• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Student OPAL cards (3 Viewers)

D94

HSC
N/A
It's in myUNW student tab down the left hand side.

Also make sure you just put in the number, no 'z'.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Ordered mine, yay. No more going to the bus stop 2 mins earlier on Mondays to buy travel tens!

D94

HSC
N/A
Last week, I saw a guy rush out of the bus, attempting to tap off, but his card was in his bag, so he placed his bag against the card reader. Needless to say, the machine didn't register the tap, and so he would have paid the full journey for the bus trip.

Please remember to properly tap off and not look like a fool to half the bus.

QZP

HSC
Opal website doesn't make it explicit about when a new journey starts so if anyone could clarify his scenario:

Edit - I guess the question can be better phrased as:

Does a new journey start after 60 minutes from the START (first tap-on) or END (last tap-off) of the old journey?
If none of the above, does it start after 60 minutes from the latest TAP-ON/TAP-OFF (choose one) of the old journey in the case where you have multiple trips in one journey?

I'm asking because I have to bus --> train --> bus to UNSW and the transition times between each is less than 1 hour but the total time elapsed since the first bus is more than 1 hour. I want to maximise my journeys to save money after my 8th journey

Last edited:

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Last week, I saw a guy rush out of the bus, attempting to tap off, but his card was in his bag, so he placed his bag against the card reader. Needless to say, the machine didn't register the tap, and so he would have paid the full journey for the bus trip.

Please remember to properly tap off and not look like a fool to half the bus.
I just gonna use the loophole to max out the 8 trips as quickly and cost efficiently as possible. Coz its 3 interchanges for me from home to uni and vice versa. So I'll end up saving maybe $10 a week extra through having free trips to and from uni

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Apart from going to uni less than 4 days a week, a mymulti2 is cheaper for me.

mreditor16

HSC
Opal website doesn't make it explicit about when a new journey starts so if anyone could clarify his scenario:

Edit - I guess the question can be better phrased as:

Does a new journey start after 60 minutes from the START (first tap-on) or END (last tap-off) of the old journey?
If none of the above, does it start after 60 minutes from the latest TAP-ON/TAP-OFF (choose one) of the old journey in the case where you have multiple trips in one journey?

I'm asking because I have to bus --> train --> bus to UNSW and the transition times between each is less than 1 hour but the total time elapsed since the first bus is more than 1 hour. I want to maximise my journeys to save money after my 8th journey
Read through this -

Reactions: QZP

D94

HSC
N/A
I just gonna use the loophole to max out the 8 trips as quickly and cost efficiently as possible. Coz its 3 interchanges for me from home to uni and vice versa. So I'll end up saving maybe $10 a week extra through having free trips to and from uni
Well I use a MyMulti3 so I'll be saving regardless. Don't feel like wasting several 1 hours for the sake of saving a few dollars each time. Being cost efficient does not necessarily mean you are being time efficient.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Well I use a MyMulti3 so I'll be saving regardless. Don't feel like wasting several 1 hours for the sake of saving a few dollars each time. Being cost efficient does not necessarily mean you are being time efficient.
Well one thing that comes into mind is catching a bus from lower to upper campus in a break instead of walking if you need to go that way.

I guess it is quite convenient for me though in the sense that I'll be in Randwick a little each week so I could possibly make a saving. However the fact that an OPAL card is a lot more convenient to use might be worth the few dollars extra than buying multi2s each week.

QZP

HSC
Calculated it to $21.96/wk on Opal by taking advantage of the weekly travel reward. Very convenient for me too since my only non-compulsory journey (i.e. not the journeys between my house and UNSW) is a single 1-stop journey during my monday break. :D

Everyone try to take advantage of it!! My friend got it at $15/wk so lucky.

Edit: NVM!! Reduced it to $17.10/wk for me :D So stoked

Last edited:

Larche

HSC
So how does this work for USyd? I already completed enrolment and said I wanted to apply for concession this year, but theres no other info after that. I also tried applying for it on the Opal website but after I put in my SID my application gets rejected :( Because apparently I haven't allowed USyd to share my info with the Opal people?

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
There should be something on U Syd's website about opal and that you consent to them sharing info with transport nsw. takes a day or two.

Smooth Operator

HSC
How does everyone feel about disclosing their info and essentially how/where they travel to relevant agencies?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)