• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Studying :O (1 Viewer)

mivck210

HSC
So I went ahead in senior science and sumarized the topic we've just completed, but also next terms. Just next terms summary notes are 26 pages and I have no idea how to study that do I rewrite my notes do I read them for a period of time HELP! That is a lot of shit to remember. I still have to complete the next topics for all other my subjects for next year plus practice english response and creative.

tashe

HSC
N/A
First off, look at my avatar.

Secondly, are you confident in this term's (1st topic) content already?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Ok, don't panic now. I think you don't really need to rewrite your notes on the topic you have yet to study in class because you still haven't studies the next topic in class, so you won't know exactly what is unimportant and what is the most important thing, and probably, you will need to refer to additional sources such as HSC online or other textbooks to supplement your current information, it is also advisable you add in appropriate diagrams as well, and that your summary notes includes the first and second hand investigations you have to do, this includes the experiments. Basically you need to:

For notes written on the topic you have studied already:
1)REMEMBER as well as understand all key concepts and ideas-refer to your syllabus-of all the content in senior science you have already studied
2)Make sure you get HSC past papers and complete PRACTICE QUESTIONS UNDER EXAM QUESTIONS on the content you have learnt.
3)Make sure you have organised the information in a method that assist your memory, i.e. use different coloured highlighters, include a lot of appropriate diagrams, a mind map highlighting how the key words of the module linked together-try to make links within the different dot points of the module-the more links you make, the less isolated concepts become and hence the better your understanding and enjoyment of this subject will be.
4)After doing the above, see whether you can shorten your notes even further.

For notes written on the topic you are about to study:
1)Highlight the headings and subheadings in different colour to make the information look easier to read
2)Understand the key concepts and ideas-refer to your syllabus-UNDERSTANDING is much more important than remember anything at this stage-(this applies to the notes you have summarised for next term)
3)Practice the content to be studied next term by doing some questions in textbooks and checking your answer(notice just SOME, not all). Make sure you highlight any concepts you don't understand and any questions you don't know why you got wrong and ask the teacher next term or ask on BOS in the holidays.

Just try your best to complete the next topics for your other subjects-but it is not absolutely necessary, it is much more important you make sure you understand everything you have learnt so far, consolidate your English skills by practising a lot of essay and creative and GETTING SOMEONE TO MARK IT AND GIVE YOUR FEEDBACK. It is much more important to be well prepared for any assessment tasks very early next term rather than try to learn everything at once, and remember to relax-this is so important to re-energise and motivate yourself for the entire year. Remember, HSC is a marathon:)Check out my response in this thread http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=315658&p=6476770#post6476770-this will help you further in how you should organise your holidays. Hope this post helps and may you have an ENJOYABLE and PRODUCTIVE holiday:)

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
Ok, don't panic now. I think you don't really need to rewrite your notes on the topic you have yet to study in class because you still haven't studies the next topic in class, so you won't know exactly what is unimportant and what is the most important thing, and probably, you will need to refer to additional sources such as HSC online or other textbooks to supplement your current information, it is also advisable you add in appropriate diagrams as well, and that your summary notes includes the first and second hand investigations you have to do, this includes the experiments. Basically you need to:

For notes written on the topic you have studied already:
1)REMEMBER as well as understand all key concepts and ideas-refer to your syllabus-of all the content in senior science you have already studied
2)Make sure you get HSC past papers and complete PRACTICE QUESTIONS UNDER EXAM QUESTIONS on the content you have learnt.
3)Make sure you have organised the information in a method that assist your memory, i.e. use different coloured highlighters, include a lot of appropriate diagrams, a mind map highlighting how the key words of the module linked together-try to make links within the different dot points of the module-the more links you make, the less isolated concepts become and hence the better your understanding and enjoyment of this subject will be.
4)After doing the above, see whether you can shorten your notes even further.

For notes written on the topic you are about to study:
1)Highlight the headings and subheadings in different colour to make the information look easier to read
2)Understand the key concepts and ideas-refer to your syllabus-UNDERSTANDING is much more important than remember anything at this stage-(this applies to the notes you have summarised for next term)
3)Practice the content to be studied next term by doing some questions in textbooks and checking your answer(notice just SOME, not all). Make sure you highlight any concepts you don't understand and any questions you don't know why you got wrong and ask the teacher next term or ask on BOS in the holidays.

Just try your best to complete the next topics for your other subjects-but it is not absolutely necessary, it is much more important you make sure you understand everything you have learnt so far, consolidate your English skills by practising a lot of essay and creative and GETTING SOMEONE TO MARK IT AND GIVE YOUR FEEDBACK. It is much more important to be well prepared for any assessment tasks very early next term rather than try to learn everything at once, and remember to relax-this is so important to re-energise and motivate yourself for the entire year. Remember, HSC is a marathon:)Check out my response in this thread http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=315658&p=6476770#post6476770-this will help you further in how you should organise your holidays. Hope this post helps and may you have an ENJOYABLE and PRODUCTIVE holiday:)
:eek2:

jnney

lemon
HSC
I think you're over-stressed. It's okay to take things slower. Your brain can only take in so much information each day. Break the syllabus into sections. It might be useful to plan out how much you want to go through each week (etc.) Most importantly, be realistic about it - 'Yeah I can totally memorise the first topic in a week'. Maybe you can, but will that be stored your long term memory? Is your study going to be effective? Once again, be realistic.

Make your notes easy to read. Are those 26 pages massive clumps of text? It might be helpful to change that format depending on the way that you prefer to learn - via looking at or drawing pictures? lots and lots of text? reading aloud?

There is no rush. Do not move on from the first section until there are no more ambiguities. A good way to test out how much you know is to try to answer some past paper questions, and get someone (teacher/tutor) to mark them for you (alternatively you can do that yourself via referring to the sample answers - although you should get a second opinion, because sample answers can be crap). No rush. Don't do anything under 'timed conditions' until you feel like you're ready.

The key to being able to remember information is thinking about the information. Thinking about information can mean - trying to understand a concept, teaching it to a classmate/ invisible person, drawing diagrams, re-organising your notes, doing exam questions, etc. The more that you think about something, the longer you will remember it. That's not to say you need to revise something every day - perhaps doing a few questions once every 1-2 weeks to refresh your memory (once you have fully understood what you are trying to test yourself on).

Keep calm. It's okay. You have time. You really do. The more time you spend freaking out, the less time there is for you to actually do anything.

Good luck. It'll be alright haha.

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)