• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Terrorism (1 Viewer)

dam10

HSC
An American killing 32 people is not terrorism
Hezbollah kidnapping 2 Israeli soldiers (they are still alive) is terrorism
May Chediek getting injured from an explosion is terrorism
Opposition supporters killed by government supporters in Lebanon is not terrorism
Israeli Jets killing 100 children in Qana is not terrorism
Hezbollah killing Israeli soldiers inside Lebanon during the July War is terrorism

What is terrorism and what is not terrorism?

iamsickofyear12

HSC
dam10 said:
Opposition supporters killed by government supporters in Lebanon is not terrorism
Hezbollah killing Israeli soldiers inside Lebanon during the July War is terrorism

As defined by the US Department of Defense: "the unlawful use of -- or threatened use of -- force or violence against individuals or property to coerce or intimidate governments or societies, often to achieve political, religious, or ideological objectives."

From that definition it is obvious why the 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th are (or are not) terrorism. I know nothing about the other 2 so I can't comment.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Well my opinion is that what the use of the word "terrorism" is used as an excuse to somehow alienate and to attack a particular group, whilst justifying the other group's actions.

So what i mean is that what America/Israel/whatever does counts as terrorism, then again, what Hezbollah/Al Quaeda/whatever does also counts as terrorism.

There is no "right" group and no "wrong" group. Anyone who says otherwise is wrongly biased towards one side, and against the other.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
S1M0 said:
So what i mean is that what America/Israel/whatever does counts as terrorism, then again, what Hezbollah/Al Quaeda/whatever does also counts as terrorism.
If you are saying that America and Israel are terrorist you are a moron.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I'm not. :)

What i'm saying is that when America and Israel use terrorism as justification for their own wrong doings, they are often causing the same kind of damage that the terrorist (ie. hezbollah,etc) are doing.

Essentially i'm saying that there is no one right and no one wrong side. They're both wrong.

Legham

HSC
edit: nevermind, you cleared it up while i was writing this

dam10

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
Clearly shows your biased views. No need to continue, IGNORANCE

tempco

HSC
How can this incident be labelled as a terrorist attack when we don't even know the motive of the shooter?

Gay Captain

HSC
tempco said:
How can this incident be labelled as a terrorist attack when we don't even know the motive of the shooter?
Why would he worry about that when his agenda is to use any incident, no matter how tragic, and no matter how sick and depraved it makes him look, as an excuse to spew hate at the US and Israel?

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Gay Captain said:
Why would he worry about that when his agenda is to use any incident, no matter how tragic, and no matter how sick and depraved it makes him look, as an excuse to spew hate at the US and Israel?
and vice-versa.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
As defined by the US Department of Defense: "the unlawful use of -- or threatened use of -- force or violence against individuals or property to coerce or intimidate governments or societies, often to achieve political, religious, or ideological objectives."

From that definition it is obvious why the 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th are (or are not) terrorism. I know nothing about the other 2 so I can't comment.
So...invading Iraq?

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
So...invading Iraq?
Is thus an act of terrorism, according to the U.S' very own definition of terrorism.

nathan71088

HSC
dam10 said:

The problem with propoganda is that once something is said it becomes "truth". So forever 100's of children will be massacred by violent soldiers. People over the refernce age of a child never seem to get hurt in these massacres.
But I can't really debate this with you can I?

As to what is terrorism and what isn't...don't get too excited but I believe the answer is in the dictionary. That should clarify those scenarios you put forward.

blahmeh

HSC
Did you guys know that there was no such word such as 'terrorism' till Bush started using it. :)

Also, i think that all those crimes he mentioned before - too lazy to quote.

In my opinion they are all acts of terror, however they are not labelled as such, because muslims are doing it.

Targetting the whole group, ahhh....

Society sucs....poverty, climate change, inequality, discrimination sooooooo depressing

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
and if you say that America and Israel are NOT terrorists, then you are a retard

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
dam10 said:

dependant on where you're viewing the information.. as expected..
the media shifts it depending on the country you're in [and which POV you're receiving..]

people of Middle eastern descent living in western countries often feel as if they're negatively portrayed in the media...
which is true, yes..
but here in western countries the masses are able to access alternative media sources if they so wish and thus can decipher the truth behind mass medias bias portrayal of the events..

in alot of middle eastern/ developing countries.. [which are largely the countries from which the terrorists arise... and these countries are often under developed, and not financially all that strong..(its a known fact that terrorism is generally an act of desperation by people from poverty stricken coutnries with no other means..),...
because of the poverty of these countries, the citizens are susceptible to indocrination etc.. [resultant in large number of fundamentalists etc..].. and thus the terrorits...

anyway [sorry off the track.. its 1.30am arh!]
so these people are poor [argh took 18391283 lines to say that....] and thus dont have any alternative media sources /the countries are so censored that they allow any... that the poeple only receive the governments Point of view...
ie. that is all the westeners 'fault' etc...

so perhaps, while it is true that middle eastern people are portrayed negatively in western society... at least here this image is somewhat counteracted by other images that seep through through alternative media sources...we get a larger picture..

westeners should be the ones feeling hard done by.. we're portrayed completely negatively in middleeastern coutnries etc.. there are no alternative media sources to present a varying perspective of us and our culture.

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
blahmeh said:
Did you guys know that there was no such word such as 'terrorism' till Bush started using it. :)
yes there was, there was just never the idiotic and impossible "war on terror".
the mere suggestion that one can crush an action, which is what terror is, is pathetic. its like declaring "war on murder"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)