• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Speeding demerits to be lowered (1 Viewer)

boris

Banned
HSC
Speeding demerits to be lowered | Breaking News | News.com.au

Drivers licence demerit debacle | The Daily Telegraph

Roads minister Michael Daley wants to lower the demerits incurred for low range (up to 15km/h over) speeding for full licence holders. Currently they lose 3 (of their 12) points if they are doing up to 15km/h over. P platers will still have zero tolerance.

This does not make sense to me.

"The overwhelming majority are P-platers because we've got a zero tolerance for P-platers speeding, so I can't apologise for being tough on P-platers," he said. "

This quote by Michael Daley is completely wrong

Older drivers worse than P-platers | The Daily Telegraph

Notice how this November 2008 story shows us that older drivers are infact much worse at speeding. But due to retarded laws they dont lose their licences. Now i would have thought that full licence holders would know better etc than to speed?

"Older motorists clocked up more speeding fines on a per-driver basis in the past five years than newcomers on the road aged between 16 and 19, according to the RTA"

Why do supposedly better drivers with more common sense etc get 4 chances every 2 years before they lose their licence?

and why would they contemplate lowering the demerits for full licence holders, because apparently 3 points is too harsh.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Yeah it's surprising how little you care once you get your full licence.

I never liked the idea that a kid could lose their licence by going less than 5ks over the limit. It's too easy to do, especially since every other driver on the road speeds constantly. I don't mind P platers having to watch their speed, but they should be given some room for error (maybe one warning, or a 5km/h buffer or something). I dunno eh.

boris

Banned
HSC
Im just annoyed that people who should know better get a shitload of chances, it doesnt make sense. It doesnt send a very good message to p platers either. We just have to try and not speed for a few years then fuck yeah we can tear that shit upp

decypher

HSC
The reason P platers are treated so harshly is because then the government can be seen to be doing something to 'protect children' with no chance of repercussions (after all 17 year olds can't vote). Imagine the backlash that would occur if speeding meant automatic loss of licence for all drivers.

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
This is kinda like double demerits.

"Speeding is wrong on public holidays but more acceptable at all other times"

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
it's because there's not that many of them relative to the number of old people

if there was more teenagers than pensioners they'd witch hunt old people instead

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Some ridiculous number of red P platers lost their licence since the new laws came in. 10% or something. I wonder what percentage of that was low-grade speeding, say less than 10km/h over the limit.

quik.

HSC
Not about being fairer imo. 1 point per minor offence means you can hit them up for minor offences (and thus the associated fines) more often.

15km/h over aint a thing most of the time anyways, but that's a different topic.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Im just annoyed that people who should know better get a shitload of chances, it doesnt make sense. It doesnt send a very good message to p platers either. We just have to try and not speed for a few years then fuck yeah we can tear that shit upp
I have my black bike licence, but only my red P's for the car.

Gonna smash some beers, get on a 200hp superbike and tear some shit up, no worries, my licence is secure.

But I'd better not drive a turbo daihatsu charade, eat some chocolate liqueurs, or drive mates home from a party after midnight.

it's because there's not that many of them relative to the number of old people

if there was more teenagers than pensioners they'd witch hunt old people instead
I can't think of the word, but there's a kind of discriminative bias going on here.

Young people are the 'other'. Elderly people work in parliament (i.e. our former, 60 something prime minister), so they're a known, and loved quantity. Everyone loves their Grandma's and hates teenagers, even often their own children. I don't think it's being hysterical to say many politicians and policy makers would simply be afraid of, and honestly simply hate, young people.

People also remember what a hard time they received from their parents, and policy makers when they were young, and they feel it's somehow deserved, and character building, to be cunts to be young people, and that they deserve to be treated as nothing but scum, put down constantly.

Young people don't have good lobbies and PR, like seniors do. Partly, young people don't take themselves, or their rights as seriously, and with the same level of entitlement that seniors do either. We're not as self-righteous. There's a fair bit of self-loathing among many young people going on in any case.

Last edited:

decypher

HSC
Yes, but 17 year old red p platers can't. That is what Exphate was getting at.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Meh. Who cares. If you're speeding, one only hopes you wrap yourself around a pole, that way there's one less fool on the road, permanently.
"he's driving fast... hopefully he'll end up in pole position"

CIV1501

Banned
HSC
I realise what he was saying.

Yes that would be ideal, that all speeders hit telegraph poles. but at the moment the government is putting telegraph poles infront of p platers and guide posts infront of full licenced drivers

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
also i think the fines for speeding here are considerably more fucked than sydney

Current penalties for speeding

* Less than 13 kilometres per hour (km/h) over the speed limit:
A$133 + one demerit point.
* At least 13 km/h but not more than 20 km/h over the speed limit:
A$200 + three demerit points.
* More than 20 km/h but not more than 30 km/h over the speed limit:
A$333 + four demerit points.
* More than 30 km/h but not more than 40 km/h over the speed limit:
A$466 + six demerit points.
* More than 40 km/h over the speed limit:
A$933 + eight demerit points and six month suspension.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)