• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Super high intense work outs (1 Viewer)

Tim035

HSC
Just thought I'd get an opinion on this, I'm trying out a new routine at the moment where my work outs go for not much longer then 30 - 40 minutes, but consist of very little rest and doing super sets.
For example with the one set of dumbells (~20lbs), I'll do 10 front raises, straight into 10 lateral raises, straight into 10 up right rows, straight in to 10 shoulder press (standing).
Rest for 60 seconds, then repeat this for 2 more sets.

Another example. 10 incline bench press, straight into 10 flies, straight into 20 pushups.

By 30 - 40 minutes the muscle groups I've worked are burning like crazy, I feel (or do) as if I'm going to puke. However once I stop, within ~15 minutes I feel almost fully recovered and I don't feel the slightest bit stiff or sore the following day.

Can this type of workout still build solid muscle and make regular gains in strengh? The reason it appeals to me is due to the time constraints I often face (living 2 hours away from uni) and that I work out at home, where I have a bench press, 2 sets of dumbells and ~100kg of free weights. Thus I'm a bit restricted in the types of exercises I can perform.

russs

yeeeee
HSC
Most strength gains will occur in very low rep training i.e. < 3 reps. Most mass gains will occur between 5 reps and 8-12 reps (the 8-12 range seems to depend on genetics, some people get nothing out of higher reps some do).

With the kind of training you are doing, you'l burn out the muscles with lactic acid, get tired and a s a result increase your endurance. This isn't the kind of routine for strength/mass gains.

If you want to get sore and stay sore for a few days, hit 5-12 reps with at least a minute rest time and see what works best.

Tim035

HSC
Most strength gains will occur in very low rep training i.e. < 3 reps. Most mass gains will occur between 5 reps and 8-12 reps (the 8-12 range seems to depend on genetics, some people get nothing out of higher reps some do).

With the kind of training you are doing, you'l burn out the muscles with lactic acid, get tired and a s a result increase your endurance. This isn't the kind of routine for strength/mass gains.

If you want to get sore and stay sore for a few days, hit 5-12 reps with at least a minute rest time and see what works best.
Very true, I actually sat down today and did a lot of reading and research as well as defining what I really want to get out of weight training. As a result I've ditched that routine and gone back to more compound lifts at lower reps.

rowdyroddy

HSC

whats the kind of routine for strength-mass muscle gains?

Tim035

HSC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)