• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

The Official 2006 FIFA World Cup thread. (1 Viewer)

*Minka*

HSC
otay said:
Pourquoi??? I'm going for Australia and whoever wins this match. I am goin for Spain but I wouldnt mind France winning also.
I'd love tos ee them get some well earned redemption for the shitty way theyw ere taken out in 2002. I honestly think they could have made the final.

GaDaMIt

Premium Member
HSC
GaDaMIt said:
Anyone know where I can buy the official world cup ball? I'm in sydney west area.. all/most rebel locations sold out :(

please PM me or something if you know anything..
bump...

anyone know the address/number/website of the soccer warehouse perhaps?

otay

HSC
*Minka* said:
I'd love tos ee them get some well earned redemption for the shitty way theyw ere taken out in 2002. I honestly think they could have made the final.
Fair enuff. I'm pissed off that Raul doesn't start for em. Although he is such an inspiration maybe coming off the bench (as against Tunisia) is better for the team. Don't remind me of that match 4 years ago. That Morientes disallowed goal coz Joaquin supposedly crossed the line....I'm still cursing over it. Hopefully Guus can have same luck this time, so far we haven't but.

*Minka*

HSC
ujuphleg said:
I love my sister. I just said (after seeing the front page of the Herald which states 'We could win the World Cup- Kewell'

me: "Nah theres no way we could win the world cup!! I mean, I would love it, but no way.

sister: "Oh yes we could"

me: "Why's that?"

sister: " The earth is tilting on a different axis."

Me: "Wha?"

sister: "Well the Brits won the cricket and the rugby. Why can't we win the soccer? :D"
Hahaha! I love your sister.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Fantasy XI for the rd of 16:

---------------Abbondanzieri---------
-Ayala---Heinze---------Terry---A Cole--
-Figo--Schweinstager-Riquelme--Gerrard
---Torres(c)-----------Klose
Bench: Kennedy.

England and Argentine better keep clean sheets.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
GERMANY v Sweden
ARGENTINA v Mexico
ENGLAND v Ecuador
PORTUGAL v Netherlands
AUSTRALIA v Italy
SWITZERLAND v Ukraine
BRAZIL v Ghana
SPAIN v France

Quarter Finals:

ARGENTINA v Germany
ENGLAND v Portugal
AUSTRALIA v Switzerland
BRAZIL v Spain

Semi Finals:

ARGENTINA v Australia
BRAZIL v England

Playoff for third:

AUSTRALIA v England

Final

ARGENTINA v Brazil

Argentina and Brazil would be a fantastic final if Brazil get back to form

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
bazookajoe said:
That isn't possible, it would have to be Germany vs Australia and England vs Brazil
I am sure you are wrong here ..

From my memory, one semi-final is played between two teams from Groups A to D, whilst the other semi-final is played between two teams from Groups E to H.

Remember how in 2002, Brazil and Turkey were in the same group, and yet they played each other in the semi-final?

If Australia somehow make the semi-final, they would be playing Brazil again.

Kabeio

k.
HSC
^I agree with the above....im sure i heard somewhere if we made the semi-final we'd be playing Brazil.

otay

HSC
That would make our route eerily familiar to Turkey of 4 years. Unlucky to lose to them in the group stage and again took the fight to Brazil in the semis before going down by one goal. And also they had a star striker who couldnt really convert (Hakan Suker) until the 3rd place playoff game (we have Viduka, hope he scores soon though). Of course that seems like years away, first up is Italy.

*Minka*

HSC
DRAGONZ said:

From my memory, one semi-final is played between two teams from Groups A to D, whilst the other semi-final is played between two teams from Groups E to H.

Remember how in 2002, Brazil and Turkey were in the same group, and yet they played each other in the semi-final?

I am going to go out on a limb here and say we have the slightly better section of the draw in that regard. We avoid Netherlands, Argentina, Germany, England, Sweden, Portugal, Mexico. Yes, we have Brasil, Spain, Italy, but if we get past Italy, we will avoid Spain meaning that only Brasil will be in the way if we beat Ukraine/Swizerland.

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
DRAGONZ said:

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/bracket.html

That's what the official site says, so I'm going by that.

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
No. We are on the same side of the draw as Germany (if my wall chart serves me correctly).

For the official ball, try the Soccer Wearhouse at Valentine Park (SoccerNSW HQ) in Parklea. They should have it there and if they don't, they will order it for you. I love the new ball - so good for long range strikes. I wish we played our competition games with that ball - we're stuck with the stock Mitre balls.

