• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

study (1 Viewer)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
ok, since at uni you study rather than doing h/w, im just wondering how uni peoples study?

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
yeah , even i wanted to know this..
thanx for asking hipsta_jess!!

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
usually you have prescribed readings for each course, you have to read over them before your lecture, then discuss the lecture and your readings in the tutorial. you will often get set exercises to do each week as well.

but generally dont worry about stuff unless you're gonna be assessed on it

Majesty

HSC
N/A
Or you can be like me and dont attend lectures, tutorials all semester. Just do the assignments and study ur arse off 2 weeks before the exams. :D
More fun this way. keke

aspect

Originally posted by hipsta_jess
ok, since at uni you study rather than doing h/w, im just wondering how uni peoples study?
there is usually "homework" for tutorials, and its usually optional.

doing these would be a good place to start for studying

sunny

meh.
HSC
I agree...even if you want to be complete bum, at least do some tute question - it can be useless showing up to tutes without having looked at some questions depending on the way the tutor teaches.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Thats hard to say....some people read the text once and have it permanently engraved in their heads, other people can never get it.

I'm on a D average now though....and mostly I attended all my lectures, did most my tutes and started my assignments early (you can't rush comp assignments)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by sunny
Thats hard to say....some people read the text once and have it permanently engraved in their heads, other people can never get it.

I'm on a D average now though....and mostly I attended all my lectures, did most my tutes and started my assignments early (you can't rush comp assignments)
so basically do all the work that they give u, and nothing else- will give ya distinction average?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
not necessarily, i think it would depend on your memory and the committment to the work they give you and stuff
and it also prob depends on your degree a bit too, like it would prob be easier to get a D in arts than in law

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
not necessarily, i think it would depend on your memory and the committment to the work they give you and stuff
and it also prob depends on your degree a bit too, like it would prob be easier to get a D in arts than in law
yeah, true that- but i just wanna hear from other distinction averagers, if they do extra work than whats asked of u, to get a distinction average?

sunny

meh.
HSC
nope! I didn't even do all the work that was asked of me!

I slacked off with my maths tutes about week 7 onwards....not that I didn't do them, I just didn't do them as thoroughly cause I didn't have the time for them.

But you know it can't be guaranteed that you do the work you'll get a D - some crap might happen and people flunk their exams.

JRasnier

Well u cant really say to get a D in Arts is easier in Law, as a person thats really bad in Arts, even when there trying really hard, would go really bad in Arts nothing can change about that, as the same to someone who is doing Law, who is really bad at Law they will always go bad at law......

It's like having a plumber switch with a network engineer, theres no way they can do each others job.....

That's why its best to get something u wanna do..not to pick the course just because the job u get after has alot of money....if u do bad in it, it will be hard to get that job anywayz...

JRasnier

i was referring to hipsta_jess post on page 1, about how it might be easier to get a d in art then law...

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by freaking_out
yeah, true that- but i just wanna hear from other distinction averagers, if they do extra work than whats asked of u, to get a distinction average?
What do u mean extra work than what's asked?
I'm on a Distinction average right now, and I skipped a fair few lectures coz they were boring - however, I made sure I did the tutorial work EVERY week. To get the D's and HD's, you absolutely must understand everything every week, or else you'll stuggle to study them come exam time (thats what happened to me and maths, I left studying it till stuvac and I got screwed)

santaslayer

HSC
i would think that it depends on the subjects chosen if u hafta do extra work or not.....
im thinkin that for law u prolly need to do extra wide reading coz ur required to churn out past cases and legislation.....am i right?

Majesty

HSC
N/A
and what sorta marks do you get majesty?
2 High Distinctions
7 Distinctions
3 Credits
3 Passes

Surely not the best marks, but hey as far as i'm happy with my effort:result ratio.
Oh and all my passes have been in maths units lol. MATH130, MATH135, MATH237. Also funny thing is i went to most of the lectures for those, looks like my performance is inversely proportional to effort/attendance. :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)