• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Some questions concerning rockets or satellites (1 Viewer)

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Can anyone name any rockets/satellites which have been launched near the equator to gain a boost in velocity?

Can anyone name any satellites which have crashed due to orbital decay by atmospheric drag?

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
Can anyone name any rockets/satellites which have been launched near the equator to gain a boost in velocity?

Can anyone name any satellites which have crashed due to orbital decay by atmospheric drag?

there are heaps of rockets and satellites , but we aren't required to know their names. Most rockets are fired from the equator. NASA fires it rockets at Miami Florida to gain a boost in velocity from the Earth's rotation as it saves fuel. With the atmospheric drag bit, all LEO (low Earth Orbit) satellites experience orbital and then fall down to earth.... i think they burn up as the fall down cause if they didn't then we would need to be calling out heads every now and then... Estimation of Orbital Decay for the Soviet Satellite COSMOS 1402 here is a site... it talks about the Soviet Satellite COSMOS 1402..

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Is it part of the syllabus to know this? I never recalled learning this. Ever. Never encountered a question about this either. :p

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Probably not but I can't find the information on Google and my teacher would want me to find information like this.

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
Probably not but I can't find the information on Google and my teacher would want me to find information like this.
well tell your teacher that he/she is a real biatch and that they should be teaching you the stuff you need to know and that the students should not be wasting their time on this... and say it like u mean it!!! :chainsaw: :party:

to find satellites, just google all LEO satellites and list them in your assignment or worksheet thing, because the laws of physics says that they will fall down some time soon:hat:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)