• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

The Lovely Bones? (1 Viewer)

XPac2

HSC
just because they're my publishers, doesn't mean they have any assosciation with my books. Their logo is on the spine, but they dont get anything like the right to reproduce the ide without permission from me.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
just because they're my publishers, doesn't mean they have any assosciation with my books. Their logo is on the spine, but they dont get anything like the right to reproduce the ide without permission from me.
Uh. I'm not really sure what you're on about. If you are published by Puffin, then they should be promoting your book on their site. It should be part of the marketing section of your contract. If it's not then that's a pretty bizarre relationship you have with them.

HSC
Yeah, i really liked that book as well. It was sad throughout the book to see the detrioration of the family.

Wheelbarrows

Banned
HSC
Uh. I'm not really sure what you're on about. If you are published by Puffin, then they should be promoting your book on their site. It should be part of the marketing section of your contract. If it's not then that's a pretty bizarre relationship you have with them.
there ain't no relationship.

XPac2

HSC
it is a bizarre relationship i know but when i negotiated my contract i said i wanted to promote and advertise myself with no help from them. Wheelbarrows, you can believe whatever you want it doesn't bother me if u think im a liar.

Wheelbarrows

Banned
HSC
hahaha, you didn't want any help from a major publishing company who was willing to promote your book?

sounds logical.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
it is a bizarre relationship i know but when i negotiated my contract i said i wanted to promote and advertise myself with no help from them. Wheelbarrows, you can believe whatever you want it doesn't bother me if u think im a liar.
Look, I'm sorry but that doesn't make any sense at all.

Publishers won't take on books that they can't advertise/promote themselves because they need to make a return from it too. I've never heard of a case like this before where from the outset the author is in charge of sales & marketing purely they don't have the contacts or the network to do such a thing.

I hate to be questioning you like this but I do work in publishing and what you're describing is so incredibly unlike anything I've dealt with that it's very difficult to fathom.

XPac2

HSC
I have my own advertising team and promoters dude so we do it. We do give SOME profits to Puffin but only what we owe them. Essentially, we only use Puffin.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
I have my own advertising team and promoters dude so we do it. We do give SOME profits to Puffin but only what we owe them. Essentially, we only use Puffin.
So why didn't you just self-publish? Most publishers, especially larger firms like Puffin, won't let you use them as a glorified printer. Also, why are you looking for someone to critique your new manuscript? Wouldn't you be using their inhouse editors or a freelancer?

XPac2

HSC
I'd rather use an everyday reader for critique rather than professional editors. They know what they want to read rather than just telling me what i want to hear.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
I'd rather use an everyday reader for critique rather than professional editors. They know what they want to read rather than just telling me what i want to hear.
Haha are you kidding me? The editors I work with are the most ruthless people around. I've never encountered one that tells the author what they want to hear.

Either way, do you have any links anything regarding these books? I'd be interested to see how you are promoting them and the types of books they are.

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
I wandered here cos the OP was bitching in NCAP about shit people were writing here. And that thread got locked.

But WTF? I study marketing, and if you are a young writer who somehow lands a publishing deal, you must have fucking rocks in your head not to utilise their marketing network.

Young Dickens deserves everything he is getting.

PandaGrrl

HSC
I read this book a little while ago, it is a great read! And the movie is coming out later this year too, I wonder what it will be like...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)