• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

The 2020 Summits (2 Viewers)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Iron said:
Could score some points with A-sians
I think Rudd's already doing enough of that.

We need to maintain strong ties with Europe and America as well (and being part of the British Commonwealth is certainly part of that).

Not only that, but it's part of our heritage.

banco55

HSC
I would really like Rudd to tell us after this summit how many original ideas have come out of it that are original and aren't batshit insane and/or totally impractical.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Slidey said:
I think Rudd's already doing enough of that.

We need to maintain strong ties with Europe and America as well (and being part of the British Commonwealth is certainly part of that).

Not only that, but it's part of our heritage.
I see what you did there.

In all seriousness, symbolism is important. I remember reflecting on parliament house lawn, staring at thousands of faces who had their backs turned to Dr Nelson's half-apology and urging me and my lady friend to do the same, in a threatening manner, that the Republic was now all that was needed to really feel relaxed and comfortable about being Australian.

But i'm in the 'wait till she's dead' camp anyway.

incentivation

Hmmmmm....
HSC
N/A
The summit produced no new ideas or contribution to debate whatsoever. Dissenting views were suppressed, and it merely acted as a mechanism to reinforce the government's agenda. The initial report handed to Rudd is little more than waffle and superfluous text with little substance whatsoever.

This summit was meant to produce ideas and strategies to take Australia to 2020 and beyond, and deal with the real issues that face the population. Yet all we have for it, are rehashed debates and a forum where people with vested interests could promote their agenda.

There are far more important issues in this country than the supposed pressing need for a referendum on the republic or a reformist approach to federalism.

In my humble opinion, the only differentiation between many republican models and our system of government is the election of a head of state. I see no necessity for a move to alter the status quo, nor do I perceive it to be a matter of national importance. Those who subscribe to this idea that we as a nation must remove our final lingerings of British influence before the 'evils of the past can heal' are placing far too much emphasis on the symbolism of such moves. We have an effective, albeit at time inefficient system of government, however we are losing sight of inherent inadquacies of any model of government. Federalism, Regionalism, or a system incorporating the complete removal of the second tier of government will all encounter issues of inefficiency, inadequacy and the like.

Where was the mentioning of the impact of the Mental Health, Drug Abuse and Lax Parenting upon society? These are among the issues that are shaping our society in 2008..

The micro issues were overlooked in favour of the more politically attractive, 'big picture ideas' and this has subsequently devalued any potential the summit may have had, and worked to confirm the pessimistic view of most towards the outcomes of the gathering.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Iron said:
You dont get it. They are elites. They are the supermen of Australian society. The Summit is an acknowledgement that our culture praises mediocrity, lavishing great honours and powers upon the vulgar and barbaric. The end result of this corruption and decadence will be a nihilism that ends the nation.
Prime Minister Rudd is conscripting these ubermench to construct elaborate, complex, grand, noble lies to keep the nation chugging along for 12 years. By far, his most important message at the opening yesterday was

We may sleep well once again
He won't be there within 12 years time, I'm sure Malcolm Turnbull will. :D

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Meeting of liberal intelligencia apparachiks. We've had 2 Communist invasions of Canberra within the month.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)