• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Should i take a year off? (1 Viewer)

apple2

HSC
I'm just trying to decide whether or not to take a gap year before university and was wondering if I could get the opinions of those who have done it or are considering doing it, whether they recomend taking a gap year and what kind of things they did during that year, e.g. went overseas.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
You must make good use of the time. If you have an awesome 12 month plan then do it. Otherwise, you have a lot of free time at uni anyway, iirc I have almost 3 holidays right now, and you're hardly flat out during semester.

What are you planning on doing?

Krieg

HSC
If you have a decent plan like traveling or working somewhere with good pay then it's probaby a pretty good idea. You will probably find yourself wishing you had taken one if you don't but there are obviously positives from going straight to uni.

The main trap you don't want to fall into is just doing pretty much nothing for the entire year. I have mates who planned on doing all sorts of things but they've really just wasted a year as they haven't made that much money or traveled much and now they're a year behind me in their degrees.

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
I started uni in 2005 straight from school, and it was all too much, so I took a year and a bit off and started uni- I worked for a year and thoroughly enjoyed myself, as well as really experiencing the real world, and it made so much of a difference when I did get back to uni- although it makes the stupid 18 year olds even more intolerable :\
My boyfriend did the same thing- he went to China for 6 weeks and then lived in South America for 6 months. Definitely a positive!

panicstation

HSC
I'm just trying to decide whether or not to take a gap year before university and was wondering if I could get the opinions of those who have done it or are considering doing it, whether they recomend taking a gap year and what kind of things they did during that year, e.g. went overseas.

Here is what they said in the Sydney Morning Herald. Hope the attachment opens for you

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Do eet!

After the HSC you'll realise inside you're still a kid. You've lived at home, you've went to school or had that attachment, you'll find you don't really know anything.

Taking a gap year gives you a year to get to know yourself. A deep and intimate year. You'll probably start by doing things you've always wanted to (watching movies, jacking off and playing pokemon) to doing things you'd never imagined. Reading, travelling and learning about life.

I became my own person in these months. (Even though I might need to do some revision so I'm not a total retard.)

Last edited:

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i'd say only take a gap year if you've definitely got plans that you will definitely stick to. if you want to go overseas, make sure you can afford it and plan where you want to go and what you want to do while you're there (volunteer? work? do the backpacker thing?). if you want to work, figure out what kind of work and start applying for jobs. whatever you do, don't rest on your laurels and sit at home watching tv for a year. you'll end up bored, broke and with no prospect of employment afterwards because no employer is going to look favourably on a whole wasted year with nothing to show for it. if that sounds like you, i'd go to uni. otherwise, go for the gap year.

Orphen89

HSC
This topic is proof that the internet is serious fucking business. Many people should become an hero now.

On topic: Go to uni, because (from what I hear) you get more than enough free time there, and I think you should only take a year off if you plan on going on vacation or overseas. However, even then you can still travel abroad in your second year of uni, so there isn't really much point to taking a year off IMO

poppop

HSC
N/A
If you are having doubts or even considering it, chances are that's a sign for you to take a gap year to relax and give plenty of time to think about your life and future plans. It's all for the benefit :)

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
we get like 5 months of holidays every year during uni... why would you want to take a gap year?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)