• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Term 2 assessments for Legal (1 Viewer)

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
what do u guys have?
and how r they going?

we have 2 this term
our first was a family speech and report hand in
mine was on IVF
i did the speech last monday
we havent got our marks back yet
we have retreat next week so i dont get it back 4 2 weeks

our teacher gave us bloody 24 pages 2 summarise from heinemann coz were not gna b at skool all next week
were finishing the ethics, effectiveness and law reform by OURSELVES
thats bullshit ay
im so pissed :chainsaw:

we start consumers week 7

oh and we have a consumers assessment week 9 or 10 an inclass essay i think!

green_fairy

mmm, absinthe
HSC
We have a consumers assessment due next week thats about evaluating the effectiveness of the different means of achieving redress.....fun times. and we got a family in-class thats in the beginning of next term i think.

roadcone

HSC
we had an in class family essay two fridays ago, i got 24/25 for it.. umm we have a hand in shelter task that is due in like week 9 or 10 i think

goan_crazy

HSC
melsc said:
I have a 1500 word essay to do my topic is parents and children so I am doing
IVF
Surrocacy and
Adoption...havent started and its due in week 7...hmmm betta start aye
mel i gave u all those LCMD u needed for surrogacy
they are from my elite notes :D made from heinemann, macquarie and excel
so its legit stuff ;)
good luck with it

elissa

Water xXx
HSC
joe_m_2000 said:
what do u guys have?
and how r they going?

we have 2 this term
our first was a family speech and report hand in
mine was on IVF
i did the speech last monday
we havent got our marks back yet
we have retreat next week so i dont get it back 4 2 weeks

our teacher gave us bloody 24 pages 2 summarise from heinemann coz were not gna b at skool all next week
were finishing the ethics, effectiveness and law reform by OURSELVES
thats bullshit ay
im so pissed :chainsaw:

we start consumers week 7

oh and we have a consumers assessment week 9 or 10 an inclass essay i think!
we have a consumers assessment week 9, and please dont complain bout doing ethics, effectiveness and law reform yourself coz we have to do consumers all our selves, we wont have started by the time our assessment is due, and we are basically doing family by ourselves. And its sad but i seem to be the only one working.

roadcone

HSC
how come you have to do it by yourself elissa?? thats not very cool...

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
joe_m_2000 said:
mel i gave u all those LCMD u needed for surrogacy
they are from my elite notes :D made from heinemann, macquarie and excel
so its legit stuff ;)
good luck with it
WANNA c the question joe
“With reference to legal issues faced by family members, discuss the remedies and the difficulties in gaining access to these remedies”
arg...hmmm where to start

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I have 2

1 was the Half yearlies in week 1 of this term,

The other is in Week 8 and is just an inclass essay on consumers

goan_crazy

HSC
melsc said:
WANNA c the question joe
“With reference to legal issues faced by family members, discuss the remedies and the difficulties in gaining access to these remedies”
arg...hmmm where to start
sorry melly i havent been doggin u, ive been on yr12 retreat :D
ill help u on MSN if u want ;)

elissa

Water xXx
HSC
roadcone said:
how come you have to do it by yourself elissa?? thats not very cool...
coz our teacher forgot bout the consumers assessment that was in our assessment booklet. And when i told him, he decided not to set a new question.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I am getting there with mine...i'm about 1/3 or the way through and its due on Monday :) Its waaayyyy to long already...900 words and I still have to talk about surrogacy and IVF

goan_crazy

HSC
melsc said:
I am getting there with mine...i'm about 1/3 or the way through and its due on Monday :) Its waaayyyy to long already...900 words and I still have to talk about surrogacy and IVF
ive given u all the LCMD u need for it melsc so quit complaining
i had 2 do mine and FIND all that stuff i gave u!
so ur lucky!
that reminds me i would be getting that ass back this week
ill let u knoe how it goes

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
joe_m_2000 said:
ive given u all the LCMD u need for it melsc so quit complaining
i had 2 do mine and FIND all that stuff i gave u!
so ur lucky!
that reminds me i would be getting that ass back this week
ill let u knoe how it goes
Joe, wat u gave me I havent even used yet, dont worry I've found my own anyway :p. I am not complaining I am just saying I write too much and its gonna b way over the world limit

Tjis is what I have done so far

Our society is evolving at a rapid rate prompting changes in morals, ethics and values, consequently the law should be modified to reflect these changes in society’s views. However more often than not law reform can not keep up with the frequent changes in society’s attitudes and technological advancements. Therefore many areas of the law are not a reflection of society’s current values, one such area is Family Law. In recent years society has become more accepting of less conventional family arrangements and alternative means of conception however only some of these societal changes are present in current legislation. Despite the existence of remedies and mechanisms (both legal and non legal) many problems still arise when these remedies are sought, whether it be an inability to access such remedies or a lack thereof.

