• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Thoughts on Independent 2014 MX2 Trials? (1 Viewer)

dunjaaa

HSC
Re: thoughts on independent 4u 2014?

HAHA, I will look forward to seeing you at carrotsticks 2014 bos trial :D

Reactions: QZP

iStudent

HSC

Does someone have the paper...?
(shh just pm me it please :))
I'd like to see just how difficult it is :eek:

HSC

Na, there are people who outright shit on my capabilities lol. In comparison to the CSSA though, it was definitely a harder exam.
Yeah i agree. CSSA was easier than the independent, managed an 85 despite stupid sillies.

Independent 2014 was tedious. They made you draw the diagram for the vector question and the ellipse question.

Last edited:

mreditor16

HSC

soz guys don't have digital copy. :/

Immortality

Rekt by Adv. English
HSC

I have to agree that the final page (Question 15 & 16) was of considerable difficulty. However the rest of the test paper was considerably more straight forward and easier to make up for the more difficult and demanding end.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A

I have seen the paper and it is much more difficult than any HSC paper would be. Most of the questions were very tedious and time consuming. IMO; probably wouldn't have gotten all of it out and maybe 65 - 75 raw?
Generally; independent and cssa papers are more harder than the HSC along with some school trials
I disagree.

Students often feel that CSSA/Independent are more difficult, but it depends on what you mean by difficult.

The HSC Examination is designed to be a 'one size fits all' exam, where students from the lowest level all the way to the most elite find difficulty. If the easiest of questions were 0 and the most difficult question were 10, the HSC Examination ranges from 0 to 10.

However, trial paper companies such as CSSA/Independent tend to focus on a range from say 4 to 8. This gives the perception of increased difficulty. If you look at the last question from the HSC Examination, they are almost always more technical in nature than trial papers.

Also, you have to consider that for Trials, students are not as prepared as the final HSC Examination due to often barely completing the required topics on time, so that again affects perception of difficult vs easy paper.

hmmm. for some reason, 2 top 5 schools I know of pretty much always set papers slightly easier than hsc. idg why.
This, I still do not understand and would love to have somebody shed some light as to why this is the case, other than a lack of sufficiently knowledgeable teachers.

They often set their papers to be significantly easier than the HSC, in my opinion.

emilios

HSC

I disagree.

Students often feel that CSSA/Independent are more difficult, but it depends on what you mean by difficult.

The HSC Examination is designed to be a 'one size fits all' exam, where students from the lowest level all the way to the most elite find difficulty. If the easiest of questions were 0 and the most difficult question were 10, the HSC Examination ranges from 0 to 10.

However, trial paper companies such as CSSA/Independent tend to focus on a range from say 4 to 8. This gives the perception of increased difficulty. If you look at the last question from the HSC Examination, they are almost always more technical in nature than trial papers.

Also, you have to consider that for Trials, students are not as prepared as the final HSC Examination due to often barely completing the required topics on time, so that again affects perception of difficult vs easy paper.

This, I still do not understand and would love to have somebody shed some light as to why this is the case, other than a lack of sufficiently knowledgeable teachers.

They often set their papers to be significantly easier than the HSC, in my opinion.
Wonderfully articulated. It was a little frustrating to constantly hear "don't worry, trials are harder than hsc!" all the time. Like, have they seen Q8 from the 01,02 and 03 papers or even from the 80s? My trials did more harm for me than good. Getting 95% in my school trial gave me a false sense of security that was quickly destroyed by getting only 70-75% in a number of past HSC papers.

Fade1233

HSC
N/A

Not bad it was.

HSC
Uni Grad

Yeah tbh overall I think trials are harder only because you don't have enough time to practice for it. This is especially true with 3U and 4U Maths papers. For trials (MX1 and MX2), you have a high chance that you tend to see very similar or same questions due to lack of teacher knowledge and laziness in trying to create new questions. If you study enough trial papers it should generally get you a very high mark for trials.

But HSC is not going to be the case, simply because they will generally try to vary the questions a lot more. Later questions are also harder in difficulty compared with later questions in the trial papers. So rote-learning only gets so far.

aDimitri

i'm the cook
HSC

Yeah tbh overall I think trials are harder only because you don't have enough time to practice for it. This is especially true with 3U and 4U Maths papers. For trials (MX1 and MX2), you have a high chance that you tend to see very similar or same questions due to lack of teacher knowledge and laziness in trying to create new questions. If you study enough trial papers it should generally get you a very high mark for trials.

But HSC is not going to be the case, simply because they will generally try to vary the questions a lot more. Later questions are also harder in difficulty compared with later questions in the trial papers. So rote-learning only gets so far.
i do not agree with this in terms of 3U. definitely for 4U though

Unravel

HSC

Were there any hard questions in the paper?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)