• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Timetable Clash - help please (1 Viewer)

ippie

HSC
I just enrolled today.

I just came home and I checked my timetable again on the net. And I see that I have a clash with 2 lectures.

Oh my god. What do I do? They cannot be moved (as there is only one lecture of each).

Is is possible for me to drop one of the units? Coz one of them is an elective.

Is it possible for me to do this online? Do I have to tell anyone? Will this be quick and painless?

Please help, I'm about to go and bash myself up. Enrolment sucked so bad today; academic advisors were missing, I was told that I wasn't ALLOWED to do one of my required units, econ lady wouldnt sign my wavier form, spent so much time jumbling and rejumbling my timetable (and in the end I just gave up and played by ear on estudent... which now leads me to this problem. :(

Last edited:

ippie

HSC
CUL100 and MATH123 - clash on tuesday 10am

CUL100 is my elective.

Can i ditch it? Like, on my own? I seriously do not want to rock up to uni doing admin shit. I've seriously had enough.

Thanks for your fast reply/

Last edited:

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
ippie said:
CUL100 and MATH123 - clash on tuesday 10am

CUL100 is my elective.

Can i ditch it? Like, on my own? I seriously do not want to rock up to uni doing admin shit. I've seriously had enough.

Thanks for your fast reply/
Don't worry to much. You would have gone through the worst part already.

CUL100 seems to be a very common subject that clashes with something. If you don't mind listening to CUL100 online, then it isn't a problem that it clashes. All you need to do is contact the head of CUL100 and ask is it possible to ilecture it and explain that you have a clash. The most painless (and quickest way) is to simply email the head of CUL100.

all you need to do is go to the MQ website. Search for 'CUL100' and find who is in charge. Then click on 'contact' and type in that name. The email (and his office) is then viewable. Alternatively, if you can't be arsed, i did the work for you - email
Nicholas Mansfield (nmansfield@scmp.mq.edu.au or nick.mansfield@mq.edu.au). :)

Tu17

Latte addict XD
HSC
ippie said:
I was told that I wasn't ALLOWED to do one of my required units, econ lady wouldnt sign my wavier form, spent so much time jumbling and rejumbling my timetable (and in the end I just gave up and played by ear on estudent... which now leads me to this problem. :(
lol sounds like what i had to go through.. i cam in with a premade timetable only to be told that one of my eletives wasnt avialable for me.. so i had to choose another.. and that of course didnt fit into my timetable so i spent the next hour or so reworking it over and over agian lol...

But i did manage it in the end, though clashes appear to be common lately, i was told that if you contact the head of the subject and report the clash they might add other time slots if theres enough demand for it. Or u can just ilecture it like Cyan_phoeniX said. From what i hear.. i doubt we will even go to half the lectures anyways :p

HSC
I went to see academic advisory yesterday and it was "rumoured" quoted by the engineering advisor that they MIGHT (so dont get your hopes up) allow iLecture for COMP125 because apparently a dozen (?) students had clashes with MATH135 and COMP125 together in the same semester but I'm not sure so just hope that a lot of students are having your problem :)

ippie

HSC
Cyan_phoeniX said:
Don't worry to much. You would have gone through the worst part already.

CUL100 seems to be a very common subject that clashes with something. If you don't mind listening to CUL100 online, then it isn't a problem that it clashes. All you need to do is contact the head of CUL100 and ask is it possible to ilecture it and explain that you have a clash. The most painless (and quickest way) is to simply email the head of CUL100.

all you need to do is go to the MQ website. Search for 'CUL100' and find who is in charge. Then click on 'contact' and type in that name. The email (and his office) is then viewable. Alternatively, if you can't be arsed, i did the work for you - email
Nicholas Mansfield (nmansfield@scmp.mq.edu.au or nick.mansfield@mq.edu.au). :)

Thanks for that! But I still don't like the sound of not turning up and listening online instead, but is it a good idea? Will I miss out on visuals and stuff?

Are you sure i can't just drop the unit online and find something else to do instead?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Its a fairly shit subject anyway :p

blackmountain

HSC
N/A
ippie said:
Thanks for that! But I still don't like the sound of not turning up and listening online instead, but is it a good idea? Will I miss out on visuals and stuff?

Are you sure i can't just drop the unit online and find something else to do instead?
I did CUL100 last year - went to the first lecture of the week and listened to the second weekly lecture online. PDF files of the overheads shown in the lecture are uploaded onto WebCT, so missing out on visuals shouldn't be a problem. Personally, I love iLecture, and more specifically the pause & rewind buttons!

To be honest, the enrollment in CUL100 last year probably exceeded 500 students... and on a good day, there would be 100 in a lecture... so you probably won't be disadvantaged. Everyone who takes CUL100, that isn't me seems to hate it anyway, so you probably won't WANT to go to lectures by the second week! :p

ippie

HSC
Okay thanks heaps Blackmountain for the reassurance lol But what if there's like sheets and stuff that the lecturer hands out (does that even exist in uni? lol)? I'll have to go pay the lecturer a visit then, yeah? Golly, don't really like the sound of that, staff seem hard to reach...

Anyway, thank you Cyan_phoeniX, I will email that man. Is it okay to email him with my personal email? I cant seem to get my uni email to work :S (http://community.boredofstudies.org...sity/166121/mq-email-problem.html#post3293766)

haiironotenshi said:
I went to see academic advisory yesterday and it was "rumoured" quoted by the engineering advisor that they MIGHT (so dont get your hopes up) allow iLecture for COMP125 because apparently a dozen (?) students had clashes with MATH135 and COMP125 together in the same semester but I'm not sure so just hope that a lot of students are having your problem :)
ooooh how will I know if this actually happens? lol

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)