• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Transfering From Higher to Lower Mark Course (1 Viewer)

patdaman

HSC
N/A
I'm in a sort of situation where I'm not really sure what I want to do next year and there's a strong chance I may be changing courses if I don't like the one I'm in.

The problem is but that even though my UAI is very high, reasonably close to 100, I don't know how I will perform in the subject that I'm most likely to be doing at the moment (law/commerce). So my question is if I chose to change courses at the end of this year will the UAC look only at my UAI or a combination of UAI and tertiary grades, and if it is the second is there any way to make them only look at my UAI (effectively throw away all the uni grades up until that point)?

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
UAC has absolutely nothing to do with it; they only deal with admissions. Once you're in, it's all internal and very possible to transfer between courses. The transfer policyt will vary from university to university, but generally you will need to prove that you are a good student. Depending on the course you wish to transfer to - Law in particular - you may need to demonstrate that your Grade Point Average is high enough. Others may simply ask for a justifiable reason to transfer you from one course to another, and a lot of applications get rejected. You will need to consult with the university's Powers That Be if you wish to transfer over, and applications often have a closing date. Do no contact UAC; they will not be able to help you.

patdaman

HSC
N/A
I think I may have posted in the wrong section, I'm not necessarily just looking at transferring but also at starting a completely different course (eg changing from law/commerce to science or optometry or something). The problem is that the course I may not perform very well at all at the course I may be transferring from (law, which is heavily based in english) and that even though my UAI is enough to get me into the course this year my GPA may be lowered too much to get into the course next year. So is it possible to discard those uni grades if this is the case?

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
patdaman said:
I think I may have posted in the wrong section, I'm not necessarily just looking at transferring but also at starting a completely different course (eg changing from law/commerce to science or optometry or something). The problem is that the course I may not perform very well at all at the course I may be transferring from (law, which is heavily based in english) and that even though my UAI is enough to get me into the course this year my GPA may be lowered too much to get into the course next year. So is it possible to discard those uni grades if this is the case?
That's still within the realm of possibility, but UAC still has nothing to do with it. The only things UAC does is calculate and issue the UAI and then process the offers that are made. Once you have accepted an offer from a university and the final rounds of offers have been made, UAC have nothing to do with you anymore. It becomes an entirely internal issue.

It does not matter which course you wish to transfer to and from: it all goes through your university. You will not be able to transfer until a certain time; sometimes the end of first semester, but often at the end of the year. However, it is not possible to discard uni grades if they may affect your GPA purely because that is what is used to calculate the GPA in the first place. If it's an issue for you, there are only two solutions: don't apply to the course you don't think you'll do well in ... and if you have to do it, work harder.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
ObjectsInSpace said:
UAC has absolutely nothing to do with it; they only deal with admissions. Once you're in, it's all internal and very possible to transfer between courses.
Some uni's have actually stopped internal transfers as an internal arrangement and now make you go through UAC.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
ari89 said:
Some uni's have actually stopped internal transfers as an internal arrangement and now make you go through UAC.
Really? That new. All I can go by is my university, which still allows internal transfers. Either way, it's moot point: the thread-starter shouldn't be worring about this until the business end of 2008 when he's actually in a position to have a transfer, be it internally or through UAC. And if he actually chooses a course that is not based on law, he won't need to worry at all.

patdaman

HSC
N/A
^ That's what I'm trying to find in the other thread

But is the GPA still required to start a course from the very beginning?

Last edited:

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
patdaman said:
^ That's what I'm trying to find in the other thread
And what qualifications do we have to say what you'd be good at? We're us, not you. And if we were you, I'd honestly be a little bit concerned because that would simply be weird. Why are you still here anyway? I told you to think about where you wanted to go and then go over your UAC Guide in detail (if you don't have one, a post office should) to find courses you'd be interested in. You should be amrried to that damn thing as it tells you everything you need to know about every last course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)