• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

UMAT (2 Viewers)

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
True emilios, but he will understand by year 12. Everyone does. But for your question yes it is hard (For me section 2 and problem solving). Dont go tutoring though. Just practice papers. Personally I think I have a 0.1% chance of making it in. Medman, Reason doesnt suffice, nor does hardwork. I had a reason, a reason I would say, But no It doesnt count to much, if you are not competitive.
Lol, I'm not a guy. I have already understood the difficulties.

Medman

HSC
I'm not screwed because I did 7th grade music, I have competed at state for athletics, I have done debating, I volunteer at a local hospital, I'm a peer support and src leader.
I want to get into med cos I am topping 3 of my subjects (top 10 ranked school), I have the right skills to be a doctor and I believe that this career is appropriate for me.
Given your great insight into everything I find your question a bit strange. Keep what you're doing and you'll be fine. Buy some prep material for UMAT practice and get better. So I'm assuming you're in year 11?

Just because you're topping 3 subjects in your school does not mean you should do medicine. This makes no logical sense. If you have the right set of skills to be a doctor, that would be a great start but I still don't get a sense you're truly passionate for it. Using words such as appropriate and introducing other factors which doesn't necessarily make you a good doctor does not reflect well on interest and passion. Just my analysis, you have to be careful what you say in an interview settings as these small words could make or break your chances.

Also attending a few tutorials and lectures at UNSW does not make you understand med any better than most other students. If you have shadowed your parents that would be different but even then given what you have said previously regarding the job opportunities in medicine, I still find you have a sense of ignorance to the whole situation in medicine not that it matters at the moment.

Last edited:

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
Given your great insight into everything I find your question a bit strange. Keep what you're doing and you'll be fine. Buy some prep material for UMAT practice and get better. So I'm assuming you're in year 11?

Just because you're topping 3 subjects in your school does not mean you should do medicine. This makes no logical sense. If you have the right set of skills to be a doctor, that would be a great start but I still don't get a sense you're truly passionate for it. Using words such as appropriate and introducing other factors which doesn't necessarily make you a good doctor does not reflect well on interest and passion. Just my analysis, you have to be careful what you say in an interview settings as these small words could make or break your chances.

Also attending a few tutorials and lectures at UNSW does not make you understand med any better than most other students. If you have shadowed your parents that would be different but even then given what you have said previously regarding the job opportunities in medicine, I still find you have a sense of ignorance to the whole situation in medicine not that it matters at the moment.
1) I'm in year 10
2) This thread is like ancient, the start of the year.
3) What words or expressions should I avoid or use during the interview? you can pm if you want.
4) other careers besides med are boring, irrelevant to me and i will not apply for other courses.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
1. What emilios is denoting is that if you continue with this rigorous routine of studying 10 hours a day, you're gonna burn out really easily for the next two years of high school. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but that's how I view it. (and most of the others on the year 11 chat thread). Seriously, just chill and look after your health - you'll be thankful in the long run, trust me.

2. You're in yr 10 - I don't think you can have a clear idea of what you want to do anyway. I know it's good to be thinking about uni courses etc, but there's no harm keeping your options open. You want to do med, so just aim for that, and if you don't get in, deal with it when it comes.

3. Being a high-achiever in academics, having EC, and acing the UMAT are not standalone factors when applying for medicine. You have to also consider your communication skills for interviewing. Because if you cannot go through that process, no one will care if you're the state ranking 99.95'er when you can't even express yourself properly.

4. Again, this links to my second point; no offence, but I highly doubt a 14-15 year old person could have the full capacity to perceive how the medical industry operates or how society works. And like emilios said before, check out Medman's posts - he actually has another perspective which is refreshing to see given the glamour that surrounds medicine.

Just my 2c.
Sorry but I don't want to keep my options open and I truly want to get into med.
How do you know I'm gonna burn out? I know people from RUSE who actually study more than me (12 hours a day) and want to get into med too. I know I won't burn out cos I actually set myself tasks each day and if i don't finish it then I get an awful feeling.
I have great communication skills, I am one of the top debaters from my school.

Last edited:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Sorry but I don't want to keep my options open and I truly want to get into med.
How do you know I'm gonna burn out? I know people from RUSE who actually study more than me (12 hours a day) and want to get into med too. I know I won't burn out cos I actually set myself tasks each day and if i don't finish it then I get an awful feeling.
Actually, I know what the med industry operates. I was told the whole thing by my parents.
Stop arguing and go study or something

bangladesh

HSC
Actually, I know what the med industry operates. I was told the whole thing by my parents.

This isn't meant to be offensive, i'm just simply curious but do you think you have a good social life?

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A
This isn't meant to be offensive, i'm just simply curious but do you think you have a good social life?
ur not the first to ask and I'm not offended.
anyways, I didn't have much of a social life since this year (actually none of my friends do). I only have fb. I actually don't have the time to have even an average or decent social and with exams and assessments coming up soon I feel the need to be prepared.

Medman

HSC
Social life is uni life. It's fine not to do much in high school. About things to avoid during interview you will find out in due time or you can ask me later.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Social life is uni life. It's fine not to do much in high school. About things to avoid during interview you will find out in due time or you can ask me later.
Awks cos I had more of a social life in high school than I do now. Lol.

bangladesh

HSC
Is it though? Is it really? Highschool years are years you'll never get back and they've certainly been great for me and i can't imagine myself not having a social life throughout highschool.. Many many of the high achievers i know also have a good social life and can still manage to get into med/law etc

Medman

HSC
All a matter of perspective let her do what she thinks is best.

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
Is it though? Is it really? Highschool years are years you'll never get back and they've certainly been great for me and i can't imagine myself not having a social life throughout highschool.. Many many of the high achievers i know also have a good social life and can still manage to get into med/law etc
maybe if you didn't you would have too

jk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)