• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

trials and ranking (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey i was wondering if it is the trials that affect your school ranking the most or is it 50/50 with the school assessments.

say if you bombed out on a few of your assessments for 1 topic but you went well for it in your trials...would that compensate for your shit assesment marks???

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
it depends on the weighting of the individual tasks and the exams

check with your school to find out the weightings

dilos

HSC
ok say your chem exam had a 20% weighting, and you got like 65%...and u ended up screwing up the rest of ur assessments...

if you went well in your trials and hsc, how much of an effect would your assessments have had on the total...would they scale you down? Is it still possible to get in band six?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah it depends in the weightinng and how well you do compared to the rest of the class. it's possible you could come out as first, it's also pssible it wont make much difference

dilos

HSC
yeh i'm so friggin worried, did a chem exam today, and i think i stuffed it...

i'm confused as to how much it's gonna affect me...

My friend said that
external marks (hsc)= 50
internal (trial + assesments)= 50 [with trial-30, assessments 20]...

then another friend said:
external marks (hsc)= 100
internal (trial + assesments)= 100 [with trial-30, assessments 70]...

which is it?....and which ever the choice, how much is it going to affect me? *confused*

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Ok,

Your trials are part of your school assesment marks.

Both are out of 100 but for the total mark it is the average (effectively making them 50 and 50). The internal marks are moderated to get rid of any easy/tough marking in schools.

Winston

HSC
You can't really telll, for all i care if u get 100% in your trials it wouldn't gurantee you come first, it depends on the rest of the cohort, if your school is smart banana's you'd be expecting alot of others doing very well, so that's why everytime you do an assessment try to find out who was the highest and see from there how everything is... it's usually easy to judge your rank, i always can tell how my rank was.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
It all depends on the percentage weighting of trials.

The trials are all internal assessments and contribute to the 100 mark you get for your school mark.

If your trials are given a 30% weighting, and you've bombed the rest of the year (say about 40-50%) and you kill the trials (say 80-90%), your mark only ends up at around 52%-62%

dilos

HSC
would you call 70-80% bombing it? lol

damn man, i'm so pissed off at the exams we had for chem yesterday, the questions weren't in hsc style...:mad:

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
Originally posted by dilos
would you call 70-80% bombing it? lol

damn man, i'm so pissed off at the exams we had for chem yesterday, the questions weren't in hsc style...:mad:
That all depends on how hard the test was. If the teacher set a hard test, then everyone will have done not so well, and the marks will be moderated after you do your HSC exams to remove any advantage for students who have a teacher who sets easy tests.

If it was an easy test and u bombed it, cant help u.......

dilos

HSC
yeh ppl bombed it....thanks for your counselling guys!! i needed reassurance, lol...:)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
yeh ppl bombed it....thanks for your counselling guys!! i needed reassurance, lol...:)
Just get some contagious disease before the next one and spread it so you are better for the next assesment and they are still sick

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
usually , trials r like 30-40% in most skools. they weigh more than other assessments.
so even if u stuff up other assessments, do really gud in ur trials. like for me , i wasn't first in physics n chem n maths 2u till before the trials. there were minute differences b/w me n the person cuming first ....but i did well in my trials n ended up cuming first in all three!!
so if u happen 2 stuff some assessments , try n work very hard n do well in ur trials:)
goodluck :)

dilos

HSC
thanks man, it turns out i did fuck that assessment up...
my rank has dropped from 4th to a zillionth *dies*

i'm screwed
:( :( :(

HSC
i'm really confused also with how ranking and school assessments marks affect your uai. It seems that your uai is really just based on your hsc marks.

olay

HSC
thanks man, it turns out i did fuck that assessment up...
my rank has dropped from 4th to a zillionth *dies*

i'm screwed
:( :( :(

:( i feel yah. don't know what i got for my assess' last wk but i get the feeling my posi's are gonna plummet like a falling coconut. :(

bubz :D

the last laugh
HSC
trials brought a lot of people down at my school..... even though most subjects were only worth about 20%? lol. it brought my perfect english average down :( my teacher was like, "you all should've gotten sick and you would've been given estimates!" -__-;;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)