• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Teen's plea on morning-after pill (1 Viewer)

bassistx

HSC
KFunk said:
Life would be easier if things were that simple, but the law tends to dictate otherwise. An extract from a short publication called consent to medical treatment by young people:

"At common law, the position is this. Because the young woman is under 18 years of age (and therefore a minor) she only has capacity to consent to the abortion if she has a “sufficient understanding and intelligence to enable … her to understand fully what is proposed”. This is the common law test of competency, known as the test of Gillick-competency, after the English case that proposed the test. It means that the common law test of capacity to consent to medical treatment is not based on a fixed age (such as 14, 16 or 18), but on the intellectual maturity of a young individual, recognizing that this may differ in relation to various types of treatment. The justification for the test is said to be that it reflects experience and psychology."
This still means that doctors have no ethical/moral obligations unless a test states otherwise.

aMUSEd1977 said:
I'm not a vagina. Sorry :(
Bainesy said:
to be only very slightly off topic, bassistx, you are just the dumbest person ever. what does that vagina thing mean??? this is what you think about with your time??? putting your homework up your hairy lair??? did you even think about the possible consequences, like how much it would hurt??? wtf?
Bain, the quote above yours (Chris') reminded me of a video and one of the quotes was "Girls think with their vaginas". Mind you, I haven't watched it. I thought it was gross and a piss-take at "Guys think with their penis, they're dickheads". Obviously, you didn't get that. If girls really thought with their vaginas, I bet we'd all be Einsteins. But your questions make no sense. No, it's not something I think about. It was a joke.

Zrap said:
Bassistx is Islamic.
I'd like to take your fucking shit bet bainesy and shove it up your ass.
Thanks Zrap, but I'm not Muslim lol. I'm not blonde either and I sure as hell did not/would not have sex at 14. Read something other than articles on Britney, bainsey.

bassistx

HSC
The_highwayman said:
this thread would be so much better if bassistx would just stfu.
I contributed more to the pill/condom argument than anybody else. If you'd bothered to actually contribute something valuable, I'd respect you and stfu.
But you fail to impress too.

Lizakith

Go go gadget spleen!
HSC
bassistx said:
As far as I am aware, the morning-after pill is not available on PBS. That's why Chris was bitching about forking out more money.

In any case, condoms are 50c+ each. I think that's more expensive, especially if you have it a lot/multiple times a day lol.

In either case, it is still cheaper to be on the normal everyday OCP.
Well, why bother at all then really? I'm sure abstinence is cheapest if you're really that worried about the cost of contraception.

bassistx

HSC
Lizakith said:
Well, why bother at all then really? I'm sure abstinence is cheapest if you're really that worried about the cost of contraception.
I was saying it's cheaper to just use one form instead of two. And there is one for emergencies. In the end, it's cheaper that way.
I'm not worried about the cost. My argument is that condoms feel like shit but people don't seem to care. It's like "you're wasting paper, you're killing trees". But if you mention money, it captures people's attention and they'll at least consider something other than condoms.

williamc

HSC
bassistx said:
.....what to?
i dont really care, but anything besides what you got atm.

yay im off. gonna go drink some really really cold water.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
bassistx said:
My friend forgot to take it twice. She just took it the next day.
Nothing happened.
But whatever, you know. I'd make sure that I had some in my bag/wallet and some in the drawer bedside table thingy and in bathroom, kitchen, etc - if I was gonna be real reckless about it, I'd put post-its everywhere.
But like I said, I'd rather get injections or an implant. I'd try the pill, if it was shitty, then screw it.
Lol, you don't even know anything about the pill obviously. You don't get a whole heap to scatter around everywhere, you take one per day out of the packet, to make sure you're taking them on the right days and only once per day. Otherwise it'd be really easy to get confused (well, maybe for not the oh-so-smart person you believe you are, but others, defintely).

boris

Banned
HSC
lol... It actually is bad. Not so bad it could kill you, but it's not targeted at teenagers. In the US they banned it last year, I think (for teens). They said they weren't sure of the health consequences - I'm sure the girl would rather die than have a baby (in most cases).
No. It’s fucking entirely safe to use if the directions are followed and people aren’t idiots and don’t abuse it. It’s like any other form of medication. Follow the directions. If in doubt consult a doctor.
The only reason places like America (and when Abbott was minister, Australia) try and ban the morning after pill is because they think it promotes reckless sex and that children as young as 13 were getting it.
If you're in a monogomus relationship, you should only need to use one form (ie the pill) because you don't need to avoid STIs.
This is why you get check-ups, unless you're an idiot
Monogamous doesn’t mean shit if your partner is cheating with 15 dirty skanks. Being tested periodically isn’t going to do anything if you already have an STD.

