• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Shot at UAI with 10u (1 Viewer)

HSC
I am actually considering dropping down to 10u too...but rather then dropping ext. english..i want to drop maths :)but, mate...my brother did 10 u and he got 93.3, plenty of people i know did 10 and got >95...
i'm sure whatever you conclude, it will be what you really want..so good luck

im outz...

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I have 10 units and supposing I project my current rankings into the future I am pretty certain I will get 90+. :)

Only 10 units ever count after all.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
SlipStream said:
I hear everyone's stories about how they did 10u and got a UAI of 90 or over, but bare in mind that my idea was to do 4u english and then do easy, bludgy subjects!

But it all backfired when I moved to a new school and the course they are doing is unbarably boring! Robert Browning Poetry, Jane Austen... uhhhh!!!! We were doin Crime Fiction at my old school - about fifty times more interesting.

Here's my HSC, right at the moment:

- Ext 2 Eng
- Ext 1 Eng
- Adv Eng
- Mod His
- Anc His
- Gen Maths
- Sen Sci

I'm thinking more and more about keeping Ext 1 - regardless of how long I can keep awake during the after school lessons.

More advice very much appreciated! I read everyone's comments.

I feel for you mate I did Extension english with Browning and Austen. And I had only ten units. Stick in there it's not too hard once it begins to make sense.

Advice: Just pick apart Browning's poems using all those tahcniques they show you in Advanced English. Just know a few of his poems back to front anf have deep in depth responses to use at a moment's notice. E.g "My Last Duchess. The narrator is a control freak. He controls the poem through use of the Imabic Pantemeter."

Same thing with pride and prejudice use all those movie techniques you learn in Advnaced english. E.g "When that old bat De Bourgh is warning Elizabeth to stay away from Darcy she is farmed by the crumbling stone arch (society's institutions and expectations) whereas Elizabeth has the natural beauty of the garden behind her."

Most Important - Don't overload yourself with supplementary material.

And for Ancient History: Important. In Almost every topic everything that happened was the will of the gods! And always remember to include evidence to back up what your saying. Quotes from historians are also good.

Last edited:

Mishelli

HSC
Dose enyone know if any of my subjects Are good for UAI??

English Standard
Ancient History
Textiles and Design
Visual Arts
Drama

I'm pretty sure they aren't so I will probly end up with a UAI of around 20% or something rediculously low......

jack white

After Hours
HSC
hey, i wanna be part of the 10 units club as well...

i only picked 10 units and i love it, it is so much easier! i dropped photography (which didn't count at all) and modern history (which was the worst subject in the world in my point of view). now i do:
4unit english
society and culture
legal studies and
ancient history

it's great, i couldn't be less stressed!

just do the subjects you enjoy, not the ones you think might look good...

animaniac

HSC
if u dont like a subject it will probley be better for u to do 10u it'll be better for u so ur not so stressed cause u dont understand something in ext. and if u dont like it ur not going to learn anything

i do 10u and i dont have high scaling subjects
adv. eng
maths
TD
senior science
ancient his.

pirotess4

HSC
N/A
I'm doing 12 units and struggling, not too much but still struggling a bit to cope with the workload. But then again the only reason I'm doing it is because i will have a back-up subject....with 10 units i wouldn't have a back up incase i did really crap in a subject.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I'm in a dilemma in whether I should do 10 units or 12 units. I personally think 11 units is the best case scenario since you have back up and some worthwhile study periods. 12 units is good for backup in case an unexpected failure occurs, but if it's too much a workload, I think it's pointless. In other words if the worload stacks up, when it comes to the UAI there's simply a waste of 2 units of hard work. Also, an interesting statistic I've heard, usually the students who have more units generally attain better HSC marks and UAI, but apparently there is no definite logical reason behind this and a UAC quote says that one cannot assume that doing more units will mean a higher UAI.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)