• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

uni assessments - how does it work (1 Viewer)

Giant Lobster

HSC
Is uni like highschool how ppl can bludge for their early years and cram hard in the final year(s) to end up with a mad result?

Or does everything count, from 1st year onwards?
And a low mark vs a high mark won't really matter right? since ur still gonna get that whatever degree?

And how good does one need to be to be offered honours? As in, roughly the % of people being offered...? Thanks

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
It depends on your course and uni. The follow relates to what applies at UTS, to give you an idea. Other people from other unis may want to share.

With my course (and most other courses in the IT faculty), the subjects from your first year doesn't count. So its only the subjects in your 2nd and 3rd year. It's usually only the subjects that are relevant to your degree (in other words, not your electives and stuff outside of your faculty).

So with my course (or at least when I did just Info Tech) it was only the core IT subjects from 2nd and 3rd year that counted.

At the moment I'm doing combined IT and Business. With the IT part its the same as above (no first year subjects). As for Business, I'm not too sure, but I'm guessing its only the subjects that are relevant to your major (so for me, all my Accounting subjects). I will have to check about that.

With that said, not all courses follow that at UTS, and definately not all unis have that too. Usually the subjects in your first year are introductory and you can bludge sometimes in your first years and still get decent marks (or study really hard and get straight HDs). Final year subjects are usually challenging and usually do count towards your end mark.

Basically, at least at UTS, for most course, they will average the mark for the subjects that do count towards your degree, and either give you your degree in the Pass, Credit or Distinction grade. So on your degree, you have a grade, not a mark. On your academic transcipt you'll have all marks and grades. So to answer your question about low vs high marks, if your degree is a Pass only degree (as some UTS degrees are) then yes your marks won't matter, but if its a graded degree, then a Distinction degree is obviously more attractive than a Pass degree.

At UTS, usually they offer honours to students who have a Distinction average in their first or mostly second year.

I hope that helps.

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
And how good does one need to be to be offered honours? As in, roughly the % of people being offered...? Thanks
To be awarded honours will depend on both you marks (as Jasee indicated already) and also the units/subjects you undertake in the last year. This will vary from course to course. Some degrees will require you to complete a certain subject to be considered into honours year. Eg. For Law at UOW, you will need to complete a compulsory subject and attain good marks in it to be considered for honours.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
the GPA they count at the end sometimes counts your first yearr work, sometimes doesn't, as said before it depends on the uni and the course

but you can't just cram at the end. even if you bludge first year (and yes, everyhting goes on record, even first year) then you do have to work for the rest of the years

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Everything goes on your record, yes! You will get an academic transcript at the end of your degree with ALL the subjects you have done and your marks and grades. My point was that, the calculation of the grade for your degree will be based on SOME subjects, not ALL (and its usually that they exclude first year subjects). As other people have mentioned, it varies from course to course and uni to uni.

Giant Lobster

HSC
i see...

So what's the point(s) of doing an honours degree? Is doing honours v.much more demanding than just the standard degree? Or just a bit extra work?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
i see...

So what's the point(s) of doing an honours degree? Is doing honours v.much more demanding than just the standard degree? Or just a bit extra work?
honours year is research
you have to write a thesis (usually at least 10,000 words+) over the course of the year, and attend research seminars, and possibly running tutorials for 1st yrs
it depends on faculty's again however

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
jasee: what i find interesting is, how the feck will future employers know whether your degree is a pass/fail degree or a graded pass/fail degree........

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well if you have to show your degree then I presume its written on it. I mean I have a certificate II from TAFE and that has a grade written on it. Usually you write it on your resume too.

It'll say something like Bachelor of whatever in the whatever grade.

Usually most degrees are graded, and if your going for like a big company, then they are usually quite aware of what courses university's offer and so.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Someone here once said "passes get degrees". That's all well and good, but it has nothing on "HDs get careers". Speaking to a handful of graduates and final year students (currently going through the Graduate Recruitment hoops) it has become very clear that if you think you can just get passes and graduate you will have a VERY hard time finding a real job in your field. Since all graduate employers will ask for your Academic Transcript, it is wise to do as best you can the whole way through. :uhhuh:

santaslayer

HSC
Speaking to a handful of graduates and final year students (currently going through the Graduate Recruitment hoops) it has become very clear that if you think you can just get passes and graduate you will have a VERY hard time finding a real job in your field. [/B]

Been doing a bit of networking I gather?

