• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Uni's set own fees from 2016 (1 Viewer)

astroman

HSC
i read in the budget that uni's will be assigning their own prices for courses and that they will be significanly higher than they are currently. A couple of people i know say that they will rise by 2 or 3 times what they are now (is this true?). This makes me sad coz i wanna go to a good UNI but the fee's might be huge...:( does any1 know what the fees will be like?

mirachael

HSC
Don't worry. The chances of this passing the senate is lower than me getting 99.95

Smooth Operator

HSC
I'm imagining they will work on the market forces of supply and demand, so obviously Go8 Universities will incur higher fee's due to greater demand. Thus also creating a greater tier-system of universities.. Nobody can really accurately estimate what fee's will be but 2-3x sounds about right if we're talking Go8 universities, based upon assumption really. Also HECS is looking to be taken up to market rates, so that will further increase the amounts repaid. Hopefully it doesn't pass the senate.

Lol, even The Australian seems against it..
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/hig...086913803?nk=f52a6fff7dd08ae12d42c314c4a08935

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
It might not be 2 or 3 times, but you can sort of gauge what the Go8s might do with UWA's announced increase of 30%. (source)

But if you're a white male you should be okay in the end anyway.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
do u think all unis will be increasing by around 30% then?
Not really sure to be honest. It's not as significant a raise as the Greens have been saying it'll be but it's still big enough to push basic 3 year degrees to cost almost $50k. It might be an indication of what the Go8's might be able to get away with but there are some Vice-Chancellors that have been particularly vocal about how much they disagreed with fee deregulation (e.g. ex-UTS VC Ross Milbourne) so you would hope that fees don't rise too much in those particular unis.

Having said that though you would expect that at the minimum they will rise by at least the amount that the Government currently subsidizes (which I think is like 20% iirc) given that they are cutting that subsidy too (I think?) so who knows. It's one of those "wait and see" things...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)