• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Subject Selections + Scaling (1 Viewer)

Deathless

HSC
Hey. need some help please. I honestly did not know that scaling plays such an important role in the UAI... Stupid I know, but can anyone advise me what I should do...

This was in Prelim

I do Economics = Above average (would be near top, if I didn't screw up in two of the assessments)
Maths Ext 1 = Above average
Maths (2 unit) = Owning everyone besdies a few
English Adv = 6th
Ancient Hist = 4th-7th
Modern Hist = above average
Chemistry = near bottom

I can pick up Senior Science... What should I do as my subjects?

I've been thinking of either dropping Modern and Chem for Senior Science till I heard it scales so bad its not funny. I will most likely pick up Ext History for Ancient, and if I could do Latin it would be great but I don't think I can since I didn't do Prelim course... SO what subjects should I do? Should I full study and somehow try in Chemistry and try get 70's- 80's or drop it and do History which I easily get 75s+ without studying and try in HSC to get like 90's in it? Or should I drop both for Senior Science and aim for 100 and get scaled down to 90 (unlikely to get 100 tho)

Someone help, im so worried.... If I get 90 in all the subjects above except modern and chemistry which is replaced by senior science, I would get a UAI of 84... The scaling is just pissing me off, especially how it easy it is to screw up in the histories in an assessment or essay...

absorber

HSC
I reckon you should choose subjects more based on how well you're doing than by scaling...
Your current subjects scale well with the exception of ancient, and none scale horrible. Senior Science does not scale well, yes, but doing well in that would be better than being near bottom in chem

Deathless

HSC
But I really enjoy Ancient so I think I might keep it, and theres no work in it at all, but I thought Senior Science was capped or soemthing that you can only get a certain mark no matter how high you get?

Schoey93

HSC
No, you can achieve any aligned mark in HSC Senior Science. That is, you can achieve a reported mark of 100. You can also achieve a RAW mark of 100 in SS. However, a raw mark of 100 in SS can only contribute about 92 marks to your ATAR.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
No, you can achieve any aligned mark in HSC Senior Science. That is, you can achieve a reported mark of 100. You can also achieve a RAW mark of 100 in SS. However, a raw mark of 100 in SS can only contribute about 92 marks to your ATAR.
This +1

HSC
if you like the subjects then keep it, coz mainly its all about the marks you get in those subjects

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)