• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Top 'speed' done and where? (1 Viewer)

Jiga

^

Well apart from the fact that I think your FOS with your little story, obviously you are unaware of something called a tyre blow out (Very possible if your tyres aernt rated for those speeds... and Im assuming you have no idea what tyres you have on your car let alone whats their max allowable speed).

160km/h -> Tyre Blow out -> Lose control -> Die

Thats one of many things that could cause you to crash on a seemingly safe road. With that kind of talk, you are giving p-platers a bad name.... not to mention looking like a complete retard with your lack of knowledge

Last edited by a moderator:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I have never had a tyre blow out despite driving on Malaysian quality roads at high speeds alot... but then our tyres were probably selected with that in mind.

Jiga

I have never had a tyre blow out despite driving on Malaysian quality roads at high speeds alot... but then our tyres were probably selected with that in mind.
Yes... on quality roads with the right tyres etc used, and even then there will be factors that could cause an accident! This guy here is displaying the stereotypcal arrogant p-plater attitude... thinking that he is invincible and that nothing will happen... sorry but things can happen even on the most perfect roads with the right gear, let alone a public street with its fair share of potholes or other external factors and worse yet driving a car he more than likely doesnt know jack about such as tyre speed ratings etc. And this isnt even considering how he supposedly did this upon getting his p's, so he really has the skills to handle an out of control car should the need arise.

CieL

HSC
It might not even be a tyre blow out.. and possibly debris on the road..

There was once when I was on Epping Rd [80 zone] driving normally, and my friend sees my car and zooms up from behind.. I was going up the hill and he hit the top of the hill.. and his car picked up a 30cm by 15cm piece of wood on the ground, the tyre spun it back into my direction and it was literally flying into my windscreen right in front of me..

If I didnt dodge it, it possibly would of went straight through the glass and into my head... and dodging wasnt easy either... I ended up fish-tailing in two lanes... good thing that there was no other cars... but the thing is, if I had been speeding, say, going 160... that dodging motion would of probably of made my car go off the road...

And if you're going to argue that I wasnt alone... then I would of hit the piece of wood myself and caused myself a bit of damage...

It's not just the type of road.... it's also the condition of the road people tend to forget about...

EDIT:
Oh yeah, tyre blow-outs are dangerous... I remember when I was little, we were on a bridge.. it was one of those little 10m long ones which just go above trains... and it's impossible to go faster than 40 [properly] on that bridge due to the nature of the curve... my mum had a tyre bust right in the middle, and the car rammed into the guard rail, bounced back and parked on the side... if she went faster we could of ended up on the tracks, or on-coming traffic... nfi... but it was pretty darn scary... and in my whole life, that's the one and only time we've ever busted a tyre..

Last edited:
HSC
i never said i am invincible, there could be tyre blowout, my engine could pop, a small rock could chip into winshield into my face, the road could go dodgy, i could spin out of control (axle goes anal) etc.
but i sped, i wanted too, its dangerous, thats why i did it. the thrill of it; its not something i do often because its actually pretty stupid. now you two get the fuck off my back

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
loquasagacious said:
'92 Lancer: 240km/h - backroads in the hawkesbury
'91 Camry: 230km/h - as above
'88 Intengra: 220km/h - Monaro highway
'72 Volvo: 175km/h - Hume highway
Bullshit, a 92 lancer won't reach 240. You're a fucking liar.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Do you realise the amount of work required to lift top speed by even 20 km/h? Seriously, that thing would need a full upgrade of the injeciton system as well as the aspiration side of things. You'd need new engine management and cam timing. Of course if you went the turbo route it could be done, but the money put into strengthening the bottom end as well as completely redoing the piping would be better spent on a WRX.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
To increase top speed by 2 km/h you must have about 8 more nm at the wheels.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Netwon meters, a common unit used to express torque (tractive effort).

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
You'd have to have pretty darn ideal conditions for even a modified Lancer (not counting Evo) to reach 240..... even on the highway, an Evo IX couldn't keep up with our 745 at 235-240ish.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
mr_brightside said:
ah okay. so lots of torque = fast?
Howstuffworks.com might be of interest to you :)

Torque is the force/strength... it's like a treadmill. You may be able to run very very fast on it when it's flat, but if you set the incline up so that it's like running on a hill, your body hasn't changed.. but suddenly you aren't able to run as fast. That's because it requires more force/energy. So in other words, if you have more force/strength, it doesn't necessarily mean you run faster... it just means you can push harder.

Sorry for the piss poor analogy and attempt at physics... but that's the easiest way I can think of for explaining it. And no points for guessing where I spent the day :p

EDIT: http://science.howstuffworks.com/fpte.htm if you have time.

Last edited:

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I can't be bothered getting into a horsepower/torque discussion right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)