• Want to take part in the BoS Trials for Maths and/or Business Studies this year?
    Click here for details
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Standard or Advanced English? (1 Viewer)

Misfitting

HSC
I'm currently doing Advanced English. Now, I've only just started the course but I've read the syllabus and had a few lessons and I now feel incompetent. I've always been an 80%+ student ever since I was in Year 7. I don't enjoy Shakespeare although, I am good at analysis. I have issues with essays but my creative writing and comprehension has always been 80%+. I'm debating whether or not to drop down to standard but, I fear that Standard may be too easy for me or I might suffocate. In Advanced, I'm doubting everything I'm writing.

Any ideas?

What would you do in my shoes?

Aysce

HSC
Do not drop to standard at all costs.

It is extremely difficult to gain a band 6 as I think in 2011 only 32 people out of 64,000 attained a band 6. Check the Board of studies website yourself - I'm not making this up.

You sound like a moderately strong student, keep advanced english. You can improve and your ATAR will thank you.

I did standard english myself unfortunately, so I hope you don't make the same mistake :)

deloving

HSC
Definitely do not drop to standard. The Advanced course is a much more rewarding experience and course. If you wish to drop, you are sacrificing higher marks for a course with only a little less workload.

Essay writing requires practice. An essay is only a logical argument (or some may call it writing bullshit down and making it make sense).

D94

HSC
N/A
I'm currently doing Advanced English. Now, I've only just started the course but I've read the syllabus and had a few lessons and I now feel incompetent. I've always been an 80%+ student ever since I was in Year 7. I don't enjoy Shakespeare although, I am good at analysis. I have issues with essays but my creative writing and comprehension has always been 80%+. I'm debating whether or not to drop down to standard but, I fear that Standard may be too easy for me or I might suffocate. In Advanced, I'm doubting everything I'm writing.

Any ideas?

What would you do in my shoes?
Let's say you drop down to Standard English, do you genuinely believe you would be in the top 0.2% of the state? (i.e. the top 60-70 students in standard). If you're not, then you won't get a Band 6 in Standard English because that is the amount of effort you will need to get a Band 6.

But if you can get a Band 6 in Standard, you should be able to get a Band 6 in Advanced. I would postulate that achieving a Band 6 in Standard is considerably harder than achieving a Band 6 in Advanced.

What exactly is different between the subjects? You write an essay or creative, the way you argue your points are the same, your level of writing is the same etc. Only the text is different, which to the average english student makes almost no difference. You will need to go beyond the capabilities of a standard student (and even an advanced student) in order to achieve a Band 6. It will make achieving a Band 6 much harder if you do Standard.

Do Advanced.

honey23

HSC
N/A
Stay in the advanced class. You seem to have the skills, so try to push yourself and develop confidence! I was in the same shoes as you (doubting everything I wrote) but I'm learning that everyone has different ideas and interpretations of texts and to have confidence in my own answers. Good luck!

HSC
N/A
I absolutely sucked at english, and I managed an 86 in Advanced English with very little effort. I think pulling high marks in standard is so much harder.

If I were you, i'd stick to advanced.

enoilgam

HSC
Let's say you drop down to Standard English, do you genuinely believe you would be in the top 0.2% of the state? (i.e. the top 60-70 students in standard). If you're not, then you won't get a Band 6 in Standard English because that is the amount of effort you will need to get a Band 6.

But if you can get a Band 6 in Standard, you should be able to get a Band 6 in Advanced. I would postulate that achieving a Band 6 in Standard is considerably harder than achieving a Band 6 in Advanced.

What exactly is different between the subjects? You write an essay or creative, the way you argue your points are the same, your level of writing is the same etc. Only the text is different, which to the average english student makes almost no difference. You will need to go beyond the capabilities of a standard student (and even an advanced student) in order to achieve a Band 6. It will make achieving a Band 6 much harder if you do Standard.

Do Advanced.
Totally agree with this - you are far better off with advanced.

DancingAnz

HSC
To quote a good friend, "If you can spell 'cat' don't do standard".

But honestly, I suck at english and i'm pulling through quite we'll so you'll be fine!

nifkeh

HSC
advanced, the workload is more or less the same as standard but as others have said it's harder to do as well in standard. Only the texts are different, but if you want the best atar as possible by all means do advanced, standard is not by any means a lot easier

Misfitting

HSC
Wow. I mean, I knew people said it was hard to get a band 6 but, I didn't know the statistics!

I'm thinking of sticking with advanced now.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Please stay in Advanced. There is not a massive difference in the coursework (imho often Adv texts are meatier and easy to analyse) but there is a MASSIVE difference in the aligning. Like 0.2% get B6 in standard, but like 12% of people get B6 in Adv. You are a good English student and should definitely be doing Advanced.

Shakespeare will only be one of your modules, only one out of 4.

hit patel

HSC
Uni Grad
advanced or none ( which is not possible:newburn:)...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)