• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

sources of business news/info/current events (1 Viewer)

nukewell

HSC
hi guys

just wondering if you educate me on any good online sources of current events and happenings in the business world. I only use the main newspapers atm, but im sure there are more comprehensive ones out here.

Reasomn i ask is i would like to keep more up to date with the business world with interviews coming up and the like

geetarjoe

HSC
N/A
NY Times Dealbook website is good for international.

SMH business section on smh.com.au is good for Australian business news.

www.dealbreaker.com is good for a laugh.

danielvh

HSC
The Economist and Australian Financial Review would probably provide all the info you'd need (and more)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
BRW is always good for conversation starters and business case studies. The Fin is only useful if you read it regularly but provides little use to most high school (or even uni) students.

I used to like using Google News to research things. Just like internet forums and Wikipedia, both other great places to read, take everything with a pinch of salt. If you're in uni (or when you get to uni; not sure if you really are from 2002 HSC), most universities have an online portal which let you access things like Factiva and IBISworld which also provide good quality information and statistics.

nukewell

HSC
seremify007 said:
BRW is always good for conversation starters and business case studies. The Fin is only useful if you read it regularly but provides little use to most high school (or even uni) students.

I used to like using Google News to research things. Just like internet forums and Wikipedia, both other great places to read, take everything with a pinch of salt. If you're in uni (or when you get to uni; not sure if you really are from 2002 HSC), most universities have an online portal which let you access things like Factiva and IBISworld which also provide good quality information and statistics.

ye i finished HSC in 2002 just had a couple yrs off before started uni : P, in my last semester of commerce (acc/fin major) at melb uni now

just want to be up to date with the happenings in the mkt, especially Australia, and just thought id see if there was any sources i was missing, thanks for all your suggestions will look into them.

If anyone has any others they look at regularly, feel free to post them, even if its a bit obscure like a blog or something, thanks

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
WSJ, marketwatch, FT, dow jones newswires (can be a bit slow though).

Newswires are good if you sit there on a computer for ~12 hours a day. It can be very boring and isolating, so you tend to read newswires back to front even if its about boring consumer sentiment surveys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)