• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

UAI cutoff questions (1 Viewer)

roborob

HSC
Hey guys, just wondering about UAI cutoffs...seen as the DFEE has gone out the window for this year, will the UAI cutoffs lower as to accept more students as no-one will be paying their way into courses? Also, could or will this be counteracted by the fact that this years' Year 12 has been one of the largest cohorts? Not really worried about this especially since it's only 5(?) days away till cutoffs are released, more just interested.

lionking1191

HSC
roborob said:
Hey guys, just wondering about UAI cutoffs...seen as the DFEE has gone out the window for this year, will the UAI cutoffs lower as to accept more students as no-one will be paying their way into courses? Also, could or will this be counteracted by the fact that this years' Year 12 has been one of the largest cohorts? Not really worried about this especially since it's only 5(?) days away till cutoffs are released, more just interested.
cut-offs are published 22nd

sirfeathers

HSC
i don't think they would be, since the supply/demand mechanism that is behind most UAI cutoffs applies to Commonwealth supported places only.

Rainie

HSC
I think class of '09 will have the biggest competition for places yet. It really depends on what courses people pick this year for their HSC. Hopefully they won't raise the cut offs! :p I reckon there won't be many fluctuations hopefully. These years it's became pretty stable, i'm hoping this year it will stay the same! *Fingers crossed :lol:*

Firray

HSC
Just a question about the UAI cutoffs, so I may as well put it here.

Cut off for unsw B Commerce/ B Engineering is 95.3 it puzzles me how someone with 92 can get in.

Is it because of the bonus points?
But then again all 90+ would have about 5 bonus points anyways - since they would've had mostly band5 and 6s - and it would be even peaking again.

Does anyone know why?

LordPc

HSC
yes bonus points

the UAI cutoff may be at 95.3 because a person with a UAI rank of 95.3 was accepted without the aid of bonus points. and this was the lowest UAI rank accepted that was not influenced by bonus points

wendus

krawr.
HSC
yeah but firray is asking how someone with 92 can get in, even with bonus points.. because someone with a uai of 95 would probably get 5 bonus points, so even if the 92 person also had 5, it wouldn't make any difference to their rankings when the uni chooses students..

spence

HSC
the cutoff includes bonus points, otherwise there'd be no point for bonus points

Firray

HSC
yes bonus points

the UAI cutoff may be at 95.3 because a person with a UAI rank of 95.3 was accepted without the aid of bonus points. and this was the lowest UAI rank accepted that was not influenced by bonus points
The "no aid of bonus points bit confuses me - does it mean a 95+ person either didn't do maths but wanted to do engineering, or did maths and sucked at it thus didn't have any bonus points.

okay just let me work this out...

I am definitely sure this person got in on 92.8 (fine it was closer to 93). Lets just call this person - person A.

Assuming person A got the maximum of 5 bonus points [97.8 is considered], then the lowest accepted person (with uai 95.3 ) can at the most get 2 bonus points.

These are the subjects considered for bonuses for engineering commerce combined.

Mathematics (Band-Bonus Points): 6-1, 5-1
Mathematics Ext 1: E4-2 , E3-2 [
Mathematics Ext 2: E4-1, E3-1
Physics: 6-2, 5-2, 4-1

To get 95.3, all the subjects that counted were probably all at least band 5s. And I am assuming he did do maths.

So now for 95.3 to be the lowest uai, he could've gotten:
- 2umaths band 6/5 (could've also done physics but only got Band 4 or lower), OR,
-did 3U or 4u maths, but only got above band 4 in one section.
And then he did fairly well in the humanities or in other sciences.

Wow now even i am convincing myself that this might be possible :eek:
I guess I thought most engineering people would've done 3Umaths and physics.

However unlikely I think this is, it is possible, I guess.

All the luck seems to be with some ppl

Anyone with anything else to add?

Last edited:

Firray

HSC
the cutoff includes bonus points, otherwise there'd be no point for bonus points
ah this would make much more sense.

But 3points below is alot

Last edited:

wendus

krawr.
HSC
someone told me they didn't include the bonus points..
so i was freaking out before the offers came out. ugh

LordPc

HSC
well for engineering Firray, lets say they did English extension 2, chemistry, modern history and economics, thats 10 units. they got very good marks and got 95.3

but they want to get into engineering/commerce, so none of thier HSC marks will give them any bonus points. so this is the person with the lowest UAI rank who got into the course without the aid of bonus points

and no, UAI cutoff doesnt include bonus points, cause people frequently get into courses with cut offs several points higher than thier actual UAI

spence

HSC
well for engineering Firray, lets say they did English extension 2, chemistry, modern history and economics, thats 10 units. they got very good marks and got 95.3

but they want to get into engineering/commerce, so none of thier HSC marks will give them any bonus points. so this is the person with the lowest UAI rank who got into the course without the aid of bonus points

and no, UAI cutoff doesnt include bonus points, cause people frequently get into courses with cut offs several points higher than thier actual UAI
Yes it does. The UAI cutoff is the lowest effective UAI offered into the course. By effective I mean the UAI plus any bonus points

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)