• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Tip for getting Band 6 in Maths SC (1 Viewer)

acevipa

HSC
Does anyone have any tips for getting band 6 in the Maths SC. I usually rank high in my class and get 95+ in my school exams. However, I did my trial SC and got 85 and did several past papers and got around in the 80s. Does anyone have any advice to boost my mark up to 90+. In find that a lot of my mistakes is in the section where you have to fill in all the correct answers.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Keep on checking. Check at least two times if you have time (you should have), and say, for algebraic questions, substitute the answer back in to see if it fits the equation etc.

Use the process of elimination to get rid of the two least-correct answers, and decide with the other two, which is MORE correct (this applies to all MC questions of all subjects :) )

militiaman

HSC
Same with me. I do 5.3 maths and get around top of the class in all tests, but I got 67% in the trial I did the other day. It's really hard for me to think back on how to do some things, and whenever I solve a question I always seem to do it the hard way.

Hopefully I can study the past papers enough to learn all the little tricks that you need to know for things such as the non-calculator.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Practice again and again. Might try some of those MC questions without your calculator as well, if possible

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
You'll nearly ALWYAS have time to do a question twice, so I suggest you do so.

Remember your formulae, and really just practice yuor algebraic skills.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Yes, but some questions require formula that aren't on the formulae sheet.

backrowcentre

HSC
Well, if there is anyone like me who knew what they were doing, but got stressed because time was running out, then just try to act cool in the test. That's what I'm hoping to do. Also, I am going to check that the pages of my non-calculator aren't stuck together so I lose marks, which rendered me a failure.:(

HSC
time is my ultimate downfall in the SC in my trails i didnt even finished it cos i spent about 10 minutes trying to remember the stem and leaf plot lol which was for 1 multiple choice answer lol now ive learnt my lesson. i ended up getting 70% in my trials the average in my grade was like a 40%

in the non calculator u gotta think really fast, in my grade hardly anyone finished it let alone passed

themarvelboy

HSC
My math teacher said to practice again and again the past papers because the questions are basically the same with different numbers.

HSC
lol you either know it or you don't. its all about your natural ability in SC.

just practice old papers they are all pretty much the same.

bettina44

HSC
to be honest the sc really isn't that hard,its just the timing.i'm fine with the second half of the test its just the non calculator bit that i seem to run out of time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)