• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Uni clubs? (1 Viewer)

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
Well i'll be starting uni next year and i wanna join heaps of clubs, meet loads of people and soak up uni life. So what clubs are you guys going to join?, or have joined already if you're in uni? Any cool recommendations?

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Which uni?
What are you into?

Each uni has a student association website with club listings and their individual websites.

There are different types of clubs:
- academic (business, law, marketing, engineering etc)
- social (anime appreciation, sci fi club, christian groups etc)
- sporting (soccer, fencing, mountaineering, swimming, rugby etc)

Don't go joining too many or you won't have time for anything else :)

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
mushroom_head said:
you have to pay a fee?... now that i didn't know about.
hehe you'll quickly learn that at uni, not much is free :) Most clubs are like $5-$100 a year so it depends, and then they give you free events throughout the year and some paid ones as well.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
He's right about the no time for anything else. I ran out of money on O-day and STILL joined more clubs after. It's great fun being in so many clubs, and you meet a lot of people, but once they start asking you to take up positions (executive) the work piles on and you need to let them down.

Yes you can join and not attend...you'll be part of the majority of club members then. But it turns out to be a waste of money. I find the more enthusiastic students "overjoin" on O-day, then retain only one or two clubs in subsequent years. That's why O-days are so important - they help dupe the first years into giving up their cash.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
LeftrightOut said:
hehe you'll quickly learn that at uni, not much is free :) Most clubs are like $5-$100 a year so it depends, and then they give you free events throughout the year and some paid ones as well.
Actually, with the social clubs they're usually between $1 and $10 depending on the uni (the minimum membership fee for UTS Union affiliate clubs is $2, for union members). Sports clubs tend to be much higher, from $20 to $100 depending on what equipment etc is included, and the academic clubs (ie faculty clubs) are usually classified as social clubs but some faculty clubs (like LSS at UTS - the Law Students Society) sneak their membership into other things like orientation camps.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
natstar said:
Im poor enough having to spend $400 on text books, $150 a semester on student fees, and my upfront HECS, AND living away from home.....uni is so expensive dammit
that's why I defered my HECS, like most other students I knew who were on a tight budget, paying upfront in such a situation is just waiting for something financially to give and then you're stuck without a paddle.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Lexicographer said:
Actually, with the social clubs they're usually between $1 and $10 depending on the uni (the minimum membership fee for UTS Union affiliate clubs is $2, for union members). Sports clubs tend to be much higher, from $20 to $100 depending on what equipment etc is included, and the academic clubs (ie faculty clubs) are usually classified as social clubs but some faculty clubs (like LSS at UTS - the Law Students Society) sneak their membership into other things like orientation camps.
Every uni I have been to it started at $5 and worked it's way up. I don't know why they would bother charging anything if they are going to have 1 and 2 buck entries :) Yeah the clubs have ways of working in some profit margins for paid events. Then you have the merchandising as well.

mushroom_head said:
Really? no time for anything else? But uni students look so freeeee
You must be thinking of Arts students :D not to offend the Arts students but really some of you have it pretty sweet workload wise.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
mushroom_head said:
Really? no time for anything else? But uni students look so freeeee
look is the key word there. don't get yourself into the situation of most people where you think uni is a bludge. there is still work. there are still exams every half year. exams count for a bit portion of your mark (like 50%) and for some subjects if you don't pass the final you fail the course. minai told me all this when i was arguing uni would be a piece of cake and i didn't want to believe him.

that said i would say overall it's less stressful than school because during exam time you have less subjects to focus on, you have less hours at uni so you can get a job and holidays are real holidays. also you can just get Ps and not put in any extra work if you really don't care, don't want to transfer or don't want to do postgrad.

clubs would be great, if i was part of any of them! i suggest you join and actually turn up if they do anything.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
LeftrightOut said:
that's why I defered my HECS, like most other students I knew who were on a tight budget, paying upfront in such a situation is just waiting for something financially to give and then you're stuck without a paddle.
at least contribute a bit towards it, u wouldnt want a complete financial debt crawling you when u graduate

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
theone123 said:
at least contribute a bit towards it, u wouldnt want a complete financial debt crawling you when u graduate
No i'm quite happy with my chunk of HECS debt, it gets paid off slowly every year. Chances are the first job most people will get out of uni will fall below the threshold anyway as it keeps on getting raised. And then you always have the option of just leaving the country and working overseas if the 1500-3000 a year out of your paypacket is such a huge concern.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
ziggyboy said:
It's a shame there are no fraternities in Australia.
None that you know of anyway :)

There are real world fraternities and then there are even those wanna be uni fraternities at the various unis around the place.

It's just not a case of the fraternity has a house donated to it by former members and everyone lives in it. Then again we don't really have the kind of layout and culture around to facilitate that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)