It's cheaper to pay say $30 (for the morning-after) if you screwed up once a year (shouldn't happen more than once in your lifetime) rather than almost $60 annually for the normal pill.
Make sense?
Or you just front up to the emergency department and get the morning after pill for free. Also what’s cheaper; paying $60 a year for contraception or raising a kid. Do the math.

In response to the bold: that is why I said I'd rather get an implant or injections. So I would not forget
Injections need to be done every 12 weeks. They’re also expensive. A lot more expensive than the pill. Implanon is invasive.

My friend forgot to take it twice. She just took it the next day.
Nothing happened.
But whatever, you know. I'd make sure that I had some in my bag/wallet and some in the drawer bedside table thingy and in bathroom, kitchen, etc - if I was gonna be real reckless about it, I'd put post-its everywhere.
But like I said, I'd rather get injections or an implant. I'd try the pill, if it was shitty, then screw it.
Bullshit anecdotal evidence about your friend is why chicks think they can’t get pregnant from skipping a day or two of the pill.

What do you think is in Implanon and Depo Provera that isn’t in the pill? If you can't handle the pill, what makes you think Implanon and Depo Provera will be different?

Last edited:

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
boris said:
Bullshit anecdotal evidence about your slut friend is why chicks think they can’t get pregnant from skipping a day or two of the pill.
Fuck you’re dumb. What do you think is in Implanon and Depo Provera that isn’t in the pill? If you can't handle the pill, what makes you think Implanon and Depo Provera will be different?
Depo-Provera has its benefits in certain situations. People with really irregular lifestyles will sometimes find the routine of the oral contraceptive pill difficult (I can imagine pilots, flight attendents and international business women, among others, having difficulty here). Also, 3 monthly injections are often easier to keep discrete than the pill - in particular, there are many cases (in both developed and developing nations) where a women may be abused if they seek to take control of their reproductive health independent of their male partner. Depo-provera can thus empower some women who would otherwise find the regularity of the deceit involved in taking the pill unsustainable.

boris

Banned
HSC
KFunk said:
Depo-Provera has its benefits in certain situations. People with really irregular lifestyles will sometimes find the routine of the oral contraceptive pill difficult (I can imagine pilots, flight attendents and international business women, among others, having difficulty here). Also, 3 monthly injections are often easier to keep discrete than the pill - in particular, there are many cases (in both developed and developing nations) where a women may be abused if they seek to take control of their reproductive health independent of their male partner. Depo-provera can thus empower some women who would otherwise find the regularity of the deceit involved in taking the pill unsustainable.
We weren't talking about the regularity of the pill or trying to maintain a schedule.

What I was pointing out was the ridiculousness of people saying 'oh i can't handle the pill, the pill is so bad for you, the pill is bad for your body' but in the same breath saying 'oh you should have the injection'

I would assume the active ingredient in both the pill, implanon and depo provera are the same?

EDIT: Yes the active ingredients are the same.
Progestogen

Last edited:

bassistx

HSC
They contain the same "ingredients", yes.
It's just easier to have the injections rather than go on the pill. I've never been arguing for a healthier alternative. If I had, I would've stuck to latex.
My stance on this has always been convenience. But people completely ignore it, so that's why I switched to costs - to hopefully make some other point. But again, it's ignored and comments like "raise a kid" come up.
For the millionth time: It's like saying "don't waste paper, you're killing trees". People don't give a crap about trees. If you tell them they're wasting money, they just might listen.

It's more convenient to have injections (about $25-$35 for 3 months: $100-$140pa). And I mean comfortable, not cost effective.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)