• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Textbooks for Preliminary Courses? (1 Viewer)

englishnerd96

HSC
Hey,

I'm currently a student at Elderslie High School and I have just completed my subject selection form for year 11 preliminary HSC courses. I really want a good ATAR to get into a good university and the course I desire. So, I just was wondering if there are any preliminary HSC textbooks that will boost my performance in the prelim HSC and help my marks out a bit? Textbooks in the following subjects will be greatly appreciated-
  • Advanced English
  • General Maths
  • Modern History
  • Legal Studies
  • Drama
  • Ancient history
  • English Extension 1
Thankyou x

starshine02

HSC
I think you should wait a bit or ask your teachers which textbooks you'll be getting in school already before you go off to purchase new ones as you may get doubleups. For maths, I'll recommend you just go to the library or something to borrow some general maths textbooks for year11 - cambridge is pretty good no matter what maths course you are doing. You could just read through the first few chapters and even attempt to do some of the questions if you can. Most of the beginning topics of general maths is pretty similar to topics covered in year 10. For english (both adv and ext.) I suggest you just do some extra reading. This also depends on your school's choice of topics to do (for adv. my AoS was Change and my ext. topic was Modernism and I'm pretty sure this varies from school to school).

gleeek

HSC
Well, I am doing fairly similar subjects to you, and I find my text books great so I would definitely recommend New Century for general maths, Cambridge for legal (it's extremely detailed and well written/structured), and for ancient history and modern history I would ask your teacher because you're not sure what modules you're going to be doing yet. Good luck, starting early and being prepared is always advantageous!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)