• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

The world communicates problems (1 Viewer)

atar90plus

01000101=YES! YES! YES!
HSC
Could you guys please help me with these questions. Please show the full working out and answers

1) A transverse wave has an amplitude of 4cm, frequency of 200Hz and velocity of
24 ms-1. A second wave has the same amplitude and velocity but a frequency of 600Hz.
a) Calculate both wavelengths.
b) Draw both waves on graph paper using the same scale.
c) Draw the new wave if the two waves interfere with each other (assume they start in phase). Show at least one wavelength of the longest of the two waves.
d)Draw what the first wave would look like one half of its period later.

2) (a) Given that the speed of light in air as 3 x 108 m/s, what is its speed in glass of refractive index 1.5?
(b) For a certain yellow light the wavelength in air is 6.0 x 10-7 m. What is its wavelength in this glass?
(c) A beam of light strikes this glass so that it makes an angle of 36º with the glass surface. (note: not the normal). Find the angle that the refracted beam will make with this surface?

3) In a certain liquid, the speed of light is 2.5 x 108 m/s.
For this liquid, what is:
(a) the absolute refractive index (i.e. the refractive index relative to a vacuum)?
(b) the critical angle for light travelling within this liquid?

IamBread

HSC
Could you guys please help me with these questions. Please show the full working out and answers

1) A transverse wave has an amplitude of 4cm, frequency of 200Hz and velocity of
24 ms-1. A second wave has the same amplitude and velocity but a frequency of 600Hz.
a) Calculate both wavelengths.
b) Draw both waves on graph paper using the same scale.
c) Draw the new wave if the two waves interfere with each other (assume they start in phase). Show at least one wavelength of the longest of the two waves.
d)Draw what the first wave would look like one half of its period later.

2) (a) Given that the speed of light in air as 3 x 108 m/s, what is its speed in glass of refractive index 1.5?
(b) For a certain yellow light the wavelength in air is 6.0 x 10-7 m. What is its wavelength in this glass?
(c) A beam of light strikes this glass so that it makes an angle of 36º with the glass surface. (note: not the normal). Find the angle that the refracted beam will make with this surface?

3) In a certain liquid, the speed of light is 2.5 x 108 m/s.
For this liquid, what is:
(a) the absolute refractive index (i.e. the refractive index relative to a vacuum)?
(b) the critical angle for light travelling within this liquid?
1. a) Use
b)Draw the waves.
c)You add the waves together.
d)The wave would have shifted a bit, draw it like that.

2 and 3.
Use

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)