Favourites - would have to say Argentina and Brazil at this stage. My personal favourite is Spain and was even before this tournament. However, this France thing has thrown a spanner in my prediction but they definitely have the quality and depth to beat France and Brazil in the next round (should they beat Ghana :))

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
bazookajoe is right.

I played the following games today on Pro Evolution 5 (even though I should be studying) and I think they are good indicators of what will happen:

Australia(p) 1-1 Italy........equalised late with Bresciano and won on penalties.

Germany 2-1 Sweden

Argentina 3-1 Mexico

Spain 1-0 France.

I think I might be onto something :).

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Last world cup the two from the same group met in the semis (brazil and turkey), but this time the draw's different.

UnIqUe_PrInCeSs

invading your mind
I'm leaving now to go find myself. If I should ret
HSC
I think the Croatian team weren't as good as I thought they'de be. Like every two seconds they'd touch a player or touch the ball with their hands or arms. Australia definately deserved more penalties. Also, the USA team wasn't as good as I though they'de be. I guess it's cos they have this 'powerful' image or something. I dunno.

Anyway, Australia should train really hard in these couple of days before the match against Italy cos they seriously do not have good shooters. The ball is always with them and they've had so many chances in scoring a goal, but noooo, they don't know what to do with the ball. But yeah, I reckon they're excellent in stopping the other teams from scoring.

urgh, I have a feeling the Socceroos aren't going to win the next match. :(
I hope they do ><!

Last edited:

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
They do have "good shooters" but they get too panicky around the box - particularly Culina. While Kewell and Viduka are quite patient in the lead up play I still feel that the team lacks that killer ball which both Kewell and Culina are capable of doing. I think the key to the attack should be Marco Bresciano put his preparation has been a bit disjointed due to some niggling injuries and ear infection. However, when Bresciano is on his game he can score from anywhere and find any player he wants. Marco needs to (and presumably will be) utilised as the key midfield-attacking link in the game against Italy because he has played against and absolutely demolished the Italian defenders in the Serie A. I still get the feeling that the Aussies (like Marco's Parma team) still lack a pure striker who will turn effectively and score with a maximum of two touches. Sure, we have Kennedy, Aloisi, Viduka - but the typical "hold the ball up and wait for support" will not work against Italy as their defence is way too zonal.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Also keep in mind Italy aren't exactly geared to create attacking opportunities either, they're extremely defensive.

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
Not necessarily. The Italians are overly technical and many mistake this for defensive tactics. They have formidable attackers in Gilardino and Totti (don't know if he is playing) and an midfield that is far superior to ours in the sense that it is very versatile in attack and defence. You have Andrea Pirlo who is traditionally a defensive midfielder who has better attacking vision and technique than any Australian midfielder (including Kewell and Cahill). Them you have the likes of Camoranesi and Gattuso who are very, very solid defensive but can make these steaming runs where they are virtually unstoppable. The Aussies are yet to meet a physical playe rlike Gattuso and he will be a handful. Overall, the Italians are a much better team (except in terms of total physical strength and endurance) but the Socceroos have the heart, manager definitely the skill to topple them. IF everything works out well for them on Tuesday morning, the Socceroos will be victorious.

otay

HSC
While their defence is zonal, having guys like Dukes holding up the ball is great, we just need the guys making the runs (as Harry did last game and Bresciano games before that) and then finally converting. I agree Bresciano will be key. Cullina aint that bad at shooting. He had a very decent attempt the other night, better than his weak efforts against Brazil. I havent seen enuff of Jesus to know how he would go about scoring, but I know whenever he's out there we look a whole lot more likely to score. Is it true that Nesta may be injured? i know materazzi is a more than able replacement, but still Nesta is a rock.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
UnIqUe_PrInCeSs said:
I think the Croatian team weren't as good as I thought they'de be. Like every two seconds they'd touch a player or touch the ball with their hands or arms. Australia definately deserved more penalties. Also, the USA team wasn't as good as I though they'de be. I guess it's cos they have this 'powerful' image or something. I dunno.

Anyway, Australia should train really hard in these couple of days before the match against Italy cos they seriously do not have good shooters. The ball is always with them and they've had so many chances in scoring a goal, but noooo, they don't know what to do with the ball. But yeah, I reckon they're excellent in stopping the other teams from scoring.

urgh, I have a feeling the Socceroos aren't going to win the next match. :(
I hope they do ><!
argh can people who know nothing about soccer not comment? USA has an image as one of the worst teams in the world cup, not as a powerful team.

'should train really hard'. no. obviously guus will make sure we dont train at all and approach the game to lose.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)