• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Synaptics pointing devices... (1 Viewer)

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Hey all.

Some laptops (ie mine) come with some Synaptics software, which allows you to turn, for example, certain areas of your touchpad into virtual scrollbars or right/middle buttons, etc.

However, some laptops (ie my girlfriend's) don't come with that software. Admittedly it's a sony and I haven't looked into whether thye have their own similar software, but does anyone have any idea (becuase i'm too lazy to get up and try it myself just yet) as to whether I'd be able to simply install the synaptics software on her laptop and have it work as normal?

I'm pretty computer literate. I grew up around them, dad used to sell them, I work in a major consumer electronics store, so I'm at home with the drill of "don't do anything the manufacturer doesn't say you can"...

Technically the touchpads are just a ps2 mouse (on both lappies) so the theory would go it should be fine. Anyone had any experience?

J0n

N/A
HSC
I have a Sony Vaio, and it already came with the right/bottom sides of the touchpad being able to scroll. To add/change fuctions, you can just open the 'mouse' applet in Control Panel, or also, sometimes there is a touchpad icon in the system tray which you can double-click to bring up the same dialog.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
ta.. GF has installed a USB powered wirleess mouse so that might've killed the sony stuff. Will reinstall..

santaslayer

HSC
I have a toshiba...it comes with the synaptics software on a DVD but won't let me install ANYTHING on another computer system...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)