• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Short answer questions (1 Viewer)

Bobbo1

HSC
Ok how many points do you need for the number of marks??
For science, 1 mark = 1 point, but our teacher said we only need 2/3 points for a say 5 mark question, anyone want to confirm this??

And just confirming no dot points are allowed right?

fiesycal

HSC
Just quickly about science is this chem phys or bio. At our school if you have a 5 marker you'd better put more than 5 points or more than 6 points for a 6 marker and so on. For eco short answers its not really about the marks its mainly about answering the question. To get a good idea of what you need, go through past hsc and look at the markers guidelines/comments. Also if your school gives you past papers from your own school ask for the marking guidline/comments cause those will be the most useful.

tambam

HSC
Just quickly about science is this chem phys or bio. At our school if you have a 5 marker you'd better put more than 5 points or more than 6 points for a 6 marker and so on. For eco short answers its not really about the marks its mainly about answering the question. To get a good idea of what you need, go through past hsc and look at the markers guidelines/comments. Also if your school gives you past papers from your own school ask for the marking guidline/comments cause those will be the most useful.
Its an economics thread you idiot.
And I don't do eco, I do business studies, but by the same principle, generally a 5 mark question willl be 'explain' or 'analyse' so you generally only need to name 2-3 points (from the syllabus) and that will get you 2-3 marks and then the other marks are for explanation of the point, or giving an example

fiesycal

HSC
Its an economics thread you idiot.
And I don't do eco, I do business studies, but by the same principle, generally a 5 mark question willl be 'explain' or 'analyse' so you generally only need to name 2-3 points (from the syllabus) and that will get you 2-3 marks and then the other marks are for explanation of the point, or giving an example
Look. Accelerated economics. And I did answer his question, the best way to find out exactly what his school wants is to go through past marking guidelines. Its the only factual source.

tambam

HSC
Look. Accelerated economics. And I did answer his question, the best way to find out exactly what his school wants is to go through past marking guidelines. Its the only factual source.
Gees do you thinkk doing accelerated economics makes you top?

fiesycal

HSC
Gees do you thinkk doing accelerated economics makes you top?
Hahaha no. But it does mean my advice shouldn't be dismissed so quickly, and i don't really wanna have an argument on BOS.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
1 mark = one good point
2 mark = two good points
3 mark = three good marks

etc.

Usually as long as they are good and answer the question you should get all the marks.

tambam

HSC
1 mark = one good point
2 mark = two good points
3 mark = three good marks

etc.

Usually as long as they are good and answer the question you should get all the marks.
Science doesn't work like this though.
If its a 5 mark question and you have 5 points, you won't get any more than 2-3 marks.
At least with our school's screwed up marking schemes.

x3Reii

HSC
Depends on the question really. If you get an explain for 5 marks
then its one mark for cause and one mark for an effect of that cause. So I'd do 2-3 causes and effects and maybe throw in a stat just to show a broader knowledge. And yes, no dot points unless you have 2 minutes left and you havent answered the question yet.

Last edited:

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah, but for eco the 2-3 "points" need to be explained + examples + links etc etc not just hitting the "keyword" as in science
So yeah, generally you need less explicitly different points but you have to go into detail more for eco...

I also did accelerated, am I top? =p

Bobbo1

HSC
Yeah, but for eco the 2-3 "points" need to be explained + examples + links etc etc not just hitting the "keyword" as in science
So yeah, generally you need less explicitly different points but you have to go into detail more for eco...

I also did accelerated, am I top? =p
I see, so in terms of examples, at which mark do you recommend for us to start putting in examples??
I'm assuming you wouldn't need examples for a simple 1 mark "define" question? but maybe for 2 marks and higher?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)