• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Tax File Number? (1 Viewer)

bluemonday

HSC
Hi

In the enrollment info booklet, it says I need to bring a Tax File Number if I'm "Deferring HECS contribution payments".

I don't have a TFN.

Does this apply to me? I've got the form to send off to get one, but it will take 28 days, so obviously I won't have it for enrollment.

Anyone in a similar situation?

Cheers

chooette

PhB Chemistry (Hons)
HSC
You need your tax file number to get your HECS, so you really need one if you're deferring your payments. I guess if you don't have one, sort out to get one ASAP and ask someone to do with enrolment what you should do...

bluemonday

HSC
I'll ring ANU Monday morning.

A friend has said I can apply for it now and they will accept the application pending receipt or something, hopefully that works out.

Thank you

moc2009

HSC
N/A
I thought everyone gets a TFN in year 10 (we did when I lived in WA in year 10) are you sure you don't already have one?

If not don't worry, as said above you can hold off on the HECS application until you get your TFN.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
You could always call the ATO...
I know that I was able to get my TFN quoted to me over the phone, once giving my address, DOB, etc.

Peartie

HSC
I thought everyone gets a TFN in year 10 (we did when I lived in WA in year 10) are you sure you don't already have one?

If not don't worry, as said above you can hold off on the HECS application until you get your TFN.

most people will get one around year 10 so that they have one when they get a job etc...but you dont *HAVE* to get a TFN

mmm_brrraains

HSC
N/A
This is copied direct from the eCAF (for HECS etc) form that you will fill out when finalising your enrolment. As far as I know the census date is March 13. Hope it helps!

8A
Tax File Number (TFN):
Your provider is authorised under the Higher Education Support Act 2003 to collect your TFN. It is not an offence not to provide your TFN. However, you will not be able to obtain a HECS-HELP loan for the amount of your student contribution that remains unpaid on the census date unless you give your provider, on or before the census date, either your TFN or a Certificate of application for a TFN from the Australian Taxation Office (the ‘Tax Office’), stating that you have applied for a TFN.

Note: as TFNs are usually provided within 28 days of application, it is essential that you apply early to ensure you have your TFN on or before the census date. If you are applying for a TFN for the purpose of obtaining a HECS-HELP loan and it is within one month before the relevant census date, you should request the Tax Office to issue you a Certificate of application for a TFN. If you haven’t received your TFN within 10 days before the census date, you should provide this certificate to your provider as proof that you have applied, and then quote your TFN once you receive a Tax File Number Advice from the Tax Office.

You will also need to provide your TFN if you want to obtain a HECS-HELP loan if you fail to make a full up-front payment on or before the census date. If you do not provide your TFN and do not make a full up-front payment on or before the census date, your provider will cancel your enrolment as a Commonwealth supported student. Your provider is authorised to retain your TFN information only for the purpose of reporting details of your HECS-HELP loan to the Tax Office. Privacy and taxation laws protect your TFN information. There may be severe penalties if these laws are broken.

WARNING: Your enrolment as a Commonwealth supported student will be cancelled if you do not either pay up-front or give your TFN or a certificate from the Tax Office on or before the census date.

bluemonday

HSC
Thanks to everyone who posted, sorry I couldn't update earlier-

I rang the Tax Office, and they organised for me to visit the Melbourne branch, where they gave me a certificate to provide to ANU while I wait for my TFN.

Hope this helps anyone in a similar situation.

Cheers

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
glad you got it sorted, just remember you have until census date to declare it anyway, so it's not the end of the world. Just don't leave it till the last minute!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)