• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

The Difficulty of Internal Exams (1 Viewer)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
Theoretically what would be the best difficulty model of exams in order to produce the best results for a school?
A lot of schools have really easy exams (JRAHS, about 90% of the top 20 schools) while some produce harder papers (Moriah, Grammar).

There are 2 theories from what I have observed as an approach from a school's perspective on difficulty of exams.

1. Making the exams easier than the HSC

2. Making the exams harder than the HSC

It is important to note that HSC is a crucial benchmark for difficulty, in the end that is what all the internal examinations prepare for, in order to prepare students for the other huge 50% which will contribute to a student's marks.

So what would be the motives for schools to give easier exams, what motives for harder exams?
Would this strategy depend on the calibre of the students (I think so) but, why for example in the much higher performing schools (i.e. JRAHS, SGS) the papers aren't that great at all?

Discuss

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
In my opinion, harder exams is always a better idea - it prepares the student, and the actual exam might be a pleasant surprise if they've put in the work to do well at school.

For phys/chem, I think the marking criteria should be more exhaustive and particular than that actual exam, for the above reasons too. I can't think of too many advantages for setting tests easier than the actual HSC, except for confidence purposes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)