• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

time. (1 Viewer)

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
hey,

we had our half yearlies and im finding it really difficult to finish the exam in 2hours. we had short answers, and two long responses. i didn't even touch one long repsonse, and i didn't finsih one of my essays ( i left out a text) and i'm really worried. it took me over an hour just to finish short answers, and i don't know why. i walk into the exam knowing what im wirting about for my essays (about my texts etc, and think about how to start off feature articles, speeches, interviews before hand) but its like my hand slows down and yeah....is anyone else having the same problem??

how can i write faster or i don't know...finsih my exam!!

waterbottle

your buttcheeks is warm
HSC
like everything else, it just takes practice. before my half yearly i made myself write creative writing pieces within the time i knew i would have in the exam and then on the day i was fine (with time, anyway. the actual creative writing is another story). my brother did the hsc a few years ago and he would always time himself answering questions, not just in english but in maths and other subjects too.

lilkatie

maybe you need to prioritise a bit better
like start with the long answers and make yourself stop with 1/2 hr left and then do short ans.....as long ans are worth more marks
Also you're allowed to take a watch in....so use it!!
If you know your essays in your head, then practise them beforehand within a time constraint, the more you practise them, the better you will know the texts, the faster you will write
You should be able to write about 6-8 pages in 45mins, but it is quality rather than quantity
Or try leaving big gaps at the end of a discussion and then if you have time at the end you can add extra stuff in your long responses?
Just some thoughts =) don't stree

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
stick to the suggested time limit.

even if you havn't finished, move on.

its better to get 12, 12, rather than 18, 0.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
my english teacher says spend 40 minutes on each section of the english papers...and stick to it, I did but others who didnt were in the same situation as you...dont spend more than 40 mins on any section, if you dont finish it come back to it at the end...and practice the time limit at home. The only section you CAN spend less time is the short answer section :)

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Do the paper the proper way, comprehension, creative writing and essay
generally the short answers and creative writing should take u less time than the journeys essay
i ran out of time in my 1/2 yearly
i did my comprehension, stopped at 40mins then went on to journeys essay
i spent 55mins on that-i only had the remaining time for king lear :(
however some how i eneded up doing the best in king lear than the other sections
i was stumped!

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
i always had the same prob. the key is sticking to the time limit - remember, all three sections in ur HSC are worth the same amount. dont be fooled into thinking that an essay is more important than short answers (as many do under stress). consider: an extra 10 minutes spent on an essay might gain you 1 or 2 more marks for it but might cost you anywhere between 5 and 10 marks in another section. that isnt even. if you've run out of time, it's recommended to write in point form the rest of your argument and do a quick conclusion - you will get some marks for it.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
ppsshh i had to do the journeys short answer section, my aos essay and my module A essay in 1.5 hours. 30 mins for each section. it was almost virtually very hard to do well?!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)