• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

The devistating effect of the carbon tax. (1 Viewer)

Mdzabakly

HSC
Just got a thing in the mail. The carbon tax with a big X on it saying

"council rates up , cantubery will have to collect $204,103 in extra council rates next year "

Then the rest of it saying something about bills and local community not being able 2 Pay their bills .

After reading I was abit scared our house is going 2 go into foreclosure
Oh wait it sounds big but that's only Ends up adding 4 dollars each quarter .
That's a woping 30 cents weekly , ( I think the total extra per week comp was 9.90)

Last edited:

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
That is wrong. The council (any council) would have to find millions more.

The tip of the iceberg only would be:
- Each council purchases millions of dollars worth of concrete pipes each year (with concrete being one of the worst C02 emitting industry), those will go up in price significantly
- Street light electricity costs will rocket up
- Landfill rates will increase significantly (yes, councils have to pay to dump their own rubbish also)

The majority of the compensation won't last either (the government can't afford it now after they lowered the minimum ETS price per tonne on Wednesday).

Mdzabakly

HSC
I'm just commenting on the propaganda made by the liberal party 2 scare the communities around us who have little knowledge of the tax and how it works . It says the source is from IPART. I doubt that the liberals wouldn't pounce on the chance 2 say that the council will have 2 collect millions .0

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
That is wrong. The council (any council) would have to find millions more.

The tip of the iceberg only would be:
- Each council purchases millions of dollars worth of concrete pipes each year (with concrete being one of the worst C02 emitting industry), those will go up in price significantly
- Street light electricity costs will rocket up
- Landfill rates will increase significantly (yes, councils have to pay to dump their own rubbish also)

The majority of the compensation won't last either (the government can't afford it now after they lowered the minimum ETS price per tonne on Wednesday).
Provide a source or gtfo

darlking

HSC
N/A
It's so depressing, i have to pay double trouble of my electricity bill :mad:

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I'm pretty sure the reason (NSW residents at least) have experienced an increase in their electricity bills is because the state government is no longer keeping the price artificially down. Either on purpose or by pure dumb luck, they've managed to do it at a time where everyone would blame the carbon tax (I'd think the former).

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
How did they artificially keep the price down in the past?

Provide a source or gtfo
I bet you're regretting banning zombie-omie-jay now, who else will answer our local council budget related questions.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Provide a source or gtfo
I don't have a source I can provide you with although it is common sense.

Councils use a lot of concrete pipes. Concrete produces a lot of C02 emissions. Hence concrete pipes will rise in price.

Street lighting uses electricity. It is well documented that electricity prices will rise as a result of the carbon tax. Hence the council has to pay more to light the lights.

Many landfills have already raised their prices (some have increased them by in excess of 100% [and blaming ht carbon tax] the SMH was reporting last week).

I bet you're regretting banning zombie-omie-jay now, who else will answer our local council budget related questions.
Councils publish their budgets annually that anyone can view.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
How did they artificially keep the price down in the past?
I was under the impression that a lot (if not, all) of the electricity generation was owned by the government and that they're looking to privatise it. I was also under the impression that the state government raised the prices in order to be more profitable/desirable for a private company to buy (to operate more closely to a profit than before).

Appleorange

Banned
HSC
They technically didn't lower it. They removed the floor price. However, the price is predicted to fall below expectations. So, yes. However, the government won't back down from their promise (political suicide), the end result will be the budget falling to a deficit.

- Street light electricity costs will rocket up.
Most are solar powered now. Councils will (hopefully) convert to cleaner methods.

Source? I doubt this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)