Giant Lobster

HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Someone here once said "passes get degrees". That's all well and good, but it has nothing on "HDs get careers". Speaking to a handful of graduates and final year students (currently going through the Graduate Recruitment hoops) it has become very clear that if you think you can just get passes and graduate you will have a VERY hard time finding a real job in your field. Since all graduate employers will ask for your Academic Transcript, it is wise to do as best you can the whole way through. :uhhuh:
Yeah i thought that was the case.
lol out of interest, how do those with passes end up some years down the track?

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Of course, you can show *marked* improvement from first to second year... and employers won't be too harsh...

Aside, if you were an employer... who would you hire: Mr A with Passes and an occasional Credit, or that other guy Mr B with Credits and an occasional Distinction (of course, assuming they are of similar personality/interest etc)?

santaslayer

HSC
I guess if u get all passes and still get a job, ur salary/income will reflect that?

gdt

HSC
N/A
There are two aspects to your question. How hard do you need to work to get a particular grade, and do grades count at all?

Most people find that uni starts slow. The pace is sedate and the subjects easy, basically revision of Y12. They then get blindsided by either a genuinely tough subject, or by assignments with major amounts of work being left too long.

Picking the genuinely tough subjects from the guidebook can be hard. For example, most people find anatomy a nightmare simply because of the huge amount of rote learning. Once you're in the course, students further in the course will let you know :)

More commonly though, people simply get whacked by poor time management. So if you are finding uni easy, get into the luxurious position of being ahead of the assignment curve. You'll notice the time management of part-timers is much better than full timers, the PTs will spend less than 8 hours on campus, yet few FTs would knock their work over in 16 campus hours.

Do grades count? It really depends.

Firstly, your grades count if they represent a wall, just as your HSC mark allowed you to get over the wall into uni and from then on the HSC signifies less and less. The most common wall is that high grades are needed for entry into honours and the fast track to a PhD. So if you like uni like and wouldn't mind working in one, you need big grades. Some walls are also set by professional associations (eg, high marks sometimes allow you to skip various "registration" requirements).

Secondly, when you have no experience your academic transcript is all your potential employer has to compare with other candidates. So big grades get you into the interview. Obviously with smaller grades you have less choice. This might not matter, you might be in a field where there is a shortage of employees. But don't get too smug in first year. For example, the IT industry turned from undersupply to oversupply between the start and end of a degree.

Thirdly, your grades matter because they reinforce the view that you want to give your potential employers: if you say you are "hard working and self-motivated" but have multiple Withdraws, PassWithoutProceed on your transcript they are hardly going to believe you.

Finally, and most importantly for many, is simply the satisfaction of doing your best at something that you'll never have the opportunity to do again.

[BTW, there is no fixed % of the year that gets entry into honours. If people are good enough, and they apply, and there is space, then they get in. Whatever % this works out to in practice will vary massively by subject and may not mean much (eg, in some courses there are more honours places available than are taken up, so the % reflects student's interests rather than rationing)]

Last edited:

Giant Lobster

HSC
hmmm interesting

The "fast track to a PhD" is what Im interested in... With honours, its a minimal of 8 years right? Damn im suck a geek wanting a doctorate lol

KD

HSC
N/A
In most degrees the early years are full of intro subjects that teach the basics. In the following years you apply those basics. Lots of students who bludged in the first two years have a real problem later on as they don't understand the fundamentals. The work load keeps getting higher so don't expect to have lots of time to catch up on things you missed in the previous years.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
Originally posted by gdt

Thirdly, your grades matter because they reinforce the view that you want to give your potential employers: if you say you are "hard working and self-motivated" but have multiple Withdraws, PassWithoutProceed on your transcript they are hardly going to believe you.

Finally, and most importantly for many, is simply the satisfaction of doing your best at something that you'll never have the opportunity to do again.
In relation to the withdraws, I can't see that is a big concern, because so far I've had to withdraw from multiple subjects because of a lack of numbers doing the subject that semester. I've also withdrawn from subjects because I cannot physically be able to do attend due to work commitments or overlapping subjects in the timetable. I'm guessing it only becomes an issue when they see you've withdrawn from a lot of subjects and have actually taken longer to achieve your degree rather than just switching subjects at beginning of semester so you are able to actually do the subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)