Adoption laws are currently not an adequate reflection of society’s values, especially in the area of alternative family arrangements. Adoption is governed by the Adoption Act 2000 (NSW) & The Adoption of Children Act 1965 (NSW) which stipulate the conditions and requirements that need to be met for adoption. Pursuant to the Adoption of Children Act 1965 (NSW) Section 19 “an adoption order shall not be made otherwise than in favour of a husband and wife jointly” this section excludes de facto couples, However De facto couples can seek adoption through subsection 1(A) “The Court may make an adoption order in favour of a man and a woman who are living together as husband and wife on a bona fide domestic basis although not married to each other if the man and woman have so lived together for a period of not less than 3 years before the date on which the application for the adoption order is made”.

Similarily couples who are married with accordance to Aboriginal customs are not considered to be legally married however can exercise their right to adoption as provided by Subsection 1(a) “if the man and woman are Aborigines (within the meaning of the Aboriginal Land Rights Act 1983 ) and are recognised as being married according to the traditions of an Aboriginal community or Aboriginal group to which they belong, and the child in respect of whom the application for the adoption order is made is an Aboriginal (within the meaning of that Act)” however this restricts aboriginal couples to only applying to adopt children of Aboriginal descent which means they may have difficults in adopting a child who is not of Aboriginal parentage. ????

Single people can apply for an adoption order however it may not be as successful compared to an application by a married couple, the court will only grant an adoption order i“if the Court is satisfied that in the particular circumstances of the case it is desirable so to do, the Court may make an adoption order in favour of one person”. The Adoption Act 2000 (NSW) has now made it easier for single applicants to seek adoption orders removing the requirement that they could only seek adoption if it was in the ‘best interests of the child’.

However, this legislation does not reflect society’s views in terms of same-sex couples. A same-sex couple cannot apply for an adoption order if they are in a relationship pursuant to Adoption Act 2000 (NSW) & The Adoption of Children Act 1965 (NSW). Despite this same sex applicants can apply for an adoption order if they are single and not in a same sex relationship at the time of the application.

The NSW Law Reform Commission review of the Adoption Act 1965 (NSW) in 1997 prompted significant changes to Adoption legislation which have been incorporated into the Adoption Act 2000 (NSW) promoting open adoption (where the birth parents choose the adoptive parents and maintain contact with the child), makes overseas adoption more accessable. It was also suggested that same-sex couples were given adoption rights, however this was not included in the legislative reform, therefore further law reform is needed in this area to allow same – sex couples to adopt children. Similarly the submission to the ALRC by the Gay and Lesbian Rights Lobby and the Lesbian and Gay Legal Rights Service, entitled the Law And Practice Relating To The Adoption Of Children In NSW conveyed the need for law reform.“Changes to the Adoption of Children Act should seek to bring the Act in line with changes in society including recognition of lesbians and gay men as full members of society and the accordance of equal rights in this regard”

Amendments to the Family Law Act 1975 (Section 111C) incorporate the principles of the Hague Convention on Intercountry Adoptions to govern overseas adoptions and make it easier for Australians to adopt children from countries which are signatory to the convention. These provisions make it easier for Australians to adopt children despite the falling number of children put up for adoption in Australia, however some applicants may face the same obstacles which prevent them for adopting a child in Australia. Subsection 4(b) states: “provide that the regulations do not affect the operation of laws of a State or Territory that relate to adoptions”. This would exclude same-sex couples and any other applicants prohibited from Adoption by Australian law.

The Adoption Information Act 1990 (NSW) has provided provisions for

Last edited:

goan_crazy

HSC
melsc said:
Joe, wat u gave me I havent even used yet, dont worry I've found my own anyway :p. I am not complaining I am just saying I write too much and its gonna b way over the world limit

Tjis is what I have done so far

Our society is evolving at a rapid rate prompting changes in morals, ethics and values, consequently the law should be modified to reflect these changes in society’s views. However more often than not law reform can not keep up with the frequent changes in society’s attitudes and technological advancements. Therefore many areas of the law are not a reflection of society’s current values, one such area is Family Law. In recent years society has become more accepting of less conventional family arrangements and alternative means of conception however only some of these societal changes are present in current legislation. Despite the existence of remedies and mechanisms (both legal and non legal) many problems still arise when these remedies are sought, whether it be an inability to access such remedies or a lack thereof.

