• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Studying While you sleep! (1 Viewer)

Dr_Doom

HSC
I was just reading a book called "Mastering the HSC" by Peter Sheahan.

And he says that you can record yourself on tape saying all of your notes. Then listen to it while you are sleeping and your brain will automatically learn it. How sweet is that lol! Problem for me though, I can't get to sleep if I hear much noise. :|

I saw this on the simpsons, but I never knew it actually worked lol!

Josh

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
haha i heard about it as well but i never believed it. give it a try and tell if it actually worked! =]`

Dr_Doom

HSC
Lol of corse not. But this guy is a walking example. He has an example for every study technique!

This is how he studied. He has is initial notes. Summaries them. Then summarises the summaries. Then makes alot of dot points. And creates acronyms about the dot points.

I doubt one word is going to trigger a whole topics worth of stuff...

and you wont believe this but lol. He says buy several different scented oils. Rub them around your wrist while your studying. Then when its exam day, put some of the oil on a tissue. And take it in the exam with you. It will then help you remember all you studied..!

Im gunna try that lol! But then everyone in the exam room will be like, wtf smells like eucalyptus oil :|

HSC
yeahhh i tried it for my accounting exam .. well i dont really think it works well the mark i got back .. yeah i recorded a summary of every transaction i had to memorise and my friends were laughing at me ... yeahh i did it on my mp3 ... listen at night and fade away .. to sleep .. but i guess i would still do it again for other subjects.. just incase my brain deicideds to work a certain day and not ...

tc ppl

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Dr_Doom said:
Lol of corse not. But this guy is a walking example. He has an example for every study technique!

This is how he studied. He has is initial notes. Summaries them. Then summarises the summaries. Then makes alot of dot points. And creates acronyms about the dot points.

I doubt one word is going to trigger a whole topics worth of stuff...

and you wont believe this but lol. He says buy several different scented oils. Rub them around your wrist while your studying. Then when its exam day, put some of the oil on a tissue. And take it in the exam with you. It will then help you remember all you studied..!

Im gunna try that lol! But then everyone in the exam room will be like, wtf smells like eucalyptus oil :|
that just seems wrong lol. but the guy does sound really good. does he live in sydney?

Dr_Doom

HSC
Not sure he has a site http://petersheahan.com.au

It has a few free resources on it.. Like weekly planners and stuff.

He really wants people to set GOALS. He thinks if you don't set what you want, you will go all over the place.

he gave one example about this. That a laser will only burn through a piece of sheet metal if you focus it on the one spot. But if you move it around it will never achieve anything. So he says to set a Goal and our brains will automatically store anything relavent to it...

Anything thats automatic is fiine by me :D

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Dr_Doom said:
Not sure he has a site http://petersheahan.com.au

It has a few free resources on it.. Like weekly planners and stuff.

He really wants people to set GOALS. He thinks if you don't set what you want, you will go all over the place.

he gave one example about this. That a laser will only burn through a piece of sheet metal if you focus it on the one spot. But if you move it around it will never achieve anything. So he says to set a Goal and our brains will automatically store anything relavent to it...

Anything thats automatic is fiine by me :D
ill check it out. yeah i think its true about what he says about goals. better start setting some that will stick !

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
Procastination..... something we need to deal with :(

studying while you sleep aye... cool... should get into that shit ;)

Lexie1001

HSC
ha i actually tried it...cos one of my friends did it for french and her vocabulary expanded heaps, but i recorded my multimedia notes for ipt. i dont think it worked that great, probably would have been a better use of time to study instead of wasting an hour recording them. plus my ipod earphones gave me an earache in the morning and i found it really hard to get to sleep with my voice droning on in my ear. i don't think it works for everyone.

vizman

HSC
sounds dodgy...might work though..i'll give it a try next time :)

illmatic

NaS
HSC
seriously, that sounds gay. 24/7 study ay? did you stop and think that school isn't everything?

dandel26

HSC
i wouldn't advise it, u probably wont be able to get to sleep

gamecw

HSC
i often figure out how to do a hard maths question in my dream..

well until 2 months ago, i pretty much learnt more when i was sleeping

Dr_Doom

HSC
Omg It Gave Me The Worst Headache! Couldn't Get To Bed Until 3! Had To Have Panadol To Sleep!

Jessica_00

HSC
N/A
Hahah Ive actually did that for my trials for Society and Culture concepts and for Vietnamese Language test...I dunno how much it helped but I did get 95 in the test so ..hmm you can try I guess!

Dr_Doom

HSC
Yeah... even though I was extremely tired because of it, I did end up remembering it all :\

Sandez

Hay Guys
HSC
politik said:
Sounds extremely dodgy to me. Why can't people just study normally - ie, read the content, write it down, assess themselves on it? I wouldn't bother with this crap. I listen to the radio on occasions, and cannot remember anything that was happening while I was asleep.
Because I'm lazy and play internet pool, rather than study.

It works. I did it for my English half yearlies and got 96.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Yeah, I went to that dude's website, and during my 5 minute visit there I saw about 7 different punctuation and grammar mistakes. Not very good presentation when attempting to sell something to students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)