• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Technique? (1 Viewer)

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Oright guys and girls other than imagery what else is in this quote?

Source: The Kite Runner

Quote for Chapter 16 Page 185-86

The infighting between the factions was fierce and no one knew if they would live to see the end of the day. Our ears became accustomed to the whistle of falling shells, to the rumble of gunfire, our eyes familiar with the sight of men digging bodies our of piles of rubble.
Thanks and this is for a speech at school!

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
What kind of technique and what is the effect of this quote? VV

The infighting between the factions was fierce and no one knew if they would live to see the end of the day. Our ears became accustomed to the whistle of falling shells, to the rumble of gunfire, our eyes familiar with the sight of men digging bodies our of piles of rubble.

FancyPenguin

HSC
i dunno, there's the stuff on sound 'whistle' and 'rumble'.

also nouns

FancyPenguin

HSC
honestly i always used descriptive/emotive language when i do essays/analysis. just use that if you need

wishingstars

HSC
"Accumulatory listing" is essentially just listing things (e.g. events, people, objects) one after the after - it's not really one of those formal techniques like metaphor, similie etc.. but I've seen it used :). In your passage the listing would refer to when the narrator describes the sights and sounds they saw.

Also for your passage,
"The infighting between the factions was fierce" - I would think you can call this alliteration (it's a pretty simple technique that a lot of people know but hey, it's analysis nonetheless!

"whistle of falling shells, to the rumble of gunfire" - onomatopoeia perhaps? It's also auditory imagery if you like those terms better.

I hope that helps out a bit.
For speeches, always remember to be a bit less formal than you would be in an essay - ask rhetorical questions and if you can, throw in some anecdotes. Try to be have a healthy mix between casual & formal tones.

:)

Fiction

HSC
Oright guys and girls other than imagery what else is in this quote?

Source: The Kite Runner

Quote for Chapter 16 Page 185-86

Thanks and this is for a speech at school!
Lets see
- Hyperbole "no one knew"
- Accumulation " whistle of falling shells -- (all the way to) --- piles of rubble"
- Inclusive language "our"

I would also advise you against using imagery as a technique. I don't think it's really specific + substantial enough (at least that's what my teachers have told me).

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Aural imagery (just to be specific)
Visceral imagery (men digging bodies)
Graphic description

Depends on the context, you can also use stuff like inclusive pronoun of "our" because its a shared experience of the horrors etc

russ3l

HSC
It'll be excessive to use the whole quotation, so break it down:

- "no one knew if they would live to see the end of the day" --> hyperbole in "no one"
- "digging bodies" + "falling shells" --> visceral, gory, macabre, martial imagery (any of your choosing)
- Accumulation --> the relentlessness and futility of war fighting
- The repeating use of alliteration: "infighting between factions was fierce" + "ears became accustomed to the whistle of falling shells" --> used to create an agitated, frantic tone etc. indicative of the horror associated with modern warfare

Key techniques will be: tone, vivid aural and visual imagery, pluralistic diction ("our")

:)

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC
... infighting between the factions was fierce and no one knew if they would live to see the end of the day. --> alliterative hyperbole

Our ears became accustomed to the whistle of falling shells, to the rumble of gunfire, our eyes familiar with the sight of men digging bodies... --> collective pronoun 'our', onomatopoia and negatively connoted language (only choose the technique most relevant to your argument - for example, if you are trying to prove that discovery is a collaborative experience, it would be best to use the collective pronoun technique to help prove this).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)