• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Social Science at UWS? (1 Viewer)

Felix-x34

Asylum Request Pending
HSC
Hey there,

I missed the UAI to gain entry to Social Science at MQ and UNSW, which leaves me with only one avenue; The University of Western Sydney.

This is the first time im looking at UWS, so I have a lot of questions about the end-result and value of having a B Social Social degree FROM UWS.

I want to work in the public service, I have no ambition to work in the private sector. That being said... Will a govt employer/recruiter discriminate against me on the basis that I got me degree from UWS? Will a UWS Soc Sci degree make myself any less eligible for a position with a govt employer?

I honestly dont care about the social life, resources, teaching calibre (Whatever it may be), evironment or prestige of UWS. I just care about the end-result and value of having a UWS Social Science degree.

But yes, I would greatly appreciate it if you folks could help me with these questions.

Regards,
Felix

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
If you personally have a problem the course in Social Science from UWS.. you could always transfer after first year.
And the public sector would be less likely to discriminate against UWS than private, you should be fine.

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
I personally don't understand the UWS hate. They're obviously accredited to be able to offer the degree...I think it comes from being a "new" university. When my parents were at uni they were ridiculed for attending Macquarie instead of Sydney, yet both ended up becoming successful...go figure.

Anyway, while I have only done one Social Science subject at UWS as part of my degree, it was enjoyable. A lot of Social Science students tend to be majoring in criminology, that seems to be the flavour of the month.

I can't offer much advice but to not let the "prestige" get to you. Marks speak a lot louder than prestige, and a universities "prestige" does not mean they have good facilities in their schools.

Case in point: my sister (who recently accepted an APA scholarship to start her PhD after completing first class honours) chose MQ over USyd for her honours as they didn't have good facilities at USyd. Not to mention she was also offered a scholarship at USyd for honours, which she also turned down and has also been offered jobs overseas. Where'd she do her undergrad? UWS. Absolute golden proof that you CAN be successful with a degree from UWS and that marks count more than prestige.

Best of luck and enjoy the rest of the holidays.

skyline

Proud Aurion TRD owner
HSC
N/A
ambermorn said:
I personally don't understand the UWS hate. They're obviously accredited to be able to offer the degree...I think it comes from being a "new" university. When my parents were at uni they were ridiculed for attending Macquarie instead of Sydney, yet both ended up becoming successful...go figure.

Anyway, while I have only done one Social Science subject at UWS as part of my degree, it was enjoyable. A lot of Social Science students tend to be majoring in criminology, that seems to be the flavour of the month.

I can't offer much advice but to not let the "prestige" get to you. Marks speak a lot louder than prestige, and a universities "prestige" does not mean they have good facilities in their schools.

Case in point: my sister (who recently accepted an APA scholarship to start her PhD after completing first class honours) chose MQ over USyd for her honours as they didn't have good facilities at USyd. Not to mention she was also offered a scholarship at USyd for honours, which she also turned down and has also been offered jobs overseas. Where'd she do her undergrad? UWS. Absolute golden proof that you CAN be successful with a degree from UWS and that marks count more than prestige.

Best of luck and enjoy the rest of the holidays.

omg, am i dreaming or did i just hear someone think alike like me, i swear your the first person to say prestige isn't that important, try telling that to the dense headed bos members they go full force and attack making fun of uws into some kind of shit hole, what you are saying is true, i said the same thing in another thread some where, but uws degrees arent shit, and its how well you do in uni that counts not the uni you came from, and your right uws is still a new uni, but its evolved alot over the years, well good thing to hear, someone should tell these idiots all the false accusations made are nothing more then a joke...

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
Yeah so true! I'm so glad some people are getting the message about the crap "prestige" debate. I'd much rather be at UWS and get awesome marks, than be barely passing at USyd or something. Not to mention I live on the outskirts of Sydney, UWS is just over an hour drive away and it's the closest uni that offers my degree...

Plus, it's all about what facilities and course structure your particular school offers. All universities have their strong schools, people should never choose their uni based on how far east in Sydney it's located (trust me, people do it).

But yes, I get people ridicule me all the time for being at UWS (and actually CHOOSING to be), but they'll be eating their words in a few years hehe.

Felix-x34

Asylum Request Pending
HSC
Thankyou very much folks for the kind insight,

Youve clarified something ive thought for a while now, that the whole "UWS-bashing" thing is an elitist and arrogant Northern-Beaches-centric viewpoint.

I've talked to the future employers I want to look at (International Civil Service, Intelligence, Federal Police) and they all say there is no preference on where you complete your degree.
In fact, one rep today told that Govt employerss legally CANNOT discriminate on the basis of where you completed your degree.

Thanks folks, hope to see you there.
Merry Christmas likewise,

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
No problems :). Are you looking to study at Penrith or Bankstown? If Penrith, then I'll see you there!

(P.S. If you do Inequality and Human Rights in first semester, I'm selling my textbooks for half price if you or anyone in your course wants them).

skyline

Proud Aurion TRD owner
HSC
N/A
ambermorn said:
Yeah so true! I'm so glad some people are getting the message about the crap "prestige" debate. I'd much rather be at UWS and get awesome marks, than be barely passing at USyd or something. Not to mention I live on the outskirts of Sydney, UWS is just over an hour drive away and it's the closest uni that offers my degree...

Plus, it's all about what facilities and course structure your particular school offers. All universities have their strong schools, people should never choose their uni based on how far east in Sydney it's located (trust me, people do it).

But yes, I get people ridicule me all the time for being at UWS (and actually CHOOSING to be), but they'll be eating their words in a few years hehe.

a high 5 to you girl :headbang:

and yeah i go uws because its closer for me, and my school also has great facilities plus i find uws to mark fair for assessments and the like, if i went to usyd id prob fail here and there and get no higher then a pass, so why should i leave if im killing it here at uws, at the end it all comes down to the same thing!!! Thats what people fail to realise and it shits me when they come out of nowhere criticizing the uni with no official evidence just saying random crap because they heard it from someone else etc...

and if people think the content we learn in uws is easy then any other uni they are so wrong, its the same difficulty in everything, in fact i know my friend doing same subjects as me, and when we compared it was almost identical, in fact id say our stuff is even harder considering he goes to unsw where you should expect much harder stuff seeing the uai cut-offs are high you got alot of high achieving students their, but overall more or less the same...i swear the prestige bullshit is meaningless.

thanks all for hearing out my rant...cheers and a merry x-mas to ya all, see you guys in uws next year, maybe haha :haha:

Last edited:

ambermorn

Tic Tac addict.
HSC
N/A
Yeah I totally hear you! What degree are you doing? I compared my psych stuff to a friend in BPsych at UNSW and there was so much similar stuff :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)