• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Should I drop ex.1 maths????? (1 Viewer)

tlv6554

HSC
So I don't have a tutor bc I cant afford one but pretty much everyone in my extension class has one. I don't know if I will be able to keep up next year (Im doing ok this year). Like it just seems so normal to have a tutor and I feel quite inadequate bc I dont have one. Should I at least consider dropping the subject if people are getting better than me? Btw my teacher says I should be fine to keep ex 1 maths next year but im not sure.

si2136

HSC
N/A
So I don't have a tutor bc I cant afford one but pretty much everyone in my extension class has one. I don't know if I will be able to keep up next year (Im doing ok this year). Like it just seems so normal to have a tutor and I feel quite inadequate bc I dont have one. Should I at least consider dropping the subject if people are getting better than me? Btw my teacher says I should be fine to keep ex 1 maths next year but im not sure.
Tutoring doesn't improve your marks. It's just extra revision and learning more for the future.

You can always do that by studying more and self-studying.

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
Tutoring isn't something you need. Pay attention in class, study hard at home and don't be afraid to ask questions when you're unsure and you'll succeed in any subject you do; this is especially true in maths where studying is almost entirely just doing practice questions over and over.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
TBH if I were you, I'd still keep it

Try to self learn the content ahead of everyone else (great time is the holidays) so then you can benefit from this IMO

try to get your friends to teach you and/or obtain their tutoring resources

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
too much self doubt OP-why don't you trust yourself in your abilities a bit more. Having a tutor doesn't automatically mean better results, at the end of the day, it comes down to hard work, so in maths, it comes down to doing a lot of questions and getting really good with choosing between different strategy to get the solution quickly and accurately. Don't drop it, to drop something just because other people have a tutor and somehow that automates them getting better results is almost like saying it is not your fault you drop a subject because you don't have a tutor-persevere through it and you will get the results you deserve at the end of the day. Best of luck, don't blame the lack of tutor for a poor result-it comes down to your self-belief, persistence and passion.

chrisx000

HSC
I do the course and was told that tutoring because of the added homework can cause more stress on a student causing them to do worse

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I do the course and was told that tutoring because of the added homework can cause more stress on a student causing them to do worse
Then try to manage your time between that. Also you should try to prioritize your school work over tutoring work. TBH the best time to get a tutor is during the school holidays so then it doesn't clash with school (unless you have a part time job of a sort)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)