• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Should i drop down to advanced math (1 Viewer)

Threezus

HSC
Hey guys. Currently I am doing 3 unit maths and i am not sure if i should stick it out till the end of this year or just drop down now (I am in year 11 btw). My marks have not been that good despite how much effort I have put in :( i am considering sticking it out and seeing how i go in the yearly exam and deciding on those results. But yea i would appreciate any feed back.

Thanks guys

Threezus

HSC
Will doing this year 11 3u course help me with year 12 2u

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
do you have Mr Woo?

but srs, have you been doing past papers? do you tend to cram maths or rote learn it?

Threezus

HSC
Nah i dont have mr woo, yes i did do past papers as preparation for this exam. It was really time that messed me up in this exam and a poor understanding of trig concepts that screwed me over in my AP1 (last exam)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
I reckon keep it for the time being, see how you go in the next task and make sure you prepare better. If you're still not happy with your ranks then you can drop it. Have you considered tutoring?

Threezus

HSC
Yes i currently do have a tutor however we have been struggling to keep ahead of the school. But i will take your advice and stay on and see how i go in the next task, i reckon if i accelerate and revise in the holidays i should be alright. I guess i will have to make a set of weekly notes in order to make revision easier.

Threezus

HSC
do you have any study tips i could use, i understand everyone is different but at this point i would take any advice i get into consideration

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
tbh the only thing I recommend for maths preparation is to keep doing past papers. That's really all there is to maths and that's why if you let it, maths can be a very enjoyable subject during your hsc. Most of the questions in past papers are the same if you familiarise yourself with them. I understand you're in prelim and things may be a little different to hsc.

Also, make sure you're not using a basic textbook like maths in focus (I get a feeling that you aren't using it anyway), but just a heads up. Also, learning in advance is quite helpful especially for a subject like maths where you can then consolidate your understanding of a topic and it's theory. Another thing is to understand and not rote - like you just can't rote maths, it wont work out in the end. To tackle the harder questions at the end of an exam paper requires a good understanding of maths and its concepts - that's what they're testing.

So if you break it down: learn ahead, understand what you're learning and learn it well, use a decent textbook like Cambridge + Fitzpatrick as a supplement and avoid maths in focus, do countless past papers PROGRESSIVELY (no use leaving past papers until the last day or even the last week before an exam - you need to be doing it continually to let it sink in) and do the questions on all of the topics that you have covered so far (this pretty much means that if you've done like 4 topics already, don't only focus on the latest one when you're doing past papers but actually do the questions on all 4 of them to keep your maths skills up to date otherwise there is a tendency to forget some parts of maths and trust me it's hard to relearn it if you've completely forgotten it - so keep practising.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)