• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

UAC guide 09 (1 Viewer)

cccclaire

HSC
how come some of the part time cut-offs are higher than full time?

HSC
Bobness said:
Impossible, they have artificially kept their uai cut-off constant at 99.6/99.55 for the past half decade.

And this will stay the same, even if it means taking in more international students :D Someone else in this thread already explained why removal of DFEE places does not mean CSP cutoff will drop.

Try your luck at 'Newcastle'. Or UTS (looking at your marks).
Artificially keeping the UAI's high is wank but let them, the prospect of paying an extra $7K and spending another year doing a PLT doesn't exactly thrill me.

I won't need luck to get into Newcastle, last year kids got in with 87 (bonus points for local students) :S

You're a law student bobness, don't suppose you'd have any clue whether its worth going to UTS over Newcastle? UTS gets rave reviews for both its Law and Journalism course plus I imagine the students would have a higher standard (having higher UAI's) at the same time I'd be living poor in Sydney rather then living at home with my own ensuite at the expense of my parents.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fat Fung

HSC
I was just wondering, I heard some rumours been saying there is a decline on students doing construction/architectureal related courses in uni in the past years. (i dunno if its true, if it is..then there goes my 2nd Q)

But i've seen from those uni booklets career advisers love to give out to students that the most ot the UAI has climbed up for (USyd, UNSW and UTS). After reading on the links provided by fOR3V3RPINKKKK, where ppl DO get into their courses below the UAI cut-offs due to unis wanted to add in prestigeness to attract overseas students.

I wanna ask, this rise in UAI for the Architectural course in 2009 (USyd-??, UTS, 88.XX and UNSW 90.30) compare to the previous year (2008) - (USyd - 93.XX??, UTS 87.XX and UNSW 90.10) is it just another trick the uni used to attract overseas students? or the rumours were not true, there are actually MORE students wanting to do Architectureal/Construction related courses in uni...

BTW, i wanna do bArch Studies in UNSW this year. waka XD

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Fat Fung said:
I was just wondering, I heard some rumours been saying there is a decline on students doing construction/architectureal related courses in uni in the past years. (i dunno if its true, if it is..then there goes my 2nd Q)

But i've seen from those uni booklets career advisers love to give out to students that the most ot the UAI has climbed up for (USyd, UNSW and UTS). After reading on the links provided by fOR3V3RPINKKKK, where ppl DO get into their courses below the UAI cut-offs due to unis wanted to add in prestigeness to attract overseas students.

I wanna ask, this rise in UAI for the Architectural course in 2009 (USyd-??, UTS, 88.XX and UNSW 90.30) compare to the previous year (2008) - (USyd - 93.XX??, UTS 87.XX and UNSW 90.10) is it just another trick the uni used to attract overseas students? or the rumours were not true, there are actually MORE students wanting to do Architectureal/Construction related courses in uni...

BTW, i wanna do bArch Studies in UNSW this year. waka XD
I'm dont know anything specific about architectural couses, but UAIs change every year.

An increase of 0.2 to 1 points does not really indicate that the uni has artificially put up the UAI to increase prestige, but more likely differences in demand for that course between subsequent years. Its just as likely that the UAI will decrease next year as it wil increase.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
cannibal.horse said:
Does that include law?

Just curious, with no DFEE places offered and therefore all the 'bums on seats' at uni are going to be HECS payers does that mean UAIs for courses will drop?
Yeah, but i doubt it will drop significanlty. Law at Usyd will prob be slighlty lower but still in the 99.+ this year, but Usyd is going to fill alot of the gaps with more international full-fee students. :karate:

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Wooz said:
Yeah, but i doubt it will drop significanlty. Law at Usyd will prob be slighlty lower but still in the 99.+ this year, but Usyd is going to fill alot of the gaps with more international full-fee students. :karate:
Thank you for repeating what i said.

Anyway cannibal.horse, IMO law at UTS is right up there with the 'best' of them (a subjective term) and yes their PLT program is quite recognised.

If you are thinking about journalism, again (from my subjective viewpoint), UTS is one of the premier journalism schools in Australia, where only CSU appears to have the edge in 'reputation'. Despite the sandstone uni and old age of USYD (as well as the uai cut-off), the journalism courses at UTS are generally more recognised in the industry. There are threads on this which you may want to search.

Also just to clarify, when i said 'try your luck' i was using it as an idiommatic representation of "why not have a look at Newcastle instead?". It's probably superfluous to say that you are miles ahead of the cut-off, and reflects somewhat upon HSCers fixations upon UAI rankings.

Just to reiterate an earlier point in the thread, cut-offs are determined by demand and supply rather than 'intellectual ability'.

HSC
Bobness said:

Anyway cannibal.horse, IMO law at UTS is right up there with the 'best' of them (a subjective term) and yes their PLT program is quite recognised.

If you are thinking about journalism, again (from my subjective viewpoint), UTS is one of the premier journalism schools in Australia, where only CSU appears to have the edge in 'reputation'. Despite the sandstone uni and old age of USYD (as well as the uai cut-off), the journalism courses at UTS are generally more recognised in the industry. There are threads on this which you may want to search.

Also just to clarify, when i said 'try your luck' i was using it as an idiommatic representation of "why not have a look at Newcastle instead?". It's probably superfluous to say that you are miles ahead of the cut-off, and reflects somewhat upon HSCers fixations upon UAI rankings.

Just to reiterate an earlier point in the thread, cut-offs are determined by demand and supply rather than 'intellectual ability'.
Hey Bobness, I just tried PMing you but your inbox is full.

I'm very sorry if I offended by that comment, I misread it and even still it was rude. Kids of my school have been getting bitchy about marks and I tend to react badly. Again my apologies.

Any advice/info I get is always appreciated.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
cannibal.horse said:
Hey Bobness, I just tried PMing you but your inbox is full.

I'm very sorry if I offended by that comment, I misread it and even still it was rude. Kids of my school have been getting bitchy about marks and I tend to react badly. Again my apologies.

Any advice/info I get is always appreciated.
Hahaha nah that's alright, thanks for your sincerity.

If i find out more about newcastle law courses (i'm going to borrow a copy of the UAC guide 09 from one of my students next week) then i'll let you know what my thoughts are. Being as balanced as possible of course :D

Oh and yeah, i'm a bit over my PM limit (read: 400) because i no longer have premium.

HSC
Bobness said:
If i find out more about newcastle law courses (i'm going to borrow a copy of the UAC guide 09 from one of my students next week) then i'll let you know what my thoughts are. Being as balanced as possible of course :D
That would be great! thanks again,

HSC
Bobness said:

yeah csu does have the edge for journalism ay... i was talking to the leader of the opposition who lives in my street and he was telling me about how when he was minister for education that was one of the diamonds in the rough that he found...

p.s. yes really.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)