Adoption laws are currently not an adequate reflection of society’s values, especially in the area of alternative family arrangements. Adoption is governed by the Adoption Act 2000 (NSW) & The Adoption of Children Act 1965 (NSW) which stipulate the conditions and requirements that need to be met for adoption. Pursuant to the Adoption of Children Act 1965 (NSW) Section 19 “an adoption order shall not be made otherwise than in favour of a husband and wife jointly” this section excludes de facto couples, However De facto couples can seek adoption through subsection 1(A) “The Court may make an adoption order in favour of a man and a woman who are living together as husband and wife on a bona fide domestic basis although not married to each other if the man and woman have so lived together for a period of not less than 3 years before the date on which the application for the adoption order is made”.

Similarily couples who are married with accordance to Aboriginal customs are not considered to be legally married however can exercise their right to adoption as provided by Subsection 1(a) “if the man and woman are Aborigines (within the meaning of the Aboriginal Land Rights Act 1983 ) and are recognised as being married according to the traditions of an Aboriginal community or Aboriginal group to which they belong, and the child in respect of whom the application for the adoption order is made is an Aboriginal (within the meaning of that Act)” however this restricts aboriginal couples to only applying to adopt children of Aboriginal descent which means they may have difficults in adopting a child who is not of Aboriginal parentage. ????

Single people can apply for an adoption order however it may not be as successful compared to an application by a married couple, the court will only grant an adoption order i“if the Court is satisfied that in the particular circumstances of the case it is desirable so to do, the Court may make an adoption order in favour of one person”. The Adoption Act 2000 (NSW) has now made it easier for single applicants to seek adoption orders removing the requirement that they could only seek adoption if it was in the ‘best interests of the child’.

However, this legislation does not reflect society’s views in terms of same-sex couples. A same-sex couple cannot apply for an adoption order if they are in a relationship pursuant to Adoption Act 2000 (NSW) & The Adoption of Children Act 1965 (NSW). Despite this same sex applicants can apply for an adoption order if they are single and not in a same sex relationship at the time of the application.

The NSW Law Reform Commission review of the Adoption Act 1965 (NSW) in 1997 prompted significant changes to Adoption legislation which have been incorporated into the Adoption Act 2000 (NSW) promoting open adoption (where the birth parents choose the adoptive parents and maintain contact with the child), makes overseas adoption more accessable. It was also suggested that same-sex couples were given adoption rights, however this was not included in the legislative reform, therefore further law reform is needed in this area to allow same – sex couples to adopt children. Similarly the submission to the ALRC by the Gay and Lesbian Rights Lobby and the Lesbian and Gay Legal Rights Service, entitled the Law And Practice Relating To The Adoption Of Children In NSW conveyed the need for law reform.“Changes to the Adoption of Children Act should seek to bring the Act in line with changes in society including recognition of lesbians and gay men as full members of society and the accordance of equal rights in this regard”

Amendments to the Family Law Act 1975 (Section 111C) incorporate the principles of the Hague Convention on Intercountry Adoptions to govern overseas adoptions and make it easier for Australians to adopt children from countries which are signatory to the convention. These provisions make it easier for Australians to adopt children despite the falling number of children put up for adoption in Australia, however some applicants may face the same obstacles which prevent them for adopting a child in Australia. Subsection 4(b) states: “provide that the regulations do not affect the operation of laws of a State or Territory that relate to adoptions”. This would exclude same-sex couples and any other applicants prohibited from Adoption by Australian law.

The Adoption Information Act 1990 (NSW) has provided provisions for
sounding very good so far melsc
love the legislation
throw in the cases i gave u
re evelyn for surrogacy etc

goan_crazy

HSC
melsc said:
mel loves legislation :) I have chnaged it a bit coz mel took interpretation of some leg into her own hands and apparently my reaing was wrong :p
fair enough
well the LCMD i gave u was right
u need a piece of joe in this essay for it to be quality :)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
joe_m_2000 said:
fair enough
well the LCMD i gave u was right
u need a piece of joe in this essay for it to be quality :)
Oh you think so do you I am capable of doing it myself (well i think I am)

This is the "amended version" I still have to do IVF and surrogacy by Monday

Adoption laws are currently not an adequate reflection of society’s values, especially in the area of alternative family arrangements. Adoption is governed by the Adoption Act 2000 (NSW) & The Adoption of Children Act 1965 (NSW) which stipulate the conditions and requirements that need to be met for adoption. Pursuant to the Adoption of Children Act 1965 (NSW) Section 19 “an adoption order shall not be made otherwise than in favour of a husband and wife jointly” this section excludes de facto couples, However De facto couples can seek adoption through subsection 1(A) “The Court may make an adoption order in favour of a man and a woman who are living together as husband and wife on a bona fide domestic basis although not married to each other if have so lived together for a period of not less than 3 years”. However this poses a difficulty for De facto couples who want to apply for an adoption order yet have not lived together for three years – despite the fact that there is not restriction on the length of cohabitation for married couples, this minor difficulty highlights an instance where the law has not keept up with the changing views in society on the acceptance of De Facto marriages as equivallent to a legal marriage.

Single people can apply for an adoption order however it may not be as successful compared to an application by a married couple, the court will only grant an adoption order “if the Court is satisfied that in the particular circumstances of the case it is desirable so to do, the Court may make an adoption order in favour of one person”. The Adoption Act 2000 (NSW) has begun to made it easier for single applicants to seek adoption orders removing the requirement that they could only seek adoption if it was in the ‘best interests of the child’.

The NSW Law Reform Commission review of the Adoption Act 1965 (NSW) in 1997 prompted significant changes to Adoption legislation which have been incorporated into the Adoption Act 2000 (NSW) promoting open adoption (where the birth parents choose the adoptive parents and maintain contact with the child), makes overseas adoption more accessible. It was also suggested that same-sex couples were given adoption rights, however this was not included in the legislative reform. Therefore further law reform is needed in this area to allow same – sex couples to adopt children to reflect the changing views of society. Such changes in societies values is demonstrated by a submission to the ALRC by the Gay and Lesbian Rights Lobby entitled the Law And Practice Relating To The Adoption Of Children In NSW “Changes to the Adoption of Children Act should seek to bring the Act in line with changes in society including recognition of lesbians and gay men as full members of society and the accordance of equal rights in this regard”

goan_crazy

HSC
melsc said:
Oh you think so do you I am capable of doing it myself (well i think I am)

This is the "amended version" I still have to do IVF and surrogacy by Monday

Adoption laws are currently not an adequate reflection of society’s values, especially in the area of alternative family arrangements. Adoption is governed by the Adoption Act 2000 (NSW) & The Adoption of Children Act 1965 (NSW) which stipulate the conditions and requirements that need to be met for adoption. Pursuant to the Adoption of Children Act 1965 (NSW) Section 19 “an adoption order shall not be made otherwise than in favour of a husband and wife jointly” this section excludes de facto couples, However De facto couples can seek adoption through subsection 1(A) “The Court may make an adoption order in favour of a man and a woman who are living together as husband and wife on a bona fide domestic basis although not married to each other if have so lived together for a period of not less than 3 years”. However this poses a difficulty for De facto couples who want to apply for an adoption order yet have not lived together for three years – despite the fact that there is not restriction on the length of cohabitation for married couples, this minor difficulty highlights an instance where the law has not keept up with the changing views in society on the acceptance of De Facto marriages as equivallent to a legal marriage.

Single people can apply for an adoption order however it may not be as successful compared to an application by a married couple, the court will only grant an adoption order “if the Court is satisfied that in the particular circumstances of the case it is desirable so to do, the Court may make an adoption order in favour of one person”. The Adoption Act 2000 (NSW) has begun to made it easier for single applicants to seek adoption orders removing the requirement that they could only seek adoption if it was in the ‘best interests of the child’.

The NSW Law Reform Commission review of the Adoption Act 1965 (NSW) in 1997 prompted significant changes to Adoption legislation which have been incorporated into the Adoption Act 2000 (NSW) promoting open adoption (where the birth parents choose the adoptive parents and maintain contact with the child), makes overseas adoption more accessible. It was also suggested that same-sex couples were given adoption rights, however this was not included in the legislative reform. Therefore further law reform is needed in this area to allow same – sex couples to adopt children to reflect the changing views of society. Such changes in societies values is demonstrated by a submission to the ALRC by the Gay and Lesbian Rights Lobby entitled the Law And Practice Relating To The Adoption Of Children In NSW “Changes to the Adoption of Children Act should seek to bring the Act in line with changes in society including recognition of lesbians and gay men as full members of society and the accordance of equal rights in this regard”
u need my touch still melsc

please dont put gay and lesbians in it
ur meant 2 refer to them as same sex relationships
say homosexuals, gays etc and u will get marked down

thats what ive been told

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
JOE read it properly I always say same sex couples the only time i say "gays and lesbians" is bcoz its the name of a lobby group and the other time is the quote from the report :p

Therefore further law reform is needed in this area to allow same – sex couples to adopt children to reflect the changing views of society. Such changes in societies values is demonstrated by a submission to the ALRC by the Gay and Lesbian Rights Lobby entitled the Law And Practice Relating To The Adoption Of Children In NSW “Changes to the Adoption of Children Act should seek to bring the Act in line with changes in society including recognition of lesbians and gay men as full members of society and the accordance of equal rights in this regard”

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)