• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

tacitus (1 Viewer)

R

randhi

hi, i was wondering if somecan tell me if Tacitus wrote about the bad guys in The Annals because in this quote "Even glory and merit makes enemies - by showing their opposites in too sharp and critical relief." or is that glory and power will make some turn into a horrible person.

Plebeian

I'm not 100% sure but I think what that means is that by showing some people as glorious, it will contrast badly on others who aren't depicted in the same positive way.

eg. Tacitus excessively glorifies Germanicus. This makes Tiberius seem worse than he really is.

Caratacus

HSC
N/A
Even decent people [good senators], who have achieved fame and who possess excellent qualities - even people like these attract envy and dislike, because their excellence makes the defects of others stand out all the more by contrast. So lesser people willl dislike them for that reason alone.

Zhang San Feng

护花使者
HSC
eg. Tacitus excessively glorifies Germanicus. This makes Tiberius seem worse than he really is.
definitely ... but then if u look at it again...all teh credit should go to germanicus' wife :D ... he is bias despite what he says...just have the good points up front, followed by 5 pages of bad points :p ... of course he made some stuff up too, how else would he have known what was said between husband and wife in their bedroom, by themselves, on the bed...that is unless he was under the bed :p

R

randhi

Hey guys, this is going to be really stupid but i can't write the opening paragraph for my Tacitus essay... anyone want to enlighten me on how to do it??

Caratacus

HSC
N/A
It depends on the topic (essay question) and the line your essay is taking on it.

Your opening sentence should

1. Refer to the key terms (or issues) of the question (including the HSC verb), if possible in your own words

2. Indicate the line you are taking on the question

The rest of your introductory paragraph should preview the main points in the argument you will be presenting in the main body of your essay.

Eg

If the question was:

"Discuss how far Tacitus is biased in his depiction of Germanicus"

your opening might be

"While it is possible to trace a basis of historical truth in Tacitus's portrait of Germanicus in the Annals, there seems to be little doubt that the historian presents Germanicus essentially as a dramatic foil to Tiberius, heightening the young patrician's good qualities and achievements to more effectively cast Tiberius in the character of a tragic tyrant. The main ways Tacitus does this are w, x, y and z, as Wilhelm Frankenfurter has argued; although, as I shall discuss, Professor von Brainstorm has criticised this interpretation because of a, b and c..."

and so on; then go on to discuss in detail in your main body w, x, y and z, and a, b and c.

Of course, your question is probably different from this & you may take a different kind of line.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)