• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Significance of GPA (1 Viewer)

Miss Winey

HSC
I'm not sure about the economics faculty, but in some other faculties, your WAM and GPA have a weighting depending on the level of the course.
so in engineering

1st year is worth only 10% of your final mark
2nd yr 20%
3rd year 30%
and 4th yr 40%

so you still have an opportunity to pick yourself up after one year

here is some info from the website
WAM Calculator - Current Undergraduates - The University of Sydney
Questions most frequently asked by prospective local students - Future students - The University of Sydney

stazi

Nightman
HSC
In the eco & business faculty, there's no weighting. Pretty sure there's none in arts either.

lou071

HSC
N/A
if you want to change your degree from maths to medicine or law, do they look at your GPA?

lou071

HSC
N/A
what about transfer in same faculty like from maths degree to physics: from faculty of science

stazi

Nightman
HSC
there is no bachelor of maths, nor is there a bachelor of physics. youre talking about changing your major. for that u dont transfer.

essentially all UAC-listed courses will use half converted GPA half UAI to calculate a rank, which is then compared against others for transfer places.

medicine may be different as i think it also requires GAMSAT or whatever its called

lou071

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
essentially all UAC-listed courses will use half converted GPA half UAI to calculate a rank, which is then compared against others for transfer places.
i don't get this.
can you explain more?
if you want to transfer, does UAC do that job? and do they consider your UAI as well?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
yes. for usyd, you apply through UAC.

have a look at the transfers sub-forum in the general tertiary forums. theres a very detail sticky.

lou071

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
yes. for usyd, you apply through UAC.

have a look at the transfers sub-forum in the general tertiary forums. theres a very detail sticky.
so they do care about UAI as well?

can you post the link?
can't find it.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
half your UAI, half your GPA converted into a numerical rank.

lou071

HSC
N/A
stazi said:
half your UAI, half your GPA converted into a numerical rank.
so does UAC compare the numerical rank to 2008 UAI cutoff?

tell me if i am wrong, but if you get average D in first year, can't you transfer via uni?

matthew5

HSC
zbzb51 said:
Apparantly, Usyd calculates your GPA using the 3 most recent years of full-time study
Sorry for derailing this thread a bit, but does that mean if you do a 4 year degree (such as physiotherapy), then the first year of study means nothing in regard to GPA?

zbzb51

HSC
so is tranferring to another uni the only option if i want to reset my GPA? is it possible to do so by switching degrees, say from economics to commerce? and sorry if i sound stupid again, but it's not possible to completely restart my degree/re-do first year right? argh, man i wish it were so. anywyas, thanks for all the help guys, i really do appreciate it.

КГБ

Banned
HSC
GPA = for transfers and shit.

WAM = real shit.

WAM > GPA

zbzb51

HSC
Sorry for derailing this thread a bit, but does that mean if you do a 4 year degree (such as physiotherapy), then the first year of study means nothing in regard to GPA?
yeah i believe so. i remember reading it somewhere. however i'm not sure if that's the case in all faculties.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
It's definitely not the case in all faculties.

If you ever need to use the GPA for anything of importance, i'd suggest you contact your faculty office for confirmation on its calculation in your faculty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)