• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Socratic teaching method? (2 Viewers)

X

xeuyrawp

Re: socratic teaching method

erawamai said:
Who knows. But Ang Lee should win best director.
I think the cinematography could have been a bit more Ang Lee -style.

Demandred said:
Tis a train.
Ok, forget my blonde comment.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
Re: socratic teaching method

I asked my teachers at UTS about socratic teaching and they had pretty high opinions of it but has at times been unrealistic in that not all students would have done the pre-class readings and might even have other huge commitments during the week. another referred me to a scene in legally blonde (harvard law school).
One of my teachers who taught fed con at unsw says that in his classes of 40 he realised that at most 5 would make dialogue with him and socratic teaching was difficult...

Do you think UNSW will offer you more than UTS in the companion degree?
This i need to try and figure out- and again it depends on what i wanna do. I suppose if i want to work as a lawyer or a tax lawyer it doesnt matter at all

UTS sci is not as good as unsw - although some would prefer a generalised med sci/law over a more specific sci/law at unsw; UTS humanities is very restrictive and doesnt come close to unsw's social science programme. Commerce @ unsw is very highly regarded in the commercial sector- although wat scares me about that is that its much more competitive and harder. Im not a freak in commerce so i dont have that edge that i would have had in sci or social science- not yet anyways as business is starting to grow on me! Business/commerce is also good if i wish to gain executive/political positions later on-

i know that commerce at unsw is way better than uts- but i dont think its worth me leaving what i have here to start over there (even with the cr transfers)

HSC
Re: Socratic teaching method

The question is, which one is moonlightsonata and which one is manly chief? *<3 Jake Glyennhaal* (however you spell his damned name!)

And mr eazy i reckon that even if the socratic method is *unrealistic* at UTS it would have been better at the attempted half socratic method that was used in the tutes, especially LPH. It was so awkward, making up answers to the 'questions' that the tutor posed when everyone hadn't read the readings (or read them too long ago to remember) and then pretending to have an enlightening discussion about it. Socratic method is something that is a pain to do but I guess it beats frantically beating out questions on UTSonline at the nth hour for some minor point that wouldve been easier to discuss in class. Then again, its not realistic to expect students to complete all readings each week, especially when so many of us work - at least the tutors there understood our pain!

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC

charlie_charlie said:
And mr eazy i reckon that even if the socratic method is *unrealistic* at UTS
!
Why is it unrealistic at UTS and not at other places?

charlie_charlie said:
Then again, its not realistic to expect students to complete all readings each week, especially when so many of us work - at least the tutors there understood our pain!
Yeah thats what rob told me too- thats his opinion of it
kim is more into socratic teaching- rob isnt -even though in his tutes we had a lively discussion and i actually got involved coz there was only 11 people in there!
(i attended tutes by the three tutors coz i couldnt stay in one place every week )

UTS does employ socratic teaching in some of its courses- like torts ... but not fully... nor does unsw provide a 100% socratic education- my crim lecturer said that their socratic teaching goes as far as uts does in torts...

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC

charlie_charlie said:
The question is, which one is moonlightsonata and which one is manly chief? *<3 Jake Glyennhaal* (however you spell his damned name!)
I think I am more of a Heath Ledger type. I've not seen the film yet, but I would like to be whomever gives the most hugs in the film.

Did everyone read in the SMH on Tuesday Mr Bush's comments about going to see a 'cowboy' flick with his bud Mr Cheney ... :)

santaslayer

HSC

Yes, everyone is supposed to do the readings preclass anyways. It's a requirement. Duh. The thing that pisses me off is when the teacher puts you on the spot and you didn't do the specific reading required. Yes I am lazy. I love the socratic teaching method if I was not as lazy as I am right now.

On another note, I did see Brokeback. It was OK. Got pressured by a female friend. haha. It's ok because you get to see 2 seconds worth of female breasts which sort of balances everything out. ahhaa. Not a bad movie at all.

santaslayer

HSC

ManlyChief said:
Oh, yes ... 'pressured' into going to see it ... C'mon, you're getting intouch with your fauxmosexual side - it's good to see. Hugs to you. :)
xoxoxoxox
MC
hahahahahhaa...yes i am..:p

xoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxo

*mwuah*

HSC

mr EaZy said:
Why is it unrealistic at UTS and not at other places?
Nah I was just quoting what you said the tutors said, I just expressed it badly and with * * instead of " " . Yes, bad english from a law student. Black mark for me. :) Holidays have been far too long haha. Its not any more unrealistic there than any other uni, except perhaps there seem to be greater number of full time/part time workers there (except maybe this is a perception thing without the numbers to bac me up)

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A

ManlyChief said:
Oh, yes ... 'pressured' into going to see it ... C'mon, you're getting intouch with your fauxmosexual side - it's good to see. Hugs to you. :)
xoxoxoxox
MC
Haha. Not sure who coined that word, but that's gold!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)