• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

UAC and uni sites cut-offs (1 Viewer)

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
I'm assuming that the UAC site/book has it right with the cut-offs? Going to various uni sites I've noticed that some are still saying UAI and others just seem to be off.

My ATAR (w/ bonus points) is 87.95 and I was wanting to get into B Business/B Comp Sci which is 89 (by UAC). Is there still a decent chance?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
For most courses the cut-offs are last years.

This year they could be one of five things:

1) The same
2) Very close to the same but higher
3) Very close to the same but lower
4) Considerably higher
5) Considerably lower.

It all comes down to supply and demand.

If the course has 100 places and the top 100 students in the state all put it down as their first choice then the cut-off will rise of 99.x. If no one in the top 30,000 in the state put it down as their first preference then the cut-off will drop considerably.

I have known them to rise and to drop, for some courses, over 10 points in a year and yet some courses seem to stay within a .x of a point consistently.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
^
Listen to CEM :)

So basically, you still have a good chance. Cut offs are known to be inflated, so ignore them and just put down the uni courses in the order you'd prefer to get them.

LordPc

HSC
far out, if you want to do B Bus/Comp Sci then just put it down as your 1st preference

what Cem said is all true, but it shouldnt matter. you have no way of knowing what thousands of other students are going to put down, so you cant assume that the course cutoff will be too high. all you can do (and should do) is put down the courses that you want to do in the order that you prefer

-----------------

Son: Daddy, I want to be an astronaut when I grow up
Dad: Well Son, thats a mighty big ambition. But lets look at the facts. You're a little on the plump side and by no means are you impressing anyone with your intellectual capabilities. Ok, that may be down to the doctors dropping you on your head right after you were delivered, but you were all covered in goo.
Son: .....
Dad: Anyway, the facts remain. Why not aim a little lower Son?

---------

can you see the similarities? restricting your options because of your ATAR is basically the same

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
I wasn't considering whether I was going to put it down. I was just wondering what the chances were of getting it. I've got that as 1st pref and I've got my 2nd pref which is just BScIT at UTS and I'm 4 over that.

Thanks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)