• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

State ranks #2 (2 Viewers)

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
So if you top externals (i.e. the actual HSC exam) you can top the state (if you don't come first in internals)?
Yeah (it's even theoretically possible to come first in neither externals nor internals, and still top the state).

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Yeah (it's even theoretically possible to come first in neither externals nor internals, and still top the state).
So if you come 3rd in internals and 1st in externals (compared to school cohort) shouldn't your rank be second? Or does it depend on the difference in marks?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
So if you come 3rd in internals and 1st in externals (compared to school cohort) shouldn't your rank be second? Or does it depend on the difference in marks?
Depends on the marks (they clearly don't just average those ranks).

A1P

Banned
HSC
So if you come 3rd in internals and 1st in externals (compared to school cohort)
If you outscore 1st & 2nd in externals by more than they outscored you in internals your HSC marks will be higher than both of them.

Flop21

HSC
What, how does this happen?
I was going to say it's simple, but I've been trying to come up with an example and it's quite hard. When you factor in ranks to determine internals, Girl C can never be higher than Girl A right? Since Girl C's external will always be girl A's internal mark??

e.g. 3 girls, girl A gets 98 internal, girl B gets 91 internal, girl C gets 90 internal. However in the externals, girl A gets 90, girl B gets 91, girl C gets 98.

Final HSC marks are: Girl A = 94, Girl B = 91, Girl C = 94.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I was going to say it's simple, but I've been trying to come up with an example and it's quite hard. When you factor in ranks to determine internals, Girl C can never be higher than Girl A right? Since Girl C's external will always be girl A's internal mark??

e.g. 3 girls, girl A gets 98 internal, girl B gets 91 internal, girl C gets 90 internal. However in the externals, girl A gets 90, girl B gets 91, girl C gets 98.

Last edited:

A1P

Banned
HSC
A's HSC mark is (90 + 98) / 2 = 94, agreed.
Whereas C's HSC mark is (98 + [90*moderation factor]) / 2 ; if the cohort's exam average is higher than their internal average the moderation factor is >1 and C's HSC > A's.

PS: The common saying that if you rank 3rd you get the 3rd highest exam mark (as your moderated internal mark) has been shown again & again to be incorrect.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)