• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Straw Dogs (1 Viewer)

walrusbear

HSC
I watched this film earlier today and it's very interesting, i must say!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067800/

It's the first Peckinpah movie I've seen, so the violence was no big shock. I found it quite well made but it seems somewhat ambivalent in its meaning.
The film can be seen as somewhat reactionary in its values of masculinity. It's hard to discern what Peckinpah is getting at; whilst the violence isn't glorified are we suppose to approve of David's violent awakening? Is it a coming of age tale with a very primitive understanding of 'masculinity'? Or lamenting the primitive nature of masculinity?

There's also an intense rape scene which annoyed many feminists; and I can see why. However I think it works in the context of the film; which wears its subjective masculine eye on its sleeve.

anyone else seen this have an opinion on the political nature of this film??

aside from this it's quite well made i'd say.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
I'll get back to you in a couple of days. My friend just it to me and I'll give it a go as soon as I get through this big assessment period.

walrusbear

HSC
You guys are definitely on my shit list!

*bump*

so i guess no one has seen or cares about straw dogs

but i figures i might as well bring up some other Peckinpah movies

after a long time searching i finally saw Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia. It sure met my high expectations, I found it a much more satisfying film than straw dogs. There seems to be a much more ambiguous sense of morality than straw dogs went for.
anyone else seen this fine revenge movie?

Namlet

The Yellow Pirate!
HSC
Watched this a few years ago, interesting idea and the way it brought out the character's act of revenge on the people. A- movie by Peckinpah.

Nam - Trying to fill the void of watching more semi-trippy violent movies.

CalGuy22

HSC
I haven't seen Straw Dogs in a long time, but I've watched both The Wild Bunch and Major Dundee (in a new restored print) recently--both of these are excellent. both wander a bit thematically and narratively, but they have some amazingly beautiful (and violent) moments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)