• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

study hours (3 Viewers)

s0k0y0e0

HSC
Az-jay said:
one of our deputy principals informed us that if we were serious about our hsc then we should be doing two hours of study per unit we take per week.

i have 13 units and therefore should be doing 26hrs of studying per week.
i believe this is way too much and incompletly silly.

what do you guys think of this and how much studying do you do or aim to do?
I also do 13 units, and I'm telling you I have never done 26hrs of study per week! My aim; I don't know, but I have a study timetable I try to stick to every day after school... :uhhuh:

m_isk

HSC
N/A
since the minimum number of subjects for the hsc is 4, that would mean 20 hours and that's just the week days. Well, my crazy maths teacher, who used to teach at an equally crazy selective school is always depressing us by saying that from ahhh two months ago, we should be doing 5 hrs on weeknights and double that for the weekends (yep, 10hrs sat AND sun). The funny thing is, apart from tha fact that this adds up to 45hrs per week ( a full time job, apart from school), that this is apparently the LEAST we should be doin. hahaha nutcase

reemz

HSC
honestly if we study 45hrs a week i think we are all going to die from lak of sleep. why cant people realise that we have other responisibilities! im going ok so far in the top 3 in all my subjects exept english but still im findin it so hard copin with studing and takin care of siblings and my xtracurriculm stuff like the gym! i dont no how da hell im gona b getin a good mark!

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Everyone has a limit, and so with enough study you can reach your limit but continued study after that is not going to make you do any better. Thats my theory at least.

Trev

stix
HSC
Shite, I'm lucky if I do an hours homework a night, and that is all I seriously do. Though, it isn't a good idea since im behind in every subject but one. It has been nearly all holidays and I still haven't started anything but my ext2 catchup on conics crap! *cries*. I'm going to have to start doing stuff soon otherwise I won't make the cut-off for the course I want hehe. (why am I laughing?)

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
I agree with melsc and amoz lilo.
I basically just finish my assessments and assigned homework.
Just curious: Does anyone do extra work?? For example, does anyone work more textbooks for math 2/3u than asked by your teacher?

Libbster

HSC
If we are asked to do certain questions of an exercise for maths, I do all of the exercise as I find it helps me understand more.

7th Sign

HSC
i dont study at all only when exams are comming up like 3 weeks before them man i need to get my study routine going....i need to get something going lol....

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
I wasted the whole holidays :(
It was prob coz my exams were b4 the hols. mayb if i had them when i went back this term, i wouldnt hav taken these hols so easily. I didnt study at all. I only went 2 a business and legal lecture and thats it.
I didnt do much on my assessments-i have a legal one and a major
i found articles for legal, thats bout it
school starts tomorrow so homework will be back!

monique66

hyperbole said:
Just curious: Does anyone do extra work?? For example, does anyone work more textbooks for math 2/3u than asked by your teacher?
i try to do other things, if not textbooks, like worksheets...but not so often

When does everyone have their trials? Mine are the last two weeks of this term so i need to actually study now, damn i should have used the hols more :mad:

bustinjustin

HSC
Argonaut said:
Four to six hours (usually 4pm to 8pm or 10pm) after school (depends on my mood) and ten hours (or more, but rare) on weekend.

I just found the time, I had heaps of it lying around. Plus, I had a major falling-out with my friends just before I decided to start studying (why they couldn't wait another two months was beyond me) so I didn't have to sacrifice my social life or anything - by the time I was set to start, I didn't have one.

So it's not that amazing. I just motivated myself and took advantage of when things went pear-shaped.
Hmm yes i can understand
i think il go pick a fight with my friends now
screw high school memories
lets face it, friends aren't going to get me anywhere in my career or life
they'll only get you off your faces
and maybe if they're good (and relatively sober)
they'll help you get up and take you back home - or to the nearest shelter anyway

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
wow good luck wit ur trials damnation! mine are week 3 next term! this term 4 me is just hectic wit assessments iv got 11... including 2 major projects-so yeah studying wont happen will the hols, but i cant do what i did these hols-that is nothing...

monique66

joe_m_2000 said:
wow good luck wit ur trials damnation! mine are week 3 next term! this term 4 me is just hectic wit assessments iv got 11... including 2 major projects-so yeah studying wont happen will the hols, but i cant do what i did these hols-that is nothing...
thanks, i'll need it :rolleyes: What 2 major works do you have? I only have one and thats due in august so after my trials are over i'll look into that...(oh and in the time b4)

SmileyCam

HSC
just before exams I do 9-10 hours of study a day on weekends and 5 on a school day, and we had our half-yearlies right after easter, so I did about 36hrs on the easter 4-day weekend, and it paid off, 1st in everything but english ^_^ (I don't like english)

vojnik

HSC
Well study time varies from person to person. Might take someone 4 minutes to learn a certain thing, might take someone else 40 minutes.
Study shouldnt be a chore. If you study for personal enjoyment, and not for marks, then you will do fine.

waterbottle

your buttcheeks is warm
HSC
hyperbole said:
I agree with melsc and amoz lilo.
I basically just finish my assessments and assigned homework.
i only do 2u maths but i have about 3 maths text books (apart from the one we use at school) and i work from all of them when i have an exam/assessment coming up. i also have two different tutors. but maths is my only subject like that, i don't do crap for the others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)