• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

The Golden Arches... (1 Viewer)

purplemonkey

HSC
The Maccas near me is hiring atm, and I was wandering if anyone who works there (or has in the past) can tell me what the conditions are like, how good is the pay (I'm 17, 18 in a month), are they cool with hiring uni students, are there any stupid tests you have to do at an interview (eg. guessing what is really inside a "chicken" nugget) or whatever? I'm only considering applying coz I need the moolah to save and move out of home....Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Later!

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
ive worked there before- the interview is really easy and no you wont need to do a test. however in regards to your second question, they normally don't hire 17/18 year olds, they normally want 14/15 year olds so im suprised you even got an interview. They tend to cut your shifts back significantly as you get older- most 17 year olds find that they get reduced to something like 1 3 hour shift a week. In your interview make sure you talk about the hours they want to give you,

buzzcut89

HSC
Yeh I work there now. Been working there for about 2 months.

Umm...your hourly rate sounds crap (mine is $6.57) but you get loading on top of that, $3 uniform allowance for every shift and other odds and ends so for me it ends up at about $8 - $10. You also atm get Sunday rates and PH rates.

The conditions are pretty craptacular. Like, I only got trained once and then never got trained again. Finally after 2 months of making filet of fish and chicken burgers, another crew member showed me how to do all the other stuff. The managers are bitc*es sometimes because it gets reall busy, but they are ok sometimes.

Today was a public holiday, so all the managers were on (salary as ooposed to hourly rate) and yeh the shift sucked pretty much because everything wasn't fast enough according to them. Today one of the managers was making a sandwich, when he dropped a slice of bread on the floor. i was sweeping right around the bread, thinking that he would just pick the bread up any minute and put it in the bin, but no he picked it up and continued using it. It was lovely. They sent everyone home early today because they didn't want to pay anymore than they had to on PH rates.

I could go on and on, but yeh good luck with that. My interview was good and easy. Just make sure you turn up looking presentable and you should get it. Interviews are usually with the owner of the restaurant.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
a lot of stores have shared uniforms though, so you dont get that extra, but its heaps easier than constantly trying to find your workshirt..

dodgyfilokid

HSC
no offence to anyone but dont work at maccas if u can...you get shit pay...even if they provide you with a uniform allowance...it still aint enough considerin that they cut ur shifts once ur 17...i work at kmart and i get loads of shifts dat i can do and reject if i cant easily...i might get a slightly lower rate (9.96 an hour normal) and no uniform allowance but holidays and weekends i get a shift long enough to compensate for a lack of the allowance..plus i can claim more deductions by july when i file my return even tho im still in yr12

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
dodgyfilokid said:
no offence to anyone but dont work at maccas if u can...you get shit pay...even if they provide you with a uniform allowance...it still aint enough considerin that they cut ur shifts once ur 17...i work at kmart and i get loads of shifts dat i can do and reject if i cant easily...i might get a slightly lower rate (9.96 an hour normal) and no uniform allowance but holidays and weekends i get a shift long enough to compensate for a lack of the allowance..plus i can claim more deductions by july when i file my return even tho im still in yr12
theres nothing wrong with working at maccas, they provide good training and you get a really good reference out of it. With my current job, I showed my employer my resume and it was pretty much "you've worked at maccas? awesome. when can you start". I doubt any 15 year old could get good pay at their age. Yes they do cut your shifts when you turn 17/18 (depending on how productive a worker you are) but by this point why would you still want to